ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Antelope Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 9:51 am    Post subject: Antelope Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

This could very well be the most beautiful quarter mile in the world. Antelope Canyon is a few miles south of Page, Arizona and is said to be the most photographed slot canyon in the southwest. There are a number of beautiful hikes in the northern Arizona country and along the Utah border. A few are relatively easy and short and there are some very long (like Paria Canyon) and even some that require equipment for climbing. This one is a gem.

Although we took this tour a couple summers ago I feel it worthwhile to establish it as a hike for the web site so others can enjoy it.

Southwest slot canyons are unique as they are molded by water from Navajo Sandstone. This is usually red or rust in color but in the Zion area of Utah the hues and patterns are spectacular but generally not as brilliant. This is why Upper Antelope Canyon is such a great experience. There are hundreds of slot canyons all over the southwest. They are hard to find and can be very small cracks in the earth surface less than 6 inches across. However, sometimes these slot canyons can go hundreds of feet down. It is believed that many are undiscovered.

In 1931 (actually just a few years before I was born) a little Navajo girl was tending sheep south of Page and was trying to round them up when she suddenly discovered what is now called upper Antelope canyon.

The actual canyon is only about 1/4 mile long and has a sandy smooth, level path. This does not sound like much until you walk it yourself! The colors of the sandstone are breath taking. Touring the small canyon between 11 AM and 1 PM will give the best colors—with bright sun, of course. Virtually every second the light and colors change. Upper Antelope Canyon is also called the corkscrew canyon. Not only do the light changes alter the colors but also the many patterns of the sandstone.

Due to the ever increasing tourist traffic it has been necessary to close off both the upper and lower Antelope canyons and restrict the visits to organized tours. However, be very careful about buying tickets. This is restricted Navajo country and fees are charged to visit the canyons. It is strongly recommended that you buy tour tickets in Page at one of several stores that advertise Antelope Canyon tours. Not only will you be dealing with a reputable tour firm but the tours require a 4wd jeep to get through the 2 plus miles of quite deep sand between highway 98 and the upper canyon entrance. Some people have reported bad experiences by buying tickets at certain stands on highway 98 near the turnoff to the canyon and finding that they are not honored at the entrance.

We were lucky to have a guide who knows the area extremely well and guides trips of all lengths throughout the Northern Arizona and Southern Utah area. All trails, including the Grand Canyon trails are his specialty. If you would like to know how to contact him and his name please PM me. I do not want to make this description commercial for everyone.

One very specific reminder I pass along. Do NOT use flash for your photos. I made a mistake in doing this the first time through and the colors just do not show. I shut off my flash the next time and did get some of the colors. This was done with my older 35 mm Minolta and I now have the digital. The 10 photos I include here are just examples and not very good quality. Obviously I am not a photographer but the colors you see are the actual colors. Number 6 in the sequence shows a person walking in the canyon to show the vertical size. Number 9 in the sequence is the best of the lot. I hope soon someone will add some real quality photos to the hike. The canyon is a photographer’s dream. We saw a number of professional photographers with very expensive equipment waiting for just the right light. I had seen a number of photos of Antelope Canyon and always felt they were touched up and the paintings were “over done”. However, I can certainly guarantee that is not the case and the canyon colors are even more stark and beautiful in person than on film.

I would highly recommend touring the canyon between June and September when the sun is more overhead and, as mentioned before, between 11 am and 1 pm to get the greatest benefit. Also, stay around the canyon as long as the tour guide will let you. We walked back and forth several times and everything looked different each time. It is a lot cooler in the canyon than outside so the summer heat should not bother you.

Next time you venture north of Flagstaff to Lees Ferry or the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, go the extra few miles to Page and spend a few hours to see this absolutely wondrous natural display of some of the best art in the world.
Daryl

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is the best photo I have ever seen of antelope canyon:
http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=107973
Taken by a friend late last year. It was taken with a 15 second shutter. As you can see from the page it took second place in the challenge for that week.

These are great as well (same guy took them)
http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=124183
http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=130161
http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=124182

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome pictures ....WOW! Thx for sharing
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is like the most beautiful cathedral. I went once a few years ago into the upper Antelope slot. It is short but very sweet.

While flying over the deserts out in northern Arizona and southern Utah, I have seen numerous slots and fantastic features in the sandstone. I truly believe it when you say that nobody has seen many of them. They are very remote.

Cool post Slowclimber.

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks so very much for adding some photos to mine. Mine are quite amateur but those you share can help people really see how astounding the canyon is. Everyone should go see this amazing canyon. I will bet we saw at least 6 professional photographers with tripods and expensive camera equipment in the canyon at various spots--waiting for the exact moment. We love it so much we actually have two oil paintings of canyon parts in our homw. Again, I emphasize the colors in the photos are REAL and EXACTLY how they look to one's eye.
Hnak

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree, it's a beautiful place. I managed to get a few photos when I was there last September, can't wait to go back. This is in lower Antelope...

BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice shot Hank!

This is one I got with a tiny 2 megapixel credit card sized camera years ago now;

Hnak

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you.... In places like that, it's not to hard to come up with a decent shot. Just set the camera to multiple exposure and swing it around a lot... LOL! (just kidding) I actually do try to compose things, but with an area like that it's a lot easier to get lucky.....
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This hike has been on my list of "Man, get off your lazy duff and go do something about it!" hikes for a few years now.

Maybe I should get off my lazy duff and do something about it...ya' think?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those who may not associate the two, Glen's photos of the Horseshoe bend and other views near Page are all in the Antelope area. Horseshoe bend is about 5 miles south of Page on 89 but you can not see it unless you walk up over the hill---not far but very well worth it. The slot canyons are astounding. There is a web site that has photos of rock climbers who repell down the canyon walls, from Zion to various slot canyons around southern utah and northern Arizona. One person said there were thousands of them. I don't really believe that but hundreds--yes. The Navajo lands hold many secrets like Grand Falls etc. There are many places to camp in the total Glen Canyon area and various motels that are extremely reasonable. Page only exists because of the Glen Canyon Dam that made Lake Powell. I used to stay at Wahweap Marina Lodge when it was one small building with a boat dock! We stopped there a few years ago and there are long buildings and restaurants all over the place. By all means, go as soon as you can. i have shown photos to my neighbors who did not know wuch was there.

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I really can spell. My fingers can't
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 2/17/2005, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Slowclimber wrote:
I used to stay at Wahweap Marina Lodge when it was one small building with a boat dock! We stopped there a few years ago and there are long buildings and restaurants all over the place.

Same here. I remember that one hotel section. We used to land on a dirt strip just up the hill and hike down. There was a swim beach not too far from there where all the europeans would go talk off all their clothes. Finally NPS set up a Nude Beach area but I don't know what became of it. Probably high and dry by now. LOL
fototripper

PostPosted: 6/17/2013, 1:45 pm    Post subject: How to Photograph Antelope Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

I realize this board is 'hike specific' but pretty much anyone who visits Antelope Canyon is going to want to take pictures because of the spectacular beauty of this place.

I've put together a Photographers Guide to Antelope Canyon to help ensure you get the best pictures during your hike through Upper Antelope Canyon.

http://www.fototripper.com/antelope-canyon-photo-guide-part1/

Here's a shot I got while in the canyon.

[img]http://www.fototripper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/antelope-canyon-photo-guide1.jpg[img]

Enjoy.
Gavin - Fototripper.com[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: