ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
EXCERPTS FROM MY JOURNAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abe

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 8:36 am    Post subject: EXCERPTS FROM MY JOURNAL Reply to topic Reply with quote

In an earlier post, Glen wrote, "You have a very interesting journal Abe. I think you enjoy your time out there very much." After reading this I gave it some thought. Clearly, I do not consider myself a good writer; especially, after reading many on AZH which transports me to their adventure and tickles my imagination, thoughts, to feel, and have the desires to visit the awesome areas described. Nevertheless, to bring 2004 to a close and welcome the birth of 2005, I thought I would write some of my favorite excerpts out of my journal for 2004. I assure every one I will keep it very PG rated, with very little word change to replace bad words that sometime slips when I'm writing.

Very Happy Jan 18th, Sheridan Trail; "Trail is clearly for ATV and cattle. Piss and crap everywhere."

Very Happy Second day of spring, Granite Mountain; "On the way down passed a fine looking gal hiking up. Let her pass me as I stopped and appreciate the view."

Very Happy Memorial Day, Benham Trail; "Pretty much quiet, save for the orchestra of the wind in the pines and a low hum of interstate commerce, tourists, and perhaps a few locals traveling I-40 to the north of me."

Very Happy July 18, Hyde Mountain; "On top of Hyde Mountain. The area is teaming w/ life and noise. Insects flying, birds singing. Yet! Yet! Silence overwhelms me!"

Very Happy August 2-4, North Rim, Grand Canyon; "People exploit it, people destroy it."

Very Happy August 7, Iron King Trail;

"Lonely is the wind
carressing the landscape on
its quest for once was."

"This hike is one of sadness and tears. The low rumble of thunder; calling, reminding me of days past. Long gone with the growth of Lonesome Valley. Of my getting old."

Very Happy Sept. 5, Abineau/Bear Jaw Trails; "The hunter and I parted ways and now I sit listening to the classical sounds of the forest."

Very Happy Sept. 10-12, Grand Canyon; "So they left to head back up and I walked with Marta to Indian Gardens. A pretty young lady with full round face, brown hair, and brown eyes you could fall in........"

"The clouds thicken. Awesome! The sound of thunder in the canyon. Wind picking up. I forgot, today is 9/11!"

"The shadows chased the sunlight away, the day has ended, the sun has set. I pray Ben is safe in Iraq, a war I do not support. I miss him."

"The shadows chased the
sunlight, the day draws to an end
silently sleeping."

Very Happy Oct. 2, Doggie Trail, my first group hike and the only entry I made that day on the hike.; "Nice group of guys and gals. Brief break while a couple answer the call of nature. Warm, but the wind is cooling as it works it way thru the canyon.

Very Happy Oct. 31, Boynton Canyon; "Chris is with me, he is working his way down. We were looking for cliff dwellings and he got a bit scared. Steep. Very steep."

Very Happy Dec. 19, Jacks Canyon; "Cows! I don't mind eatin' 'em medium rare, but it bothers me seeing them on the trail."
paintninaz

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EXCERPTS FROM MY JOURNAL Reply to topic Reply with quote

Abe wrote:
Clearly, I do not consider myself a good writer;

Gee Abe, I'd beg to differ with you on that one... Amazed I found all of your excerpts to be quite enjoyable! Agree

Thanks for sharing them!!!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing these gems Abe. I really liked the peak into your personal hiking journal.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Abe,

How wonderful of you to share some of your personal thoughts. The Haiku's are great!

Happy Holidays

Merry Christmas

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
I really liked the peak into your personal hiking journal.

pun intended?

peek/peak....
pfredricks

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Naw, Matt, it was clearly a Freudian!
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:
Naw, Matt, it was clearly a Freudian!

That's what is was, Freudian, Freudian happens. Mr. Green

You know me Matt, "current/currant" "peek/peak" Laughing I'm lucky enough to get it out at all sometimes. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Abe

PostPosted: 12/24/2004, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peak/ peek, it don't matter, did a double take and appreciated it. Considering my writing and spelling while hiking can be terrible. Thanks for the comments all, pulled out my new 2005 journal and its raring to go.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 12/25/2004, 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That sounds like a year well spent!

Very good writings. I appreciate your candor in sharing your thoughts.
Good stuff, Abe.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: