ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Downpour forces Sedona evacuations; 89A closed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Downpour forces Sedona evacuations; 89A closed Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1229sedona29-ON.html
azcentral.com wrote:
Downpour forces Sedona evacuations; 89A closed
By Mark Shaffer
Republic Flagstaff Bureau
Dec. 29, 2004 11:25 AM

FLAGSTAFF - A torrential overnight downpour set off mud and rock slides in Oak Creek Canyon, triggering evacuations in the Sedona area and closure of a 14-mile stretch of U.S. 89A early Wednesday in the canyon.

Sgt. Rod Wigman of the state Department of Public Safety in Flagstaff said that conditions within the canyon were "as bad as you can imagine them."

"We had an officer come up the road about 9 a.m. and there were rocks and boulders everywhere and large trees washing down the creek," Wigman said.

Wigman also said that it was feared that the large volume of water would wash out bridges along creek crossings in the town, a tourist destination for its red rocks and its arts-and-crafts stores.

The water early Wednesday was already way over the top of the bridges and at least 300 people were being evacuated in the area, where scenic Oak Creek rose 11 feet during the night, reaching 14 feet by midmorning. It was likely to crest at 1661/27 feet later Wednesday, the National Weather Service said.

Mike Staudenmaier, a National Weather Service spokesman in Bellemont, said that the Flagstaff area had received up to 2 ½ inches of rain within just a few hours early Wednesday.
"The rain was even heavier to the south of us. Some of the mountains in the Yavapai County area received 3 inches and it's still coming down," Staudenmaier said.

The heavy rains weakened Oak Creek canyon walls, some of which were "collapsing" Wednesday, a state Department of Public Safety spokeswoman said.

Conditions are so dangerous that not enough emergency vehicles such as fire trucks are permitted to enter the area, the DPS official said.

Traffic has been shut down on 89A, the main thoroughfare in the region, in both north and south lanes from milepost 376 to 390, between Sedona and Flagstaff.

DPS officials plan to reevaluate conditions around noon to decide on the length of the road closure.

"When I saw the rain this morning, and I thought about the melting snow, I thought 'Gosh, the canyon must be a mess today," said Raquel Poturalski, spokeswoman for the Coconino National Forest.

"It's unbelievable," said Sandy Lopez, the concierge at Junipine-your Creekside Retreat, where there are 35 people staying. "I'm up on the hill above it and inside and it sounds like a big train or something. A lot of the guests checking out thought it was thunder."

GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 1:11 pm    Post subject: I was too Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just about to post this too. I guess all our rain prayers are being answered at the fruition of the year.
Who's up for surfing Oak Creek?

GTG
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's bad in Flagstaff, too. I was just downtown, and the water is 2 feet deep on some residential streets just south of downtown. They've closed several roads around town. On the bright side, thankfully it was too warm for snow. We'd be measuring it in feet if it had been snowing the last couple of days.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The mapping work just never ends. Laughing

We have only gotten a few sprinkles down here. We was robbed. Mr. Green
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lots of room in those lakes to save some of it Smile
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got the call that I knew would be coming. They want stereo mapping photography of everthing. There are some pumped up people out there. Mr. Green We shall see if we can get in there tomorrow. There is quite a list of sites that were (or should I say are) affected.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice avatar Glen.

That is an amazing amount of water. up 11, 14 then 27 feet. I have always wanted to see something of that magnitude from a ledge in safe territory, to see how this happens

Glitter

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Visiting Los Angeles for the holidays and just got 5 and a half inches of rain in two nights! Most I have ever seen here, can't wait to get back to AZ!
Hnak

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not too bad in Prescott. The streets are ok, just a lot of water flowing in the normally dry washes...

http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albuq46&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was out in the Supes this afternoon. Everything that could flow, was flowing. The road back to first water was washed out in several places and the rangers were warning people about going further than the firstwater turnoff on the highway.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Matt you say the road to first water was washed out? Do you think it will be passable by car tomorrow morning?
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depends if the water is still flowing and how deep the wash cut the road where it crosses.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crud! Ihave my 4x4 truck but we are gonna have a hard time squishing 4 people in there. I am sure we could make in that though.

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang, we were robbed in Ahwatukee.

I love to see the Superstitions flowing. First time I was to Boulder Creek you could hear it long before you could see it. Didn't realize how rare a sight that was.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 12/29/2004, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am excited! I missed it this spring when the Supes were flowin!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Campgrounds & Road Conditions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: