ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help! Need to learn to Rapell...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have an extra set of gear you can borrow, if you like.

I've gotten all my stuff at REI - haven't been to the Hiking Shack yet, but I think they carry climbing gear too.

Now, where to go and what to do ?!!
terricita10

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63 wrote:
Hikngrl wrote:
I am so bummed! I am on that weekend! I am dying to learn to rappell....
Same here! There's no way I can get the day off, and I really need the practice Sad(

Hikngrl, let's check our schedules, I think we are going to synch on our weekdays off next week.

Oh you guys me too.... I cant make this Sunday but if another outing is put together would love to go and just watch and learn some basics.

Laughing

Terri
AK

PostPosted: 1/21/2005, 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The 30th @ 10am looks good for me! I'll try to gather up the nessesary equipment.

"Can't think of a good signature quote". - Me
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/21/2005, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As of now, the 30th looks great. If that changes I'll let you know.

I'm only a few miles from camelback, are there bike-racks there, if so I can ride and skip occupying another parking spot. Also whats the deal with extra equipment? is this stuff I can rent from REI or will somone have loaner stuff?
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The 30th works for me at 10am but if you all need to change--no big deal!

February is prettty well booked....gear: I have two harnesses, two figure 8's, one locking carabiner and a rope far longer than needed at Camelback but will bring as knots practice is needed by this guy...I'll check back here later this week.

Question: what is a BRD (Belay/Rappel Device)? Figure 8 ? Don't really know the terminology here....
fritzski

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs,

Glad to hear you'll be there.

To answer your question, yes, your figure 8 is a "belay/rappel device". There are many designs on the market and while figure 8s are still preferred by some, the "tubular" style is now far more popular. Almost every company one or more variations of them. They are lighter, won't twist the rope as badly, and certain designs have built in versatility.

Your 8 will work just fine.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Mike, since your not much bigger than me I'll probably just try to fit in your harness if that's cool.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/23/2005, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fritzski--thank you for your help and thorough answer Very Happy I appreciate it!!

Matt--no problem!! See you all soon!!!
HUM469

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, this Sunday at 10:00 AM I might actually be free! Do you all mind one more? I don't need to learn, instead I often help teach boy scouts to climb and rappel. I have two harnesses, a bunch of carabiners, and one or two ATC's as well as a wall hauler for those who get stuck on the wall! Seriously though let me know, is there room, or will it be crouded?
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't think its too full yet... I show the following people attending this Sunday at 10am:

Instructor-Type Folk: Fritzki, Cactuscat, and HUM469

People Interested in Learning: Chihiggs, Matt Gilbert, AK, and Vashti

Which corner is the AJ's on at 44th & Camelback? I will definitely need to meet up there, as otherwise I don't know where I am going...

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/25/2005, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool - I'm glad this is coming together!

I was bouldering on the Search and Rescue boulder the other day; it's a fun one. It will be a fun rappell too - it's pretty high for learning and practice. There's a least one climbing route on it that I definitely wouldn't mind toproping as well.

I'm dreading the parking situation, though ... it really sucks on weekends. I live really close and would ride my bike too (great solution!) except I'll most likely be coming straight from the airport. Fritzski - I'll try to meet you there as early as I can but it will probably be closer to 9:30 than 9:00, so let's just meet at the boulder - I don't want you standing around the parking lot waiting for me. Mr. Green
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/27/2005, 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Help! Where exactly is the Search & Rescue boulder??? Smile

Very Happy

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/27/2005, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's about ten minutes up from the parking lot on the main summit trail. It's a huge rectangular block of a boulder - the trail passes just to the right on the top of the boulder. You can't miss it - there's room for about 20 people to have a party on top of it. Fritzski and/or myself should be waiting.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/28/2005, 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am completely unfamiliar with camelback. I've never stepped foot on it before. Is there just one main parking lot? Is this one of those things I just can't miss?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/28/2005, 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt, this map should get you there. The entrance (Echo Canyon Parkway) is on the south side of McDonald, just east of Tatum. If you're coming from the south, take 44th street north of Camelback Rd. 44th turns east and becomes McDonald. Go past the light at Tatum and take the next right. If you're coming from the north, take Tatum south till it ends at McDonald, turn left, then the next right. The parking lot fills up fast, especially on weekends, so if it's full, you may have to backtrack, park along McDonald west of Tatum and walk back to the trailhead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: