ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bouldering at Joshua Tree N.P.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Bouldering at Joshua Tree N.P. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Misty and I took a trip to Joshua Tree for some camping, hiking and bouldering this weekend. I've never been there before, and it's been more than ten years for Misty - since she was stationed at 29 Palms as a young Marine. The place is incredible! The huge, beautiful rock formations are everywhere, and it's really cool to see people climbing up them - or standing on top - everywhere you look. The weather was perfect too; it's easy to understand why J-Tree is the preferred winter climbing area for serious climbers. The rock is fantastic - we just fooled around bouldering, but got a good taste for the quality of the rock - painfully abrasive but awesome to climb.(Mary - our fingers weren't bloody like yours, but I'm quite sure they will be after two days of it!) I'm so excited about it that I decided we're going back next month for a two day course with J-Tree Rock Climbing School - can't wait! We hiked a little around Hidden Valley and Wonderland of Rocks - saw many birds and lizards, one overly friendly coyote, and one small rattlesnake - a sidewinder, I think. The town of Joshua Tree is really cool, too - kind of artsy with lots of nature-loving hippie types. Mr. Green The Crossroads Cafe is excellent, and Joshua Tree Outfitters is the best gear store I've ever been in - they've got REI beat for climbing stuff as well as a small but good selection of high-end backpacking gear, and friendly knowledgeable staff. I'll give you guys a full report - and hopefully pictures - of our big climbing school adventure there next month!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds cool! I have always thougth Joshua Tree sounded like a place I wanted to go. Now I know I'd like to go! Do let us know abou tyour climbing school! I am envious!

I want to shine!
Abe

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joshua Tree is an awesome place! I spent five years in the area and couldn't get enough of it. Although, I am not as hardy as you all in bouldering and rock climbing. Spent most of my time on the eastern half of the monument camping, hiking, and backpacking. Key's View (if I remember) is an awesome drive on the west side for a side trip.
Kristyn

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would love to get some real rock climbing in! I only do it once a week inside my gym. I absolutely love it. It is second next to hiking. Anyhow, sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait for the pics. Of course, I can't wait to here about the 2 day class!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Post some pics...Thisis one on my to do list!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I want to go there. That is my kind of terrain.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/26/2004, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great write up, I'm so glad that you had such a good time. If I remember right, it's the Outfitters where I would drive into town for a quick shower! They do take care of their climbers! Mary
cactuscat

PostPosted: 10/27/2004, 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kristyn, have you climbed at Phoenix Rock Gym? We used to go there twice a week for the longest time, but since my climbing partner (Misty) is now living in California I don't get to go so often. Let me know if you'd like to go sometime, and I'll call the rest of my climbing group and we'll meet you there!

Diane, I'm sure you'd love it - as would all of you - and besides the rocks to climb, there's plenty of canyons begging to be explored! Wink

Next time we're there I want to check the oasises Question too. I've never visited an actual "oasis" before.
Kristyn

PostPosted: 10/27/2004, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The only other Rock Gym that I have climbed is the one close to ASU. I don't recall the name, since there is one at my gym now I don't go anywhere else. I will definitely take you up on that. I love to climb!
cactuscat

PostPosted: 10/27/2004, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PRG is the one near ASU, so that's the same one we go to. We like it a lot there; it was our second home for awhile - we had 6 month memberships and we certainly got our money's worth.

Or we could go to AZ On The Rocks, which is farther away - for us, anyhow - it's in N. Scottsdale. We've been there once since it opened 6 months or so ago, and it's really nice. They also have weights and workout equipment and even yoga classes - that would be my regular gym if it were closer (and maybe a little cheaper).

The only other one around that I know of is called Solid Rock and I think it's in N. Phoenix towards the West side. Haven't been there yet.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/27/2004, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It will nice if we can have a climbing group that meets around Mesa/Tempe/Chandler area. I'd be really interested -- just can seem to find a stable group that will tolerate "newbee" climbers
cactuscat

PostPosted: 10/27/2004, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would be great, but the problem is when ... Saturdays late morning would be best for me, but most of you are probably hiking then. I could also do Sunday anytime or Monday evenings some weeks. My climbing group is down to me and three other people - all nice, tolerant people! It's a good group ... anybody who wants to go, let's do it. Mr. Green
Kristyn

PostPosted: 10/28/2004, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey I am a newbie too! I have only been climbing for about a year and that is only inside my gym so not much experience with the technical stuff. I would certainly hope they would be tolerant! Very Happy

Kelly that is the gym I have been to, only once or twice a while back. I like that gym, I am amazed at some of the climbers there.

I can't do it on the weekdays as my husband is not home during the week so its just me and the kids. I wouldn't mind doing it on a Saturday, I don't hike every weekend as I need to spend some of that free time with my family. Anyhow, Saturday or Sunday would be good for me!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/28/2004, 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I climb at On The Rocks, and would be happy to join up with others during the week, newbies are fine. My weekends are generally to busy for the gym. Mary
HUM469

PostPosted: 10/28/2004, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to do the Phoenix Rock Gym too. Now that I am out in Peoria, it is such a drive though. Couple that with my climbing buddies being transfered out of state... game over. If there is a group getting together, I would love to get back out there though, PRG, or On the Rocks would be interesting to me to check out. Let me know when it is happening, that is if you all wouldn't mind one more?
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: