ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Huge kudos to Anti-Gravity Gear!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 9:46 am    Post subject: Huge kudos to Anti-Gravity Gear! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I posted on another thread that I recently purchased an alcohol stove from AGG and was considering returning it because it did not work out with my cook set I also recently bought. To make a long story short I have researched and experimented and decided to keep the stove and let Ron have it cause he loves it!

I wanted to take this opportunity to give my Kudo's to Tin Man at AGG.com as he has provided wonderful service and has gone out of his way to make sure I am happy with his products and service. The following is an email I received from him this morning in response to one of my many email we have exchanged through out my decision making process....

Diane,
The last thing I want is for you to be unhappy with anything I sell. I will send you a refund of the purchase price and ask you to bless one of your hiking friends or use it as trail magic for someone who can use it. It has been a pleasure doing business with you and I look forward to serving you in the future.
Tin Man

I would encourage any one in need of some really cool light weight gear to try [url]Antigravitygear.com[/url].

I want to shine!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

www.antigravitygear.com
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane just curious but what cookset did it not work well with?

That's a cool site I may have to experiment with this alcohol stuff.
Andy

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a good person to do business with.
I used the pepsi stove this weekend!(Sorry Tin Man I made it myself from plans on the net!)(http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsiGstoveinstruct.shtml) Here's another one(http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/catstoveinstrt.shtml) it works great and only weighs a 1/2 an ounce. If you are already used to your "super" stove than it may seem a little slow! But I think i'll use stick with it. I like the idea of using discards to create useful items! I have always been impressed more by what we can do with our ingenuity rather than what we can do with our credit cards.
Andy

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How did you pepsi stove work out for you ?

What worked well -- what did not ?
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I may have to experiment with this alcohol stuff.

This comming from the guy who packs in 18oz cans of budwieser...
Andy

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Leave the heavy stove at home and take 1 more beer! Very Happy

MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, did you spend $12 on AGG on that stove? Did you get the DVD with stove making instructions? just wondering because
Steve (aka tinman) sells his pepsi stove on eBay for $5.
I like mine, too, Andy
DesertGirl, the pro about the stove is the .4 ounce weight. The rediculous low cost of fuel. The simple design. Easy to make, and gives a man an excuse to "craft" without feeling wierd Rolling Eyes
The cons, you need to make a windscreen. use heavy duty foil. stpve wont last forever. Figure 4-5 trips if youre careful. but then, they are easy and cheap and fun to make
In another thread I compared the cost of fuel between white gas and isopropane mix. THe cost of propane for a gallons worth is $72, whereas the white gas is $1.79
BTW, if anyone wants a DVD with use and care instructions for a Pepsi can stove (pepsi cans work best, but you can also use Budweiser, OR any can made by Pepsico.) Just ask, and I will make a DVD copy for you, and then you can make your own! woohoo!

what i do
Andy

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
How did you pepsi stove work out for you ?

What worked well -- what did not ?

the stove worked very well once I figured out the right amount of fuel for each required amount of water I marked it on the inside of the inner wall with a pencil for future reference. it burns pretty clean, and it only costs the price of a good beer,a soda,and some j-b weld which I already had!

Lizard

PostPosted: 9/14/2004, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been using a Pepsi stove for two years now, and I can't see myself going back to white gas unless its a high altitude (10,000+) hike. Here is the way I see it:

PROs
-Usuable for long hikes, since you can generally buy some form of alcohol in small resupply towns (this is why I don't use canister stoves)
-Low cost fuel
-KISS design, less moving parts to break down than a white gas or canister stove. Actually, NO moving parts. Basically the only way to break it is to sit on it
-SUPER low weight
-Hassle-free use. With a white gas stove, you have to set up the stove (getting soot on your hands), connect it to the fuel bottle, pump the fuel bottle, prime the stove, then light it up. When you're done you do it all in reverse. With alcohol, you pour the fuel into the cup and light it up. Much simpler.
-Easily replaceable if you break or lose it.

CONs
-Needs a windscreen, though so do all stoves.
-Takes longer to cook. However, if you balance the amount of time it takes to set up and cook with a white gas stove, and compare to the time it takes to set up and cook with an alcohol stove, its about the same, and its much less annoying to deal with an alcohol stove.
-Fuel doesn't burn as hot. This can be a real drawback for high-altitude hikes, and I still use my white gas stove for these hikes.
-Less fuel efficient than white gas. Have to carry much more fuel to do the same amount of cooking. This can be a drawback depending on your style of hiking. If you tend to cook both breakfast and dinner, and have multiple courses (ie entree and then cocoa) or stuff that needs simmering, then you will likely find alcohol to be frustrating to use. You will have to carry a LOT of it. (though the weight is balanced by the lower weight of the stove unit). If you are more like me however, and just need a pint of boiling water in the evening to make your glop stew, then alcohol is a good choice. The lower fuel efficiency does mean that a white gas stove should be carried for winter trips in which you plan to melt snow for drinking water.

mikeinFHAZ wrote:

The cons, you need to make a windscreen. use heavy duty foil. stpve wont last forever. Figure 4-5 trips if youre careful.

I've used the same pepsi can stove for going on two years now. They last a long time if you are careful with them. Its just like any other piece of ultralight gear, you trade off weight for durability. If you treat ultralight gear well it will last for many years.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/14/2004, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard, I wasnt careful. D'oh
Pro i forgot to add: stove will burn 3 fuels and I have tested so far- an automotive fuel additive called "Heet"- white gas, and of course denatured alcohol
Lizard, do you have any experience using a tougher can such as Heineken? Those are pretty durable, but I dont know about the shape. What about some of these energy drinks that have a stronger can? Im thinking of trying this...

what i do
Lizard

PostPosted: 9/15/2004, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DO NOT USE WHITE GAS IN THESE STOVES. It burns way too hot to be used in an open burner like the pepsi stove. This is a huge safety risk you are taking.

In addition to denatured alcohol and HEET antifreeze, you can also use rubbing alcohol (burns poorly but works in a pinch), and ethanol. I met a fellow thruhiker on the PCT who carried Bacardi 151 for stove fuel. He liked to freak out the weekenders by filling and lighting his stove, then proceeding to take sips out of his bright red "DO NOT DRINK" fuel bottle.

If you are going to use HEET, only use the yellow bottle-the gas line antifreeze. The red bottle-can't remember what type of antifreeze it is, but it is not gas line - does not contain alcohol, and so it doesn't work.

If necessary, you can also flip the stove over and use the little depression in the bottom to hold an Esbit Tablet. So its a multi-fuel stove Smile

I haven't experimented with other size cans cause I've been so satisfied with results from one size. Would be interested to here about your experiments though.
Andy

PostPosted: 9/15/2004, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As you can see the flame can be adjusted by the size and location of the jet holes! figure out the size flame you want. Then custom make a pot support ring to the correct height above the flame so you don't have flames licking your fingers. You can simply plug any holes you don't like with a dab of J-B Weld and try again! If you don't have J-B Weld than it's time you got some!
Andy

MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/15/2004, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard, I think maybe the white gas I used was what ruined my first stove, making the can kinda brittle and when that happened it was crushed. IT was recommended but it sounds like bad advice. So your advice sounds good. Im still new the the pepsi thing!
I'll let you know about the Heiny can, they are twice as tough as the pepsi. Thanks for the info

what i do
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/16/2004, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

no picture there Andy!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: