ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help! Need to learn to Rapell...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
lzyboy

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fritzski, I'd like to jump on that Weaver's Needle climb, it's been a couple years since I've been up there, and I've been itching to go back.

Don't forget folks, the rappel is one of the most dangerous aspects of technical rope work. As Cactuscat says, anchors are critical, the more the better. When learning, backup belays are essential to avoid runaway descents (wear gloves to avoid rope burn). It's nice to know how to take pressure off your rappel device should you inadvertently get your shirt or (God forbid) your hair caught up in there (ask the girl that hung from her hair for several hours on the side of Camelback, waiting for a rescue). If your route is a series of drops, without reclimbing, it will be necessary to learn to rig for rope retrieval so learning double rope rappels would be wise (carry a lot of sacrificial rap rings and webbing). For wilderness work good things to know are rope padding, self-belays (prusiks) just in case you get a rock on your noggin and you aren't wearing your helmet (you have a helmet, right?), and how to avoid rapping off the end of your rope (unless you're 20' over a nice deep pool of water and just want to have some fun!). As I'm sure you'll learn, there are a lot of 'what if's to be addressed. Just be safe, y'all!

Another popular place for practicing that's out east is Coon's Bluff at Phon D Sutton rec site on the Lower Salt River (where the Verde comes in).

peter

Rosalia de Castro
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/17/2005, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd be willing to help with a class or teach a small group too depending on date/time/location.

For a first time rappel 10 feet is big enough to learn. Learning at higher hieghts can be scary/dangerous. Also there are about a million ways to set up an anchor it's always a judgement call. 2 anchors are goor, 3 are better. There are many different types of devices to use to rappel also, they all work differently.

PostPosted: 1/19/2005, 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be interested in this myself. Is there a minimum equipment list that an " AZH Instructor" would recommend?

"Can't think of a good signature quote". - Me
fritzski

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi everybody.

Looks like this little rappelling gathering is on for Sun. the 30th. Thanks go to Vashti for providing the initial idea. Although not an official "group hike", anyone interested in learning or just watching is more than welcome. Cactuscat has volunteered to be the leader and I think Daryl has also offered to help. I'll leave it up to Cactuscat to decide when everybody wants to meet. I might be a little late, but I'll try to get there as soon as I can.

One disclaimer: none of us are certified instructors and we're just there to provide informal instuction to those interested. Done correctly, rappelling is very safe, but everyone is there at their own risk. Learning and using all the normal safety precautions will be the objective of the day.

The location is at the Camelback "Search & Rescue" boulder just uphill from the parking lot and off the left side of the Echo Cyn Trail. You can't really miss it. We'll gather on top of the boulder within easy sight of the trail.

Minimum equipment needed would be a climbing harness, a locking carabiner, and a belay/rapell device (BRD). Although a helmet is always a good idea, the sanitized environment we'll have won't really make them necessary. Some members have also offered extra equipment earlier in the thread. I can bring one extra setup.

The earlier comments by Lzyboy and Cactuscat are right on the money. Despite the fact that it is quite straight forward and easy to learn, more climbing accidents occur during rapelling than any other phase. The reasons are numerous, mostly careless, and usually easily avoided. We'll try to cover the usual pitfalls during the class.

After the gathering I'm planning on taking Cactuscat and Jw63 up the classic Praying Monk climb. We have room for one more climber. It is a beginner level climb and only requires the most basic skills. Ck1 or Daryl ??? The Monk is just uphill from the S&R Boulder, so any aspiring climbers are also welcome to spectate.

One thing that's always a problem at Echo Cyn is parking. If its a beautiful weekend day that place gets a waiting line. Anybody know of any overflow area down the street where you won't get a ticket?
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for putting up all this info, Fritzski - I just don't like to type that much!

If one more person says I'm the "leader" or the "teacher" - then I'm not coming! Rolling Eyes Are you guys kidding me or what? I've tried to tell everyone in PM's that I do not know enough to lead anything, besides even if I do I'm not the "leader" type.

As far as time, I'm pretty open - I got the day off work so I can do the climb afterwards. I was thinking about 10am how does that work for everyone? Parking will definitely be a problem - maybe some people could meet at the AJ's on the corner of 44th and Cammelback and car pool from there ...

I also have one extra harness and BRD if someone needs them.
Daryl

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I highly doubt I can make it. That weekend already looks booked. I might try to write up an article for the article section with safety tips and things to remember to do.
Thanks for the offer to climb the praying monk. I'd love to do that some day.

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got an overnighter planned that weekend in the Supes. If there's a repeat later I'd like to attend. I've done some rappeling in the past and recently bought a static line, harness, webbing, biners, and shoes. Have fun guys and be safe.
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woo HOO! Thanks to everyone for helping to make this happen! I am game for meeting at 10am at the AJ's on 44th & camelback to carpool. I have a harness already, and I will pick up a BRD.

I look forward to meeting everyone then.

Smile
-Vashti

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I'm going to sit this one out. Maybe next time.

TIM
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I might come just to watch...document said activities on film...that kinda thing! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am so bummed! I am on that weekend! I am dying to learn to rappell....

I want to shine!
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
I am so bummed! I am on that weekend! I am dying to learn to rappell....
Same here! There's no way I can get the day off, and I really need the practice :((

Hikngrl, let's check our schedules, I think we are going to synch on our weekdays off next week.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm off the following weekend ... Any takers for something then?

Actually, I'm off Feb 2 - 9 so I can go anytime during that week - maybe something that combines a little hiking/climbing/rapelling adventure?
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay so who CAN make it on the 30th?

AK, Higgs, Matt Gilbert, CK1? C'mon guys, it'll be fun! Mr. Green
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/20/2005, 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kelly! I can play the 9th!!!! I don't have any equipment though so I will HAve to look into the cost of equipment and such before then! Where is the best place to buy?

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: