ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Volunteer for Outdoor AZ, Dead Horse Ranch ADA Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 2:32 pm    Post subject: Volunteer for Outdoor AZ, Dead Horse Ranch ADA Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

This weekend I spent a day and and half feeding gravel and cement into a mixer making, literally, "trail mix" to hard-surface the wheel-chair trail at Dead Horse Ranch State Park. This is an enjoyable and rewarding activity, and gives back a little for all the enjoyment I get on the trails. This was my third VOAZ experience, and they are batting 1000 so far. The advance crew was up there Friday, got there early Saturday, we started work by 8:30 and cut off at 3:00. For us normally desk-bound folk, shovel work, or wheelbarrow tending, is a bit of a change, but it's good for the body, mind and soul. The potluck dinner Saturday (KFC for those of us who didn't read the plan closely) and campfire talk with appreciation gifts added to the trip. We hit it again Sunday and completed the trail through the cottonwoods by 10 AM.

I encourage anyone interested in getting into volunteering to check this out, it is a great bunch of people and seem to have their act together.
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey sredfield, do you have any contact info such as a phone# or web address to contact these folks. I'd be pretty interested.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/17/2004, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I put their site in the links page but its http://www.voaz.org
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/18/2004, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have stayed in Dead Horse numerous times it serves as a great base camp for a rural/urban campground. Lots of activities nearby. Last visit took the road and mtn. bike. Have they finished the rest of the improvements to the park ? Noted the Gazebo in the city park at Clarkdale was in sad shape. Actually was planning on a visit this week but have mandatory work related class this week. The pumpkin patch at Camp Verde usually has elk roaming the fields this time of year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: