ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Gear Guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 9:28 pm    Post subject: The Gear Guide Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is that time of year again...just after the holidays...after the thrill of christmas gifts has subsided...like a phone call out of the blue from an old friend...arriving in mailboxes everywhere...the Backpacker Magazine Gear Guide!

Yes, the single most useful issue of a wonderful magazine...the gear guide...more information than one person could possibly absorb...except perhaps Randy Wink ...the gear guide...where to begin...look at all those glossy photos of attractive people doing really cool looking things...the guy on page 76 doing a little fire jumping...the girls on 40.5 in the tnf add...then there's the articles...like on accessories on page 128...just too much fun!

Rejoice, the Gear Guide is here....the Gear Guide is here...

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Colin, has Patty considered institutionalizing you Mr. Green
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
ck1

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, but she does look at me sometimes and ask "I married you?"

Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

she does look at me sometimes and ask "I married you?"

If there is a woman in the world who doesn't look at her husband and say that very thing - almost daily - then I want to meet her - and more importantly I want to talk to the guy and know what his secret is. Heavy sedation for the wife is my guess.

By the way - not so much any more, because I have no money, but I too used to get downright giddy over the Gear Guide. Of course - I also worked at REI at the time so gear was my life.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 2/4/2003, 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
By the way - not so much any more, because I have no money, but I too used to get downright giddy over the Gear Guide. Of course - I also worked at REI at the time so gear was my life.

That's what happens when you start having childern...the really important things get pushed aside.

Kidding. Very Happy

I love kids.

Especially other peoples.

Remember, I teach...love kids...teacher here...just joking...

Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You ought to make one of your own. They're great. Except for the dirty diapers - that I could do without.

(We're working on another right now - no bun in the oven, but we're hoping soon - myself, I want a daughter to spoil rotten)

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The gear guide is esp. fun for me this year. I just did my taxes and found I can treat myself to some new gear Razz I've been going through the magazine highlighting all that interests me. Crazy This is better than getting a big dividend from REI. I am a happy camper.
ck1

PostPosted: 2/5/2003, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OH....the TAX RETURN....yea, we do ours next Thursday...expect some play money...but where to start? That summer bag I've wanted for 3 years? Or the trailer hitch bike rack? Or maybe a second hydration pack?...too many choices!

What are you looking for Cindy?

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

First on my list is a new sleeping bag. I have a North Face Blue Kazoo that is ready to retire. Next I NEED a backpacking tent. I lost mine in a division of gear awhile back. Probably a headlamp. Have never had one but am always saying 'it sure would be nice to have one now' . New front suspension on my bike. Should get a new bike but I just love it. It's one of the few Scotts around. Nothing has fit me better. Hhmm........ I'm sure there must be more! Wink
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, I am still excited by the gear guide. There's always something....Like that neat LED headlamp GTG had on going down Peralta in the dark.

For shoppers like Cindy, the manufacturers have lots of packs and slepping bags designed and sized for women, which is a nice change. The new windblocker and power stretch fleece stuff is nice.

I just keep waiting for someone to come out with freeze dried beer! Beer

Hope springs eternal....-R
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got my guide, and I also just got my Marmot catalog. I don't plan on buying anything from either anytime soon, but man does that Marmot catalog always have some of the most incredible photographs. I always get the Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc. catalogs I like them for the gear and the pics. Wink
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
evenstar

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got my Guide....stock market's in the toilet....just what I need Wacko
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
ck1

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:
. I always get the Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc. catalogs I like them for the gear and the pics. Wink

I do the same thing...must get close to 20 catalogs each year from various companies...all for the awesome pics! I've got something of a collection of the pics...

dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My favorite ones in the marmot catalog are the ones of the Canadian Rockies! Man would I love to be in the Canadian Rockies!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
ck1

PostPosted: 2/6/2003, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never been able to put into words the draw of mountains...

Way back a few years I posted an article by Rob Story, it's about mountains, it comes as close as possible to articulating what it is about mountains that attracts people....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: