ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lower back issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 2/26/2005, 5:43 am    Post subject: Lower back issues Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't know what I did,but have pinched nerve under left hip resulting in cancelling ski trip....toes numb,foot tingles, lots of pain down leg and radiating moderate to severe,,,started Mon. with bad adjustment and too much new movement at gym, had 2 shots of cortisone to relieve inflammation, on Weds. still feel pinch and walking is hard at a fast pace...one Doc, says it's badly strained back and severe muscle spasms holding nerves. Anyone else ever have one of these?? Heard about sciatica pain, this is it, it's alll true! Crying or Very sad
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/27/2005, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello GeorgAz. Almost 2 decades ago I was lying on my side watching TV in the living room. My oldest son was a toddler at the time. He came ripping up behind me and slammed into my hip, giving my back a good twist. I didn't really notice much at the time but the next morning it took me 10 minutes to get out of bed. A spot in my lower back had been tweaked. The nerves were sending out a pain signal which caused the surrounding muscles to contract. That pinched the nerves more, more contraction, and so on. It's a vicious cycle. I've learned a few things about my back to take care of this problem.
First, I do back exercises whenever I think of it. When I keep my back muscles strong they hold things where they should be and the nerves don't get tweaked. This is a great preventive measure.
Sometimes I let my back get out of shape or something else (rugby) causes an episode. I know how to fix it. For me, it's a cocktail of soma and ibuprofen. The soma forces the muscles to relax. The ibuprofen calms the nerves. I can get back to 90% capability in a day with this regimen. I'm usually back to 100% in two days.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 2/27/2005, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been afflicted with back problems periodically since the early 1980s, both lower back spasm and sciatic.
Once back problem begin, they can recur, so taking preventative measures is a wise move.
Like azhiker96 mentioned, back exercise is a good idea, along with an abdominal regimen, which is equally imperative for good back health.
I also use specific Yoga postures daily.
The Soma and ibuprofen (or naproxin) will work wonders for acute pain and spasm. I have found massage and accupressure to also be very beneficial.
I have discovered that, for me, even a 5 lb weight gain will increase my chances of back injury inordinately. (That porridge pizza! Mad )

Hope you feel better soon.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/27/2005, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any irritation along the sciatic nerve will refer pain along the whole nerve. Sitting for long periods is one of the worst things we do to our backs. Stretching (gently), stretching and more stretching of all the back muscle groups and the opposing abs is required everyday.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/27/2005, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I helped AZ Trail folks build .55 mile of trail this weekend. I have a few lower back pain issues at the moment also. I expect, however, that they will go away in time.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 2/28/2005, 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks all.....started last Mon.night.The extreme pain is gone, but spasms still exist and my propriaception and walking gait is off...big toe and l.foot still kind of numb and tingly and still feel pinch in hips...I do stretch and do yoga and Pilates, but this is beyond it all.living on Soma and Alleve.Hope it's a time thing and not a surgical thing. Shocked Certainly can't hike right now or go to gym..found out that a really big Bloody Mary and a Soma is a wondrous thing. Rolling Eyes
Daryl

PostPosted: 2/28/2005, 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whenever I get lower back pain I'll start doing daily sit ups and it seems to recover quicker.
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/28/2005, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, we all know about my back pain travails - and it has been most enlightening.

GeorgAz is correct in one thing - it takes time. I'm coming up on one year since I really injured my back and although I am still very aware of it, I am probably at 90% of my capacity before the injury. The 10% is essentially the things that I either know I can't do any longer or am still very careful when I do them.

You need to get all the symptoms of pain under control before you try too much. Once the spasms/pinching/pressure is under control, you then have to wait for the nerve endings to calm down as well - and standard anti-inflamatory drugs (Alieve, Ibuprofin) can help in that regard somewhat.

I did all kinds of therapy and stretching/exercise - seriously, anything I could even remotely get away with without killing myself I tried. In my opinion it was mostly a wate of time. Not that it was worthless, it all has helped now that the pain is down and the extra strength and conditioning is definitely helping prevent a re-lapse - but getting the pain to go away was merely a matter of waiting it out.

A good way to look at it is that as soon as you feel you don't have any more problems - wait another 2 weeks before you try anything serious.

Good luck with the back - hopefully you won't have the fun that I did and you'll be back on your feet before too long.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 2/28/2005, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks,Daddee. It really makes you appreciate the gift of health, especially thinking of people who live with pain or disability . I have been humbled and am so aware of every move I make now.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/19/2005, 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Update on back...... found that the incorrect adjustment I received on 2/21 caused my sacrum to shift and all nerves and muscles went into spasm...already cost me a ski trip,other treatments and almost $800 out of pocket..can you say "lawsuit"??Found a Rolfer who is able to break down all the crunchy stuff resulting from this...feel sooo much better after one treatment...very deep and painful, and a few more to go,but I am walking much better...still have lack of mobility in toe and arch of foot, but hope all will return....FYI Remi Fota, Neuromuscular Therapy, amazing Hungarian who has vast knowledge in his hands and exercises.Worth every cent!! I so thank the friend who referred him.!!! Very Happy
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 8:44 am    Post subject: Back issue update Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, not so good news..hoped it would resolve, but nada...MRI reveals herniated L5 due to chiro adjustment...Hope it's not surgery,although they have come a long way.. I am a scared cookie right now..Anyone know about Lamininations? microdiscectomy?? Waa! Sad
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Back issue update Reply to topic Reply with quote

GeorgAz wrote:
I am a scared cookie right now..Anyone know about Lamininations? microdiscectomy?? Waa! :(
Yes, but I need to do some paper research. It will be all right.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer, not all HNP's require surgery. Can be a loooong recovery period tho---depends on how the L5S1 nerve roots are doing.

IMO, and I am in no means an expert, microdisectomy patients do well as to surgical recovery-- minimal incision therefore rapid healing with less scar tissue issues.

If you opt for surgery interview your surgeon very carefully. Neurosurgeons can be a bit short on "bedside manner"; you want someone who has done hundreds if not thousands of these type of surgeries.

PT and spinal traction may be options. Talk to your MD.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been going to PT with spinal decompression (Axiom DRX 9000 machine for those who are into this kind of stuff) three times a week. Axiumworldwide.com can provide you with the names of all who have there machines in the Valley. Mine is Scottsdale Rehab Institute, Raj Singh, MD is the neurologist who runs the joint.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/30/2005, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for the input....I have been doing all kinds of treatments and researching more, but will seek compensation for the injury. Would've been easier if I'd done it to myself through some of our questionable athletic endeavors! Not even bragging rights!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: