ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help! Need to learn to Rapell...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/14/2005, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Help! Need to learn to Rapell... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could provide input on how I could learn to rapell outdoors. Technically, I suppose I know how to rapell, as in I've rock climbed multiple times in the gym and once outside with friends who set up a climbing route. However, there are a few hikes I'd like to do that have drops that require a rapell or two. Thus, I would need to learn what gear is necessary, how to set up anchors, etc.

Can anyone provide any input on where I might find someone willing to show me the ropes, literally?

Very Happy
Many Thanks!
-Vashti!

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/14/2005, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm quite sure that cactuscat, Fritski, or JW63 would be a wealth of knowledge in that respect.

I've done it before, but have no equipment. I've been thinking about getting some stuff, but have a bit of a fear of heights... or let's say exposure. I'll conquer it someday.
fritzski

PostPosted: 1/14/2005, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd be happy to show you, but time is my biggest problem these days. If I could think of some wall we could use close by it would be no problem???
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/14/2005, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fritzski wrote:
I'd be happy to show you, but time is my biggest problem these days. If I could think of some wall we could use close by it would be no problem???
Hey, Fritzski, what is close by for you? Just south of Siphon Draw? Queen Creek canyon? East north east of Geronimo's Cave?

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/14/2005, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Woo HOO! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

That would be super cool. Any of those locations would be fine with me.

I understand the pressed for time problem, as I usually have that problem myself.... Would Sunday, January 30th work?????

As for my own gear, I can only lay claim to a harness, climbing shoes, and chalk bag. Would I need to bring anything else?

Very Happy
-Vashti Smile Very Happy Smile

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
fritzski

PostPosted: 1/14/2005, 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually I was thinking maybe we could just find a building wall or bridge or someting like that right around town, although I admit nothing is coming to mind.

As I mentioned, when I get that one "kitchen pass" every week or two any more, that is my chance to grab the day and go for it. Even going out to the Supes or Camelback would involve a good portion of the day. Let's keep thinking about it, we'll come up with something that works.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey guys, Papago Park Buttes has plenty of options for climbing/rappeling. I'm pretty certain there are anchors already in place on some of the taller routes. Camelback might have some options as well.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually I was thinking maybe we could just find a building wall or bridge or someting like that

Well I've always wanted to repel down Hoover Dam.

But seriously I would like to learn this also, so if I guys wouldn't mind one more person I would love to tag along. I'm pretty booked up also so if I can't make it for whatever date you guys choose then I'll just have to learn some other time.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Papago Park would work - and Camelback for sure. The Search and Rescue Boulder would be perfect at Camelback.

Learning to rap off fixed anchors is easy - building your own anchors is a little trickier. Misty and I just recently climbed and rapped off anchors that I built - our first time doing that! It was great, and I'd be happy to participate in a little AZH Rappelling 101 class. Smile

Are you going to be mostly rappelling, or a good deal of belaying too? For strictly rappelling I'd recommend a Figure 8 device, but for all around use go with either a Black Diamond ATC, or the Trango Jaws (that what I use).

Other things that you'll need to go it on your own include; rope (duh!), and some runners - the lengths of tubular webbing that you use to sling around trees and boulders, etc to build your anchors. A couple 5.5 foot lengths, a couple 9.5 foot, and 14.5 foot or two is a good beginning. Also a few each of locking and non-locking carabiners ... time to go to REI!! Mr. Green Also you should get a book and learn how to tie a few knots - obviously the figure eight and figure eight on a bight, as well as the water knot and the fisherman's, and bowline.

God, I love this stuff!!

I could probably go the 30th if it were early and somewhere close to me (Camelback or PP). I have rope, runners, 2 belay/rappell devices, and carabiners.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 8:26 am    Post subject: tag along Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you all don't mind, I would be love to join and could do it the 30th as well. I've rappelled at Papago only and am NOT an expert at the set-up (or anything in life for that matter Laughing ) as I last went with someone whom was knowledgable but not too willing to share said knowledge... I have two harnesses and 2 figure eights, a rope, I'll have to look and see what else--been 3 years....

Kelly--haven't done this in long enough to be confident on the knots and what not--but would like to come for a refresher--I mentioned the extra gear I have in case any of you would like/need to use it....

Vashti, do you mind another tag along?

ps. Colin is correct at Papago on the 100ft face looking ENE and a couple of other places there are anchors in place...the 100ft thing is a GUESSTIMATE Embarassed My rope is longer than the drop whatever it is as I am back here to type about it... Spinning
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: tag along Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:
I have two harnesses and 2 figure eights, a rope, I'll have to look and see what else--been 3 years....

Kelly--haven't done this in long enough to be confident on the knots and what not--but would like to come for a refresher--I mentioned the extra gear I have in case any of you would like/need to use it...
Good deal, Mike. I was going to post this topic myself since several people mentioned rappeling recently.

If I can make it I will. I have to replace all my hardware, so I might not have everything.

As Kelly, mentioned, there are a couple bolted boulders at Camelback that would work just fine and provide some bouldering problems at the same time.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
fritzski

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I didn't think of that, but Cactuscat is right, the rescue boulder would be a great choice. I was thinking of the rappel gulley up on the Headwall, but the boulder would probably be the better choice especially on a weekend... speaking of which, a weekend would probably be harder for me to make so I'm deffering to Cactuscat who sounds like she is more than qualified to show everybody the "ropes" so to say!

I will mention this though, if any of the neophyte climbers on this site were interested, I would be more than willing to lead a small group up the Praying Monk on Camelback which is a classic beginners climb. Maybe some weekday afternoon in Feb after work to avoid the weekend crowd.

Some other possibilites this Spring could also be The Hand in the Supes and Weavers Needle.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll take you up on that Praying Monk climb, Fritzski!! wave I've been wanting to do that, as well as Weaver's Needle since I started climbing.

I'm not trying to come off like I am any kind of expert about this stuff - I'm more than willing to share what I do know, though. It sounds like the other people who are interested mostly have some level of experience as well, so yeah, let's all get together and share what we know and have some fun!
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

The more the merrier in my book, so anyone who can make it is fine with me ... assuming Cactuscat approves the number of people to teach! Wink

I will head off to REI and see what I can scare up on the way of gear. If Jan 30 still works, let me know a time and meeting place, and I'll be there!!!

Many thanks! Very Happy
Very Happy
-Vashti

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/15/2005, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't want to crowd anybody, but if this turns into an actual class, I would like to reserve myself a seat. If invitations are sent out I'd like to recieve one but otherwise I won't intrude, I'll just try to jump on the bandwagon sooner next time Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: