ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Gear Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah no doubt, some of my favorite experiences were in the rockies in montana's glacier n.p. and the spanish peaks wilderness south of bozeman, mt. Those mountains, as you said, can't be described adequately with words. The alpine lakes, and just the pure ruggedness and solitude there is unbelievable. Now I'm just getting myself all worked up, I really need to get back to Montana in the next few years.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Got my Guide....stock market's in the toilet....just what I need

Got my Guide...wife and kid use most of my money...just what I need. Rolling Eyes

(sorry - just kidding - sort of)

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 2/20/2003, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I gotta tell ya...I really like the way that Backpacker has organized this years guide...I like that each section has that opening part where different "best buys" are explained in more detail...I think that's a great addition to the guide.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/21/2003, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got to take a peek at it a little (I don't have a subscription anymore) - and I must say: I was impressed as well. They also seem to have limited their "editor's picls" to fewer than usual items. Most magazines have a whole bunch of "Editor's pics" usually based on who bought the biggest ad in their publication (see ZDNet publications). But I really liked both the layout and the recommendations.

Good stuff. I wish I had lots and lots of money!

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/21/2003, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think sometimes you need to really evaluate what you need based on where you are & what you are doing rather than based on recommendations....

I just bough the gear guide ...actually the part I like is the synopsis of features for each category....let me evalaute what I have vs. what is new & then "rationally" decide Laughing

I wish I had the unlimited funds to get the best of everything!!!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 12:16 am    Post subject: gear guide Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gear Guide is cooler this year.
I don't care if I need that stuff or not, maybe they could hire me as a gear evaluator?
Shoot, I'd even put their link on the site. Wink
GTG
ck1

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've written in when they ran a contest to be a gear tester. Talk about a sweet deal...

I often think that if I got tired of teaching I'd try to get on the writing staff of an outdoor magazine...work and play at the same time!

I don't hardly "need" any gear. I'm pretty well covered ("want" now that's different)...but I use the Gear Guide for what I lovingly call "research" Laughing

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 2/23/2003, 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Talk about a sweet deal

I know a guy that owned an off road shop in Tempe. He closed it down to test new equipment and write for 4 wheelin' magazines. Yep, his life sucks. Wink
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/23/2003, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This month I purchased a headlamp, two sleeping bags and a tent. Though I did not have the gear guide to assist with my purchase, I appreciate the input folks have given me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: