ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Titanium cookset - Reviews please!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/12/2004, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Titanium cookset - Reviews please! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking about buying the Snow Peak Trek 700 titanium pot. I was wondering if anybody else have used this particular pot or or titanium products. I just trying to reduce my backpack weight. Laughing
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/12/2004, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what type of stove do you intend to use, Jim?

what i do
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/12/2004, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have two Snowpeak pots, the Ti 1400 and the Solo. I have used them with the Snowpeak canister stove, Esbit fuel and wood fire. They work beautifully, are super light and very durable. Mine are used mostly for boiling water for Moutainhouse foods etc, making the morning or afternoon tea and mixing cold deserts. They are not non stick so if you are going to sautee you may not be pleased but for boiling up some water they are super.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/12/2004, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought a titanium set from REI a year ago and have been well pleased with it. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&storeId=8000&partNumber=687483&memberId=-2000&link=1&source=13117
It's non-stick and light. I typically only take one of the two pots with me. I take the small one if it's just me or the larger pot if I'm not alone.
I use them with my MSR wisperlite stove. The lid doubles as a fry pan but I don't fry much when I'm backpacking.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/12/2004, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a sierra cup, that wraps itself around my nalgen bottle. Only down fall, I can only boil 2 cups at a time and I like to have a cup of tea with my meal. I think I would like a titanum pot for my longer trip coming up, so I can boil enough at one time. Mary
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike,

Right now I have a peak 1 stove. I really like it. Never had any problems. However, I seriously considering the snow peak Gigapower stove and fuel. They fit inside of the Trek 700 pot. Again looking to shave some weight. Laughing
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I recently bought a snow peak mini solo (titanium) kit and love it for its size, weight (5.5oz)and the fact that the pot fits inside the cup perfectly, then your stove can fit inside the pot! I also bought the alcohol stove from anti gravity gear that would have fit quite perfectly inside the pot as well, but the flame on that stove can not be controlled and it engulfs my whole pot! Anyone that has seen the mini solo will know that it is less than four inches across and the flame on the pepsi can stove goes right up the side of the pot causing large amounts of wasted fuel.

Having said that, before I move on let me also say this! I will do business with the guys at anti-gravity gear again and again! They are really great to work with and have gone out of their way to satisfy me as a customer! I would be keeping the stove if it weren't for the fact that it just doesn't work with my pot...and since I just spent $40.00 on the pot set and can't return it I can't justify keeping the stove. Any one with a larger pot then mine is most likely to be very happy with it! I actually regret having to send it back as it is incredibly light weight and I am certain I would appreciate that on my upcoming trip!

Back to the pan set! The mini solo allows enough space inside to store one small canister and a Giga power stove or two small canisters.... not bad!

Edited to say I have decided to keep the alcohol stove from AGG and give it to Ron as he loves it!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the Snow Peak Trek 700 titanium pot, just got it last week in fact! I love how lightweight it is (4.8 oz), it sure beats the 30 oz cookset I was hauling around before! I haven't tried it out yet, but I can't imagine it not being perfect for my uses (boiling water)! Mr. Green

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary, what kind of sierra cup is that?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jim, I didnt want to insult your intelligence or anything! that is why I asked about the stove thinking you must have a tight-flamed model. I havent owned a titanium pot/mug, does anyone have an issue with the heat control? I heard about the metal burning lips, hands etc... So anyway, kinda off topic but I did the math on alcohol stoves.
1 gallon white gas (128 ounces)- $1.79
Pepsi can stove- $.50
Snowpeak/Msr probutane can- $4.50 for 8 ounces.
Hmm.... Diane, too bad pepsi stoves dont work well with small pots. Im with Ron on this one! Very Happy

what i do
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You use the single wall pots for cooking and the double wall cups to drink from. When we backpack we take one Snowpeak Ti 1400 pot. It will boil a quart of water with a good amount of freeboard left. We each take a Snowpeak Ti 600 ml double wall cup to both eat and drink from. I don't know of any single wall metal that is comfortable to drink from hot even if the edge is rolled. We also have the Snowpeak Ti 450 ml double wall cups for cold winter dayhikes or even warm weather dayhikes so one can have proper tea out there. Mr. Green

I do have a 600 ml single wall Ti cup and trust me, you don't want to drink hot tea from it. I also have the same Mini Solo set that Diane has. The pot will boil enough water to make tea for two and large cups at that.

The snowpeak double wall stuff will keep your food or drink hot for a long time. I find that important outside as the cold can negate that fine hot drink or cup of soup to a tepid disaster in no time flat. Just don't try to cook with the double wall stuff. Mr. Green
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah yeah, Glen youre right. I was just curious about titanium getting hot spots because it doesnt dissipate heat as well as aluminum. SO Ive heard. It sure looks like nice stuff, to save up for! Its just that price tag Mad

what i do
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All the thin backpacking stuff that I have used whether it be steel or Ti (I don't use aluminum because it gives you Alzheimer's Shocked Mr. Green ) does not disspate heat like my heavy kitchen Calphalon does. I have seen some heavier backpacking stuff that might do better but if you just boil water it's fine.

Nice new avatar you have there Mike.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have heard about the aluminum alzheimers link... then again underarm deodorant has it too.. D'oh !!
If you want to just boil water and save $$ and weight, The Wal-Mart grease pot is a good start.
I am using the GSI hard anodized nonstick boiler. 2 peice with lid, but the smaller of the 2 is fine for 1 person and holds about 2 1/4 cups water. weighs 4 oz the set cost is $18
thanks for noticing the avatar, its about time, right?

what i do
Andy

PostPosted: 9/13/2004, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dcornelius wrote:
I also bought the alcohol stove from anti gravity gear that would have fit quite perfectly inside the pot as well, but the flame on that stove can not be controlled and it engulfs my whole pot! Anyone that has seen the mini solo will know that it is less than four inches across and the flame on the pepsi can stove goes right up the side of the pot causing large amounts of wasted fuel.

I would be keeping the stove if it weren't for the fact that it just doesn't work with my pot...and since I just spent $40.00 on the pot set and can't return it I can't justify keeping the stove. Any one with a larger pot then mine is most likely to be very happy with it! I actually regret having to send it back as it is incredibly light weight and I am certain I would appreciate that on my upcoming trip!

Edited to say I have decided to keep the alcohol stove from AGG and give it to Ron as he loves it!

I am working on a modification for the stove for small cookware! the glue is drying now. I'll let you know tomorrow how it works!
Andy

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: