ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Equipment Organization
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Equipment Organization Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know we've had topics before about where to store gear (inside the house, in the shed, etc...), but I don't think we've actually addressed specifics about how gear should (or is) stored. I just started a massive overhaul of my gear storage system and I'm wondering how the rest of you keep your stuff straight. So please, enlighten me (god knows I need it), how do you store your gear, where do you store your gear, any special tips or tricks?

Thanks guys (and girls)
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Down is stored loose and not compressed, Thermarest pads are stored unrolled and not compressed and stove gas is stored outside in the shed. Other than that everything else is stored dry which is not too hard out here and the backpacking things stay in the packpacks, the dayhiking things stay in the daypacks. I don't like to spend time hunting down things so everything is pretty much ready to rock and roll except for the afore mentioned items that need to be stored uncompressed. They can be stuffed and stowed in minutes.

All we really need to do is throw in some food and water before hitting the road.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

only tip I could suggest is something I read on here. Store your tents loosely in a mesh bag to keep wrinkles from forming and damaging the fabric. This also lets 'em breathe. Everything I have is stored indoors although Im not sure if heat will damage modern fabrics, to me its not worth the risk. I also would recommend using cedar or mothballs to protect your stuff.
Pete and Mary use storage bins.. hundreds of storage bins.
*and I only have three-Im such an under acheiver Sad *

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Scattered all over my garage, car, closet, & bedroom. So If I'm ever late to a hike, you'll know why.
-TIM-
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:

Pete and Mary use storage bins.. hundreds of storage bins.
*and I only have three-Im such an under acheiver Sad *

ROFLMAO Well, hundreds is going a bit far, but I'm not only a gear junkie, but I'm a bin junkie too. I also had to count my bins, I only have 14 bins.

I have my bins organized according to sport. My climbing rope, some of my pro and sleeping bags hang in the closet, my T-rest under the bed, my packs (sometimes remain loaded...from day pack to backpack) in the garage (my truck generally has a pack ready to go), my climbing harness and treking poles are on a door knob (I've been using them weekly), my climbing gear in one bin, my mt. biking gear in an other bin, some winter clothing in a bin which will be switched out with summer stuff soon, boots and specialty shoes (not biking or climbing) are in an other bins, car camping bin, and back packing bin. I also have the rolling type bins, one has smaller backpacking gear, ie...toilet paper, wet ones, portable personal type items and I have an other rolling bin with freeze dried foods. I use bins for other things. My high heels are in a bin under my bed and a couple other bins for my specilty stitch items (bet you never thought I was domestic too or dressed up?). I leave my tents packed, but read recently that the poles should be set up to preserve the shock cording. I might have too much gear to really be storing everything properly.

When using bins, try to stick to the clear ones. You can see outside what is in the bin, so you don't have to open them all to find what you are looking for. It works great for me, I'm able to find what I'm looking for right away. I can be ready for a backpacking trip at a moments notice.

Mary
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good thread Matt. I am in the process of making my dtrs room (she now lives in her own rented house in Tucson) into the guest room so I can turn my guest room into a gear room. I am thinking of posting a few maps on the walls too so I can keep track of my hikes on the maps.... I am (read Ron here) going to build a few shelving units to use to probably store things on. The more I read here the more likely it becomes I will use the ever increasingly popular storage bin system on the shelves....Should be a fun process.... may take some time since I have so many other things to work on at the same time but that is the goal anyway!

I want to shine!
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used bins for a long time, but I'm a little disenchanted with them (sorry mary and pete). I still have my hiking clothes in bins (one's the regular outfit, one's socks [yes, a whole bin], and one's cold-weather add-ons). I think I'm going with pegboard for all my stuff. I tried keeping everything in my bag, but like mary I'm a gear junkie, I've got a lot and I don't take all of it on every trip. I think I'm going for the "show room" appearance, everything right in front of me so I can see what I have without sorting through a dozen bins. I think it will also help me maintain everything, I can see what needs replacing or mending right away. When I had bins, I would just dump my pack out into a bin and be done with it until the next hike.

What I'm really looking forward to is the mountainhouse section of the pegboard...
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:

What I'm really looking forward to is the mountainhouse section of the pegboard...

Pegboard? How would you use that? Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I store my bag and thermarests as Glen says.

I have a large closet devoted to storage.
Quote:

Pegboard? How would you use that? Mary

I have pegboard hanging on one wall in the closet in which all the backpacks and daypacks can hang, also hiking poles etc.

I have a set of shelves where I store, filter, stove, gps, cooking gear, hat, gloves, tents, tarps etc etc. Everything is together.

My dayhiking pack is usually always ready to roll, sometimes complete with water.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, it all started when I built myself a backpack rack. Really all it is is a set of hooks (like the ones you hang bicycles with) screwed into a board which is mounted on the wall. The bags hang from the hooks. It worked so well, I made a second one and hung all my tents (in their stuffsacks, which might be changing to mesh bags now a la mikes suggestion) and a few other larger items. Since it worked so well I thought I'd give a try putting all my other smaller gear on hooks on the wall, when the pegboard came available it seemed the natural way to go. My sleeping bags and mattresses are still on a shelf in a closet. Its really all the small things; raingear, cook pots, gps, sheath-knives, water filter, etc. (and theres quite a bit of 'etc')

I have the pegboard up already, I had it for my tools, but I got a nice set of cabinets and the board is empty. I should have all my gear up in a couple hours so I'll post a pic of it then. you'll see Wink
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have the benefit of too many rooms so I have one devoted to hiking & travel stuff ....Most stuff is stored loose ( uncompressed) in big breathable cotton bags ( like the sleeping bag storage sack).

All my dry food is stored in a wire mesh rolling cart so its easy to sort thru and load up ...

Store my water filter -- with the element outside to eliminate damp / mold etc .. in a big mesh bag to make sure pieces don't get lost etc ...

All bags/packs hung up and aired out ( Lesson learned after a much mushed apple incident) just in case some thing perishable dosent get forgotten.

All my hiking related clothing stays in the closet in the room -- so I don't keep buying more Sad and so that the velcro dose not destroy nice stuff ...

Sweep/dust/wipe my tent out when I get back from my hike so its clean the next time ...( hope is that it reduces abrasive wear due to sand etc)

Day hike pack is usually ready -- drain out water bladder after every hike -- air dry -- so far no black ickky stuff in the hose etc. Gets santized at least once a month or before long hikes Wink

Don't think I will share my unphotogenic mess but usually I can find everything & get packed up for a long trip in under an hour!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another option is "slatwall"...

4'h x8'w sheets are about $30.00...
You may hang drawers, shelves, hooks, etc...

Hell... as good as slat-wall looks, you don't need to hide it in the closet/garage....... you could even open up your own "used gear-warehouse"....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I generally keep a backcountry pantry stocked with few fuel canisters, Lipton's Sides, chicken/tuna foil pouches (have you seen that they now have oysters... crab meat, etc in the foil pouches, as well!!) , breakfast bars, PB & J, crystal light, summer sausage, etc.
That way you can a) buy the stuff when it's on sale and b)you're good-to-go with no last minute trips to Fry's, REI etc.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good ideas about storage and food, too.
eBay has Mountain House in bulk, usually 8-10 packs of assorted meals and some breakfast stuff, but you would only save about $10 from retail.
Cnyhikr, a dollar store in Mesa has the tuna in foil pouches for (guess what..) a buck. I usually buy 'em 10 at a time. Here's a quick recipe:
1 foil pack of white chicken (or tuna)
1 cup sm. egg noodles
2 cups Reavis Ranch Creek water
1/2 cup minute rice
1/2 cup onion or 3 tbl. spoons dried onion
1 seasoning pack from ramen noodles
optional, a handful of freeze dried peas
Makes a porridge good bowl of chicken soup for 2

what i do
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/27/2004, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a question about 'wearing out' a packed tent... if it stays packed in a stuff sack between trips, what will wear it out? I've always stuffed my tents. Tight. Never a problem here. I've always read that 'stuffing' a tent is the best way to go. Folding damages them.

I can see a problem with 'packing up' a sleeping bag between trips. Old pillow cases work the best for me.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/28/2004, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, it took a little longer than I anticipated, but here are the pics of my (incomplete) pegboard wall...

(sorry, I'm not that good with the camera... I'm no glen)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: