ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Colin's marathon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Colin's marathon Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin, just wondering, how's the training coming? I think of this often and nothing has been said since the 'old site'. Hope it's going well.
ck1

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Cindy...thanks for asking...the main thing I've learned over the past 10+ weeks of marathon training is that I'm not a marathon runner. I GET SOOOO BORED!!!...after about an hour and a half, I'm done...maybe if I were running somewhere spectacular, but Mesa is not it...our longest run has been 18 miles...with 20 planned for Sunday...sore arches...chaffing...discovered why some runners wear bandaids on their nipples...discovered the need for powergel...and running with a few bucks for gas station water breaks...March 9th can't come soon enough...I'll be excited to do it, but also to be done with it...

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maybe not a marathon runner but it sounds like your going to make it. Razz That will make you a marathon runner! 20 on Sunday? Sounds like you are on, if not ahead of schedule. Good going. I am going to run the half at the Valley of the Sun. Pneumonia got the better of me for the Lost Dutchman. I envy the miles your getting in. This will be a great feat in your life even if only once. It will prove everything you set out to prove. Not that you are a marathon runner but that you have the dedication to set a goal and stick to it. After this anything else will be a piece of cake! Good going. You should be very, very proud. Wink
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go Colin! I always had chaffing between my thighs and used vaseline; so, here I am on the shuttle to take us out to Golden Gate Park where the Marathon started; all personal items, gym bags, etc are back at Civic Center where this thing ends; and I have this sheet of paper towel with big glob of vaseline....remember, this is San Francisco Rolling Eyes Did I tell you I ran the first mile in sub four minutes? Shocked
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin,

Have you tried Body Glide ? It works quite well...

Hang in there & you'll love it once you are done. Razz
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 2/10/2003, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do we really need to know ALL this?? Laughing
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/11/2003, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

and I have this sheet of paper towel with big glob of vaseline....remember, this is San Francisco Did I tell you I ran the first mile in sub four minutes?

This is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much information here Hooli. Shocked

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 2/11/2003, 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions...I know. It didn't occur to me to use it, even though I use it on my feet...my personal favorite is Udder Cream...

ck1

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, after 18 + weeks of training, the Valley of the Sun Marathon started today at 6:30 am. I finished a little less than 6 hours later. I was doing fine until mile 21. It is at that point that I believe I realized what PAIN means. Miles 21-26 took me longer than miles 1-8.

But...I am finished. I have run a marathon. Checked it off my life list about an hour ago.

From here out I'll stick to 1/2 marathons.

A big THANKS to everyone here for your support!

jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So many congratulations, Colin!!! Hiking Hiking Arizonaheat and I were just talking about you and the marathon on our trek today.

Great job... good for you!! Agree I am so proud of you!!

Now go celebrate!! Beer Woohoo...

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congratulations!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good job Colin Exclamation As Jaimi said, we talked about you today wondering if today was the day. When I pulled out of Las Sendas this morning around 6:30 they had one lane blocked and McDowell was all set up, complete with aid station, and I thought today is Colin's big day.

Kudos for a great accomplishment Yes Agree Beer

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way to go Colin. Exclamation Exclamation You ARE a marathon runner. Crazy Most importantly you did as you said and proved to YOURSELF you had the discipline to train and finish. I had to sit this one out. I've been thrown a curve ball in the game of life but I hope to end up stronger in the end. Good job! You do know there will be the first ever Arizona Rock and Roll marathon in Jan, don't you? God willing I will be there. Hope to see you there!!!!!!!!!!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/9/2003, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great job, I was headed up to bike the Great Western Trail when I observed the runners this morning and I was wondering how you did.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, done Colin - never wanted to do a marathon myself - sounds like too much work. But I admire those who do.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: