ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Titanium cookset - Reviews please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/16/2004, 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - BoyNhisDog - I think I will buy the alum gigapower stove from snowpeak. I just received the Trek 700 Ti pot, very very nice. Got on ebay for for a total cost of $29 brand new Smile
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/16/2004, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great price! I got my Gigapower stove from Popular a few years back when they had something like 30% off all camping gear plus the added 10% off with my discount card. It came out to a very inexpensive stove that we have used and used.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/16/2004, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
11 oz is a weeks worth of fuel? I was thinking it would take more than that to do breakfast and dinner for a week....I am doing Paria and I need to know what to bring for a five day four night type hike.... I don't want to get stuck out there with no fuel left to cook my dehydrated meals with.... chewing on that stuff with out first cooking it could get pretty old after a while!

We did an "experiment" this year on the JMT...
We discovered (in the type/duration cooking that we did) that when it gets to a 4 1/2 to 5 day trip that a canister stove (vs. an alcohol stove) is the more weight efficient method.
Yes, the canister stove, itself, weighs more, but the canister fuel(butane/propane) packs more BTU's per ounce of fuel (vs. alcohol).
A "standard" canister holds 8 oz. of fuel.
usage... a "standard" canister (Peak 1, MSR, Snow Peak, etc...) has lasted me 5 nights many times, and I have coffee after dinner & in the AM.
I have used a Snow Peak giga-stove as well as a MSR SuperFly on these trips... this is in the Sierra's where the lowest camp we used was +/- 9000'
For these same 5 nights a whopping 26 oz. of alcohol was needed....

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Andy

PostPosted: 9/16/2004, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cynhikr wrote:

For these same 5 nights a whopping 26 oz. of alcohol was needed....

I realize your talking 9000' but that amount of fuel would boil two cups 39 times in my kitchen at apprx. 2000'! how many meals do you eat in five days?

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/16/2004, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As I mentioned above....
we hiked 15-18 miles a day up some monsterous passes, sometimes needing 2 "freeze dried" meals to attempt to replentish the 6-8K calories we were burning.
We, as well, boiled water for coffee and oatmeal in the morning and after dinner. (generally 12oz. (for coffee) per person each time)
I have found that there is also some waste when using alcohol stoves as they are a B&*^$# to put out, and the fuel from the stove shouldn't really be saved back into your bottle anyway.

I have both types of stoves... I am unbiased.. just reporting one (unscientific) experiment's findings...

Even if our findings are off by a factor of two, though, that's still 13 oz. alcohol vs. 8oz. butane/propane, which leaves 5oz. for a canister stove. So, even if our findings are HALVED (re. alcohol) it, on the surface, is a "break-even". (that is allowing ZERO for the weight of an alcohol stove/pot support)
However, a butane/propane stove boils water much faster... and when you're hungry....... that might just break the tie.....

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Andy

PostPosted: 9/16/2004, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cynhikr wrote:

However, a butane/propane stove boils water much faster... and when you're hungry....... that might just break the tie.....

Yeah but if your tight I mean frugal like Me then you probably will use alcohol!

Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After our re-supply we were using grain alcohol (everclear) vs. denatured , so each evening we were sitting there contemplating.... hmmm... "hot coffee"... or one more sip" Laughing

Andy

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everclear! Can you get that in Az.? If I could get that I could leave Jose at home! Very Happy

HUM469

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, Everclear sits right on the bottom shelf, a couple inches down from the vodka at Albertson's. It would work equally well as the Bacardi 151 for the freak out factor of other campers in camp! As mentioned by someone else, carry the red MSR fuel bottle full, get into camp, fill stove, then begin to sip to the horror of others camped within site. I love it! Think I am going to have to carry an alcohol stove myself for that reason alone!
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Everclear! Can you get that in Az.? If I could get that I could leave Jose at home!

Yep, bought a bottle just last week at Albertsons. It's in the vodka section and was on the bottom shelf. I think it was $15, made some great punch though!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys had better be careful or you wont have anyway to cook your food!

I want to shine!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

..... but at least WE'D be pickled.....

Andy

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I just found it at Fry's too! I guess I had better keep an eye on the Vodka section once in a while! 15 bucks though. seems like in my youth this stuff was a lot cheaper! I don't think I will use it in my stove! Still a lot cheaper than that tequila Yes I like! Of course that stuff tastes a lot better than Everclear Wacko!
Anyone have a good Everclear "Trail Punch" recipe?

Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We generally use Crystal Light, mixed w/water (strong mixture), then add the Everclear.... walah!
I'd recommend citrus(y) flavors as a start... lemonade, lemon-lime, etc....
Tang works too.

maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 9/17/2004, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have a .9 liter ti pot. I use a boyscout version of the esbit stove (weight 1.5 oz versus 3 oz for the real esbit). I use aluminum foil for a lid and also for a windscreen--use a paper punch to make holes near the bottom of the windscreen. The whole works weighs 5 ounces.

I have also used a single wall ti cup when going solo. I take a can lid to place the esbit on and use three small rocks to hold the cup--again I have an aluminum foil lid and windscreen. This setup weighs less than 2 ounces.

When using the ti cups as cups I tie a bandanna around the thing to insulate and to protect my lip from hot coffee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: