ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Signs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Signs Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone saw this movie, but I just finished watching it in complete darkness(except the tv of course), and wow my heart is just now getting back to its normal state. I have really enjoyed all three of Shamalyn's(sp?) movies, but I think this was by far the best. Whew!! Beam me up
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't seen it. Mrs Mike doesn't like those kind of movies, so I have to see them with friends, or watch them while she's in a different room. Laughing I do want to see it, so thanks for the review!
plummer150

PostPosted: 2/7/2003, 11:58 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That movie is great, not as great as The Ring though. Definitly check that movie out when it comes out on dvd. Can anyone guess where Signs was filmed by the way?........Yup, thats right, none other than....Pennsylvania! Yeah! Wink
cakewalk

PostPosted: 2/8/2003, 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was actually dissapointed with Signs. After all the hype, I thought it was going to be more scientific, kinda like Contact was. I will admit, however, it did have its moments.

The ring didnt hold my attention for more than the first 10 minutes, it sits in a pile with thte rest of downloaded movies.
ck1

PostPosted: 2/8/2003, 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Signs Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:
I don't know if anyone saw this movie, but I just finished watching it in complete darkness(except the tv of course), and wow my heart is just now getting back to its normal state. I have really enjoyed all three of Shamalyn's(sp?) movies, but I think this was by far the best. Whew!! Beam me up

OK...maybe we have a "sign" here db....I too watched Signs friday night(the 7th)...I too was in total darkness...yea, I jumped a few times...great movie...excellent underlying message as well...

"The Journey is the Destination"
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/8/2003, 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cakewalk, I also loved the movie contact. What I love about Shamalyn's movies is the way he ties everything together. Also in Signs, he basically made a great movie, imo, without much there. I mean that there really wasn't much to the movie prop wise or special effect wise for the most part, and it took place mainly on the that one farm. Yet he was able to create a great story with a great message, as ck1 said, thats the type of thing he did with 6th sense & unbreakable.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was actually very disappointed in "Signs" - you're trying to tell me that a creature that can hold a medium sized boy with one arm, who can jump onto the roof of a house without any effort, who are essentially a "hunter-killer" species - is somehow foiled by a locked door? They weren't strong enough to kick it down? From a pantry no less? Their excellent "problem solving" ability couldn't tell them to just go get something bigger to bash the door in with?

And a species that is affected adversely by water - aren't humans made of over 80% water - but they still want us dead, for what? food? They can't touch water but they can ingest it? Isn't our whole planet 3/4 water? Doesn't something like 3/4 of the world's population live in costal cities? Wouldn't this seriously affect their ability to "harvest" us? If there were no crop circles near water - doesn't that REALLY affect their ability to harvest us? How close? close enough that a local resivoir counts - but ocean's don't?

Sorry - there were just a few too many things that stretched credulity that I just couldn't take it. It had a good premise - and some decent spooky moments - but after about half way through it just got too silly for me.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I see your points daddee, I don't know if you saw his other two movies, neither are really "believable" in the sense that they could happen, in my opinion. I think it really comes down to suspension of disbelief, which I think is required in almost every movie made. I too find myself analyzing parts of some movies, and I don't seem to enjoy the movies where I end up doing it.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really enjoyed "6th Sense" - although it didn't strike me as "real" by any stretch, at least the premise was consistent and it held the movie together very well. None of the characters went outside the bounds of the rules that were set forth in the movie. While I don't believe for a moment that there are dead people with the marks of their fatal injury floating around, and I just can't see them, the movie MADE it believable. And the twist at the end TOTALLY threw me - but made it much more interesting to watch a second time.

I'm perfectly willing to suspend belief if it progresses the movie along - but the problems I had with "Signs" were of a differnt sort - he sets up certain parameters, and then disregards them later on. That is what I have a problem with - or he gives counter-productive traits to some aspects of the movie. All I ask for is a little consistency.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was also somewhat disappointed in Signs. Best movie of this genre I've ever seen was the original "The Thing" with James Arness, from Gunsmoke, as the Thing. Saw that as a teenager, so probably way, way, way (Oops! Don't wanna get TOO many "Way"s in there!) before you youngsters' time. Scared the living hell outta me!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Saw that as a teenager, so probably way, way, way (Oops! Don't wanna get TOO many "Way"s in there!) before you youngsters' time. Scared the living hell outta me!

You mean they had tv back when you were a teenager? Shocked
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, no - the Thing (both the original and the remake of the late 70s) were two of the best "alien horror" movies of all time. I had nightmares after seeing it for proabaly 2 years.

- Abraham Lincoln
srlatty

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking silent movies rofl
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:

You mean they had tv back when you were a teenager? Shocked

OMYGAWD....he's mutated into a "Hooli Basher" Wink

And yes, they had TV back when I was a teenager....well, mid teens anyway. Amazed
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/9/2003, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

OMYGAWD....he's mutated into a "Hooli Basher" Wink

Lol, just teasing ya Hooli, I don't know why but when I hear the word mutate I always think of The Fly.
-Ed Abbey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: