ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Jansport Backpacks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 10:46 am    Post subject: Jansport Backpacks? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey all you backpackers! I was over a Popular this AM and saw the new Jansport Humbolt 88 (5400 cu inch) pack. I love the material and the detachable pockets. Anyone one this pack or the little brother to this one the Klamath 78/72? I am very interested in this and would like to get info on filed experience. Thanks in advance Smile
ghoster

PostPosted: 9/18/2004, 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you notice the weight?
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am a poor one to ask about jansport. My first pack was a jansport and it was a disaster. I shudder at the thought.
ck1

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My wife and I both own Jansport backpacks for extended backpacking and have had no complaints thus far.

"The Journey is the Destination"
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/19/2004, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ghoster, What about the weight, about the same as a Kelty but usually $50 bucks cheaper on a case by case basis. I like the 420D ripstop fabric
Lizard

PostPosted: 9/20/2004, 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My first backpack was a Jansport and, like Maryphyl, it was a disaster. It was pretty cheaply made in retrospect. I'm not a fan.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/20/2004, 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One thing that I've learned, and the hard way, is if it's something that I'm going to be using a lot of, ie...backpack, sleeping bag, pad, stove, etc, that I'm best off buying what is best for me. In other words, the one pack might cost less, but in the long run, there might be a little more expensive pack that works best for my body. I spent several hundred dollars buying cheap pack(s) before I just broke down and spent the money for a pack that fits well. I've never regreted spending that money. I'm to the point where I really don't need more gear, but it really cost me in the long run, to be replacing old gear that didn't work for me. I could have used that extra money on more trips. Mary
HUM469

PostPosted: 9/20/2004, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I absolutely agree Mary. It can be hard if one is on a real tight budget, but you really do have to get what fits when it comes to backpacks. And in this case both your body and your typical gear on a trip. On top of that, your backpack should be the most rugged of your gear. After all, it will have to carry everything, though the heat of the day, rain, snow, morning cold, occationally water crossings, mud, dragged over rocks, and absorbing gallons of your salt laiden sweat throughout the cumulative days and months you will hike. All this time it has to keep riding the same so that you can count on a predictably comfortable ride. If it breaks on the trail, you will have a tough time getting all your stuff back out. And if it does not fit your body right, your trips will grow shorter in your discomfort.
With all this being said, I have to add one more story that Jansport sucks. My first internal frame was a Jansport and the bag did not hold up. Seams started breaking almost immediately. The stays were far too soft and thin to maintain their shape and keep the load tight against my back. Despite the claim to be 4800 ci, I had a hard time fitting all my stuff in, and when the hip belt finally broke off near the end of the first year, I said screw it and bought a new bag. Several more failed expiriments later, and I finally have what is right for me after something like $700 in trial of wrong packs.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 9/20/2004, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I totally agree with Mary and Dylan. Since I'm new to backpacking and on a tight budget, I couldn't afford to buy all kinds of equipment "hoping" that some of it would work out and wind up spending hundreds of dollars on stuff I wouldn't even use. So I read a lot of reviews/advice in Backpacker magazine and on this site.

I also went to REI and got properly measured for a pack. Needless to say there were only a few packs that fit my 5'1" frame (not a whole lot of options for XS)~~~I threw all caution to wind and plunked down the $$$ for the pack I knew fit me best from my fitting at REI (Gregory Deva 60). I also invested as much money as I could in the lightest weight and best quality I could afford. I have no experience with Jansport.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/20/2004, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HI, Jim. Only thing I could help you with about Jansport is to try Backpackgeartest.org- They might have reviews about Jansport packs. I would not like to discount Jansports quality, I have not tried that brand. What I could add is that if you want a great quality pack on a tight budget, try DeuterUSA.com or Granite Gear packs. I have not used Granite Gear either, but have read numerous positive reviews about the company and their customer service, hope you find a local dealer.

what i do
HUM469

PostPosted: 9/21/2004, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The best place I know of for a good fitting is Arizona Hiking Shack. While some of the employees at REI are good, some also are not. Everyone at the Hiking Shack has extensive expirience in their own travels, and they also take classes on boot and pack fitting. Also, they have most of the Granite Gear line in the store, and anything you are interested in, they will get if they don't have it. Very knowledgable and very helpful people there.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/21/2004, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am still using (sporatically) an 18 year old Jansport Frame backpack....
It is a bit threadbare, but in tip-top shape otherwise
It was my" every trip" backpack for about 10 years...
I still prefer it (even with its weight penalty over my G.G. Vapor Trail ) for Grand Canyon hikes and the like where there's not much interference from branches/brush, and the like.
It allows your back to "breathe" and it allows you to walk more upright (yes, girls, we're getting there... Laughing ) than an "internal frame" pack.

Jansport has shown exemplary service (not used on THIS pack, but on another that I had issues with - they UPS-Blue'd me a replacement, and that pack was three years old!)

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/21/2004, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like that ol backpack has seen many a mile Mr. Green
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/22/2004, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Best $53.00 I ever spent....

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: