ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How to map your course - using satellite imagery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 1:28 pm    Post subject: How to map your course - using satellite imagery Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is an interesting how-to article about how to make a GPS map superimposed on actual satelite photography to show you your path on a photograpn of the terrain.

The first article is here: Using a GPS watch, XML, and satellite photos

The author is using the new GPS watch from Garmin, but I imagine that any Garmin product would work and only slight modifications would be needed for other GPS products.

You have to download some free software to complete the project - but overall it looks like the software does all of the heavy lifting for you.

The bad news is that if new legislation comes into play, you may not be able to get into those satellite photos for much longer.

I don't own any GPS equipment, so I can't try this out, but I'd love to see if anyone can produce a map for one of the hikes near the valley.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: