ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Equipment Organization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And where do you live Matt? I'm coming shopping! It looks like a store! Hiking Mary
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
Well, it took a little longer than I anticipated, but here are the pics of my (incomplete) pegboard wall...

well....I'm impressed. Ok Not just with your organized pegboard, but with all the gear you have too!!!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
roger

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt,

You are WAY to organized. You know that is a tell tale sign of a sick mind. Chuckle

roger
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny thing is...

Everything else I do is WILDLY unorganized, you should see my file cabinet...

Thanks though, it's taken a long time to get to this point, and a lot of lost gear.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks good Matt
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Someplace under all the stuff in my guest bedroom there's a king size bed......I think Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like it Matt. I can tell you care for your things well.

As for hiking clothes, I wear the same kind of clothes I would hike in to work and around the house. That keeps things simple. I only shop at one store, The Summit Hut for all my clothes and gear unless they don't have something. Then I go online but that is rare. I like to hike and do photography but I'm not much of a shopper. Mr. Green
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt -- awesome....

Wish I was that organized with pretty much anything in life & I'd be ahead!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/29/2004, 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now that's impressive! Ihope I can make my gear room look any where half as good as that!

I want to shine!
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 9/29/2004, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, it looks just like a camping store. Nice job Matt.

I use bins for most of my gear. My sleping bag and tent I store uncompressed in my closet. The binned gear is on some shelves in my garage.
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/29/2004, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use bins as well. Some are clear so I can see the contents. The other bins are labeled for day hikes, backpacking or car camping. Therm-a-rest and sleeping bags are uncompressed and in the guest bedroom closet Wink
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/29/2004, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I prefer the bin method and have them organized by backpacking stuff/day hiking stuff. I found an oversized bin that fits under the bed and store my sleeping bag and thermarest (unrolled) in that with cedar blocks.

What I really like are the smaller "stowaways" by Sterlite to stash all the little stuff like headlamps, flashlites etc that I always seem to be searching for. I keep all this little stuff in ditty bags.

Here's two tips for y'all: Instead of spending $3.99 or more for ditty bags, make your own. You can get that material at a number of fabric stores and sew one up in about 15 minutes OR look for those intimatewear wash bags....they're made of a mesh material. They double nicely as a ditty bag. I've seen them at Walgreens for 99 cents.

Matt~~~~your storage systems looks GREAT! Wish I had the room for something like that.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 9/30/2004, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

no, no, no Matt-

You have it all wrong. You could find virtually all your gear in minutes with a system like that. That is no fun. What about the gear "treasure hunt" that can be so fun before a hike? You know, where you run around playing "where the heck is my ....*&^%$# headlamp." You just cant have that if your gear is that organized. What about the gear "cache?" Remember how fun it was to find that gear you bought last year, but misplaced.....errr cached?
Pretty soon, you are gonna tell me that you check the batteries in your GPS before you go hiking. Some people are just so anal.

No, Matt, you are just not going to have the same pre-hike excitement with a system like you have.

I suggest that you have moved from the hiking stage of outdoorism......to the "nesting" stage, where gear purchasing and organization has become more important than the hike. Dont fall into the sickness.....the one who dies with the most organized gear.............doesnt win(necessarily). Pegboard is a sickness into itself. Let me be honest here, it almost got my dad in his tool shop. We did an intervention...he got better and hopefully with a little time.......all I can say is....maybe just talk to a professional. The rest of you are what could be referred to as "enablers" Please dont encourage him.

Lest there is any doubt. What I just said was a huge bunch of "porridge"
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/30/2004, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Geeze pete, I never thought about it like that before...

Maybe there's some kind of 12-step program?

Hi, my name is Matt and I'm a peg-boardaholic.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 9/30/2004, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great looking setup but methinks it might have to be dusted--I hate to dust if I don't have to.

I keep my gear here and there filed neatly in my head. In the kitchen you will find our spoons in a drawer, some dry food in a cupboard and some in the freezer. In the coat closet there are cardboard boxes on the floor with freeze dried stuff. In the junk closet downstairs reside the tents (rolled up) and water bottles live there too. In the space in the heater closet are backpacks. In another closet in the laundry room are sleeping bags in their puffy sacks and below those are thermarests and two boxes of less used things. In a dresser in the den are all of the small things like cooking stuff and first aid. I know where everything is and I would be afraid to move any of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: