ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
info on Pinnicle Peak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
as far as my knee is concerned, it went out on me cuz it was totaly out of shape. I have been hiking camelback mountain once a week and when i do it i hike it twice. camelback twice seams to be more difficult than Granite Mountain. i have not had any problems with it since I got it into shape.

Glad to hear the knee's OK. The Pinnacle Peak trail just circles the mountain....sorta like the Squaw Peak circuference trail. If you're doing doubles on Squaw you can probably run the Pinnacle Peak trail backwards in your sleep!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just circles the mountain Question thats it Question how boring Exclamation I thot it at least went up it a bit until it got to the top spire. Ug, i think that one is out for me. Confused Yuck what a bore. Crazy

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
azrocks

PostPosted: 1/17/2003, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's not uncommon to see people climbing up the main peak without ropes. Some are probably expert climbers, some are daredevils whose luck hasn't run out. The rock is quite slippery. In the guide books you may see a route described as class 4. That doesn't mean it's so easy that you don't need a rope, it means there are no bolts and nowhere to place pro, so a rope wouldn't help.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, thats a pretty scetchy climb Shocked
I'm not much into the whole ropes thing, i dont know much about rock climbing. I've done it a few times, but nothing real serious, just about a few climbs that were about 100 feet on the back side of Mt. Elden in Flagstaff and the rock climbing gyms.
I have done class 4 before, but it was fairly easy, did not need ropes and it was exposed enouph to rattle my nerves a little.
I wont be doin Pinnicle Peak any time soon.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
flechenbones

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just climbed Pinnacle Peak for the first time recently. It does require a rope - the first pitch is described as class 4 but most disagree with that assessment. There is no way to protect it. The remainder of the climb can be protected and has some awkward moves on it but nothing too difficult.

flechenbones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: