ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
As a result of a recent topic of conversation....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 8:25 am    Post subject: As a result of a recent topic of conversation.... Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a thought.... Just a thought to be thrown out there and considered. I don't know if it is even feasable for this site and the space available but what if we created a log that could be used by the participants of this board to enter trip destinations and approximate times of return or some such thing.

This log could be used as a reference point if indeed any thing did happen to one of us out there. There would then be a place family and friends know they could go to look and see where to start a search.....

example:

Hiker Destination Approx. time of return

Dcornelius Superstition Peak 1900

Arizonaheat Planet Nebula 0600 1-21-2010

(I tried to set this up as if on a log type page but it didn't work out but that is the general idea....) Perhaps we would want to add the date of the hike as well so the entry would be :

9-19-04 Dcornelius Superstion Peak 1900 9-19-04

I want to shine!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know about here but it's a good idea to leave an idea of where you'll be with someone--then check in. I usually leave a written note at home, then usually with my friend Jerry---he's hiked with me a lot and knows some of my habits.

The problem with someone like myself is my destination sometimes does change---a whole lot. Weather, something else catches my eye, some sort of delay, a closure. I might stray alot from my plan. I sometimes try to call in then and leave a message on my own answering machine and at Jerry's in case someone might need to find me.

I'll be going to utah in late Oct- Nov for 2.5 weeks and will probably post a "wish" list here. But then again it may be Death Valley and So Cal--- so see--for some of us it is difficult (you know- it's that word --commitment (sp))!!
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another thought....I dont know about having that info out there for the whole
world-psychos and all to see....... I dont know... perhaps there would be a way to make it work or perhaps it was just a bad idea....

I want to shine!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's a good idea Diane - really, it is, it's just that it wouldn't be as reliable or as secure a safety measure as leaving that same information with someone who is in a better position to check up on you.

If we left that information here it would have to be included with the necessity of signing back in when you were done with the trip to clear/confirm that you are back and okay. That's really the only way it would work as a safety measure here on the site.

I suppose it could also be in conjunction with other safety measures. You could leave all the details of your hike here and then inform someone else that you're leaving and all of the specifics are located here in case you don't come back or something like that.

It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure that a forum like this is really the best place for that type of thing.

Of course - I could also be wrong and this could be a fantastic idea and I'm just a hopeless skeptic.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents worth. I prefer to leave word with someone who shares my house. If I lived alone then I'd leave it with a friend from work. It needs to be someone who will notice when I don't return. They'll hopefully also notice when I do return exhausted, shower and collapse in bed. That way nobody is fretting about me because I didn't log in to check in after the hike.
What we might consider is to make a one page, printable trip plan. Anyone who wants to use it could print out a copy, fill in a few blanks and then hand it to their friend or loved one. It could include spaces for all kinds of things and folks could just fill in whichever blanks they want. I'd include spaces for:

Trailhead
Destination
Expected day/time to return
Day/time to notify SAR

Other spaces to include could be:
Radio type/channel
Cell phone number
Number in party
Alternate contacts
Andy

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well that seems like a good Idea!

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great idea! Could be in the form of an email (PM) to a newly created arizona hikers trip register. In addition to anticipated route and return date/time a hiker could include free form comments like "If I divert to another place (and I might), I'll be somewhere in the state of Utah".

After the return date/time, it would be necessary to delete the plan or announce your safe arrival. It would be nice if the website could automatically send an email after the magical return date/time asking if he safelly arrived and requesting he delete his trip from the register if he did.

Don't want to worry about people who are safelly home.
ck1

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had a discussion on this years ago with Joe B. on Hikearizona. There are some major concerns regarding liablity. What he and I had determined was that it was probably a "safe" idea to have the website create a template that can be filled out by the hiker and
1.) printed and given to a live human who cares about you and/or
2.) emailed to a person who also cares about you enough to follow up to make sure you are safe.

I've got a template of sorts that could include a drop down menu for, say, the phone number of the land manager for the area you'd be exploring, or the closest ranger office, or closest sherrif's office, etc. It was pretty extensive.

If that's of interest, I can work with Todd and Mike to see what we can create....

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought of the liability issue right off the bat. I do like the template idea! Send me what you have, Colin.

On another note... dang it's hard to type and hold a 6 week old at the same time! Crazy
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
On another note... dang it's hard to type and hold a 6 week old at the same time! Crazy

That's such a cute mental picture... Mike and his little hiker hanging out on the boards on a rainy day....

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:

I dunno Mike, you seem to be doing a good job of it! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Eli's probably doin' the typing for him!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Andy

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can you imagine what that kid will know about computers just from hanging with dad! It's mind boggling! Shocked
Sorry I almost forgot "Aarrrrrrr"!

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/20/2004, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Di,

I know I mentioned this on another topic recently and agree that it's SO important to leave your planned itinerary with people. I started doing this after my proposed 7 hour Weaver's Needle Loop hike last spring turned into 10.5 hours, and people were frantic. You can't rely on cell phones to work out there. I sure wouldn't post it on the Internet due to the liability issue. Here's what I do and it might work for everyone.

Leave a copy of a map with someone at home, what trails you plan on taking and approximate time of departure and expected arrival time. I usually leave this info with my parents but they really don't have a clue as to where the trails are or connecting trails etc. So, I always contact two people via PM's or email from this forum who I know aren't hiking that day and know the area I'll be hiking in. I make a "network" and supply my parents and two other people with each others phone numbers and let them know I'll contact them as soon as possible. They can then call each other if you're long overdue.

I know there are times when you change your itinerary but at least some of the people will have a general idea of what area you're in.

This networking works for me and sets my family and friends' minds at ease, especially when I'm hiking alone.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
bzachar

PostPosted: 9/20/2004, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would also advise against using a website for posting destinations and safe returns... mainly because of the latter. Web servers crash, get hacked, home computers crash, ISPs have problems which prevent users from connecting to the Internet, emails get lost between the sender and receiver.

I spent 9 years working in telecommunications and saw what can go wrong. I wouldn't want to see people get worried and start a search simply because a hiker couldn't connect to a website or an email got lost.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: