ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Havasu Falls campground

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
photohiker

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 3:38 am    Post subject: Havasu Falls campground Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the water at the havasu falls campground has to be filtered? I recently called and made campground reservations for a few days in may,and I was told that the water was treated. The havasupai website says the opposite. It tells you to treat the water before drinking. I don't want to carry a water pump if I don't have to.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is a tiny treatment buidling located at the campsite with a faucet on an outside wall. It should be okay for cooking, but I wouldn't trust it for drinking. Go get yourself a bottle of water purification tablets, or liquid, to bring along. I treat all water when I'm there.

The spring water spigots near the purification building should also be treated.

It would be a bummer to get all the way down there and have someone get sick.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've drank it straight out of the treatment building without any ill effects, but like Tom said if you want to play it safe filter or treat with tablets.

Both Crypto and Giradia have at least a seven day incubation period so the chance of getting stomach upset while you are down there would be slim.

They had major flooding down there from the recent rains that did some severe damage. At one point they thought it was going to take out the town. they evacuated a lot of people.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ditto to AzHeat, I've drank straight from the water station without treating (all 4 trips) without getting sick. Mary
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Ditto to AzHeat, I've drank straight from the water station without treating (all 4 trips) without getting sick. Mary

Me too! Very Happy
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've drunk water straight from the spring, before it goes through the treatment station and didn't have a problem. You've got to catch it from the pipe, not from the catch pool underneath.
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I must be the only paranoid one... we filter *always*. As an additional bonus, if you decide to hike down to the Colorado, then you can bring the filter and not have to carry too much water for the trip.

Smile

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:
Quote:

Me too! Very Happy

Me three! Very Happy ....then again...I drink city of Phoenix water! Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hnak

PostPosted: 1/26/2005, 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Sande J wrote:
Quote:

Me too! Very Happy

Me three! Very Happy ....then again...I drink city of Phoenix water! Rolling Eyes

Me four... I've enjoyed water straight from a number of springs in the Canyon with no ill effect (yet)... Thunder Spring, Deer Spring, etc... However, there is nothing wrong with treating the water. I know a couple people who did get giardia when they didn't expect to, so it can happen...
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/27/2005, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah yeah. Heap big spring drinkers we got here.

We'll talk again when you have to run out of the tent clenching your "butt cheeks" at 3:00 a.m. on a cold morning...

rofl
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/27/2005, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in awe that paintninaz actually drinks City of Phoenix water! Wacko

I get the filtered stuff from the blue machines outside of Fry's. Yes

HIG, you just described my first trip to Rocky Point! I think it was the oysters on the half shell. Doh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: