ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Days at Sea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 10/10/2004, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Days at Sea Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know I have been awol but work has been brutal and then we had the opportunity to escape for a short while to more southerly latitudes. Not much hiking but it was a great outdoor adventure although it was in compass zone #2 and not in Arizona. Good thing I keep that global compass at hand. LOL To tell the truth the deserts were very similar to some of the deserts around us here with some big cactus like our sahuaros although a bit different. The humidity was apparent and some plant life was facinatingly different.

I honestly don’t know which I like more when it comes to outdoor geography. Mountains, deep forests and vast deserts all have their draw on me but every once in a while I have need for a good tranquil sea. Such is the Sea of Cortez in the southern latitudes and the Baja is the best place to experience it. La Paz is a study in tranquility and in fact translates as Peace. It does not have the endless resorts of Cabo nor does it possess the big waves of the Pacific side of the California peninsula. I have been to the southern Baja seven times and four of them have been to La Paz, a small sea town set behind a bay with the sea on one side and the rugged Baja deserts on the other.

There are more small fishing pangas in La Paz than there are sport boats. Almost all of them have feminine names after a partner, companion, girlfriend or perhaps an unrequited love.

Cabo draws most of the tourists, Todos Santos calls to the surf crowd and places like Cancun on the mainland draw the party goers. La Paz is for those who want to disappear into it.

In town there is a pleasant five kilometer promenade along the sea called the Malecon where walkers and urban fishermen go about their pursuits. North of town there are several very pretty beaches with palm frond palapas where you can enjoy some great seaside meals. If you go further by boat to the Islands of Isla Espiritu Santo and Isla Partida you will find stunning beaches of almost white on the western shores set at the mouth of deep canyons. The colors of the waters here defy words. It is hard not to try to put them into words and I cannot fault those who attempt to do so but it is simply not possible. The luminescence alone is other worldly, a solar powered work of both abstract art and super realism.

If you go a bit farther you come to Los Islotes, a group of small islands where you swim with the sea lions, an experience that is at another loss for words. The pups will nip at you and all of them can swim like a bird can fly, doing rings around your best stroke.

Dolphins did jumps in the wake of our boat just for the joy of going airborne as we made our way through the islands. Magic abounded.

Back on Isla Espiritu Santo and Paritda the beaches are shallow far out from the shore. The waters are very warm and the contrast from volcanic desert to luminescent water is breathtaking. In the larger canyons there are estuaries that sustain a life zone of green plants and many birds. Beyond that is rocky desert with its scattered arid Baja plant life and water, lots of water.

Over all I will always remember her smile and the way it floated over the tropical waters like one of the exotic butterflies powering into the breeze, both going in a matchless fashion where they will.

Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/10/2004, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

YOu are such a poet , with your words as well as your photography....

I want to shine!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 10/10/2004, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, beautiful Glen. I'm glad that you two were able to get away and to such a beautiful place. Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 10/10/2004, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

YOu are such a poet , with your words as well as your photography....

All I can say is " Ditto"

I figured you were away since hadn't heard anything from u? Welcome back Exclamation Beam me up
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 10/10/2004, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah, Glen, what a wonderful interlude for you both!! Reminds me of days past walking on endless white sands and swimming with dolphins in the Florida gulf and keys before all the development. Loved the drive to key west in my convertible- on the long bridge; the dark blue waters of the Atlantic on one side and the agua of the gulf on the other.

I have a wonderful book on Baja California which features the "painted caves" of San Ignacio and other areas. I would love to see those some day--
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/10/2004, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You amaze me once again Glen. You sure now how to make a person jealous with your many talents.(Flying, photography, writting, outdoor knowledge.) My hat goes off to you!
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words my talented and very capable friends.

Letty, I did visit an archeological museum while down there. There were a few stunning pieces on display of both earlier earthlings, some of their art work and a saber tooth cat as well.
evenstar

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in awe! I wanna go!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm in awe! I wanna go!

Me too! I already started looking at airfare and hotels.
-TIM-
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The bay is pretty but you can't swim in it. I'ts nice to walk along. If you stay at Las Conchas, you can swim right off of that beach. As I walked out on my balcony there years ago there was a Toucan in the tree not more than 10 feet away. Most of the time we stay in town at Los Arcos and take the bus or taxis around. The bus to the end of the line to the north where the ferry embarks will cost you two bucks. From there you can walk as we did to Pichilingue beach where the old wooden dock is in the first photo. It is a five minute walk from the ferry terminal on the road to Tecolote where the last photo was taken. The island you see in the far distance in that photo is Isla Espiritu Santo. Next time I'm going to rent a car. Boats out to the islands will run you from $65 per person to $90. Different things are included. I wanted a good one so we wouldn't be adrift out there somewhere. Besides they served a great cooked meal on their own private island beach camp.

If you like Mexico in general the town of La Paz is real. I was able to hike around and bush up on my Spanish, even recklessly throwing out compound verbs near the end of the journey. It always takes me a few days to get back into the rhythm and way of uttering the sounds in that language. I got a couple of good photos in the traditional market as well as those sea images.

The finest meal we had was a palm frond palapa just north of a the Kiwi restaurant bar. Don't recall the name but the pescado de ajo (grilled garlic fish) was supreme. The water lapped right below our open window as we watched a lone fisherman using a cast net and occasionally getting something good.

If you like the party scene you might consider Cabo down that way. We did not see many tourists in La Paz this last time. All in all you can't go wrong if you are looking for a good beach getaway.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What know you Glen of Copper Canyon??-- I have a book on that and would love to get to Tarahumara land. No way I would solo there though- I am not confident enough of my skills. Too much to see and do!!
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All I know is I got lost trying to go down into Copper Canyon at Divisidero a few years ago when the train was blocked from going any further because of a landslide. I found some very interesting Tarahumara habitations and one place where someone had dropped weaving supplies to hide. They are very timid. I kept cliffing out on some great little trails that only went to certain places. Now when we flew over it a couple of times when going from Los Mochis to Monterrey, Torreon and Saltillo I was literally shocked at the expanse and the angle of the canyon walls. They are so deep and nothing at all like the Grand Canyon to which it is compared at times.

Yes, there are too many things to do and not enough time.
Abe

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beautiful.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why can't you swim there?
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 10/11/2004, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The inner bay is too polluted, no smell of any kind just murky waters. There are people who do swim but if you want the clear waters of the photos above you need to get out of the bay. It's not that far to go to get to the crystal waters. If you stay at La Concha you can swim right there but you are away from the variety of eating places. Yes, next time I'm going to rent a car and stay totally mobile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: