ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
hiking, climbing and camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 10:40 am    Post subject: hiking, climbing and camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went rock climbing this weekend. We hiked along Watson Lake in Prescott and climbed, over looking Watson Lake. There are several routes ranging from 5.5-5.9 climbs. It's been a year since I've rock climbed and 2 years since I've seriously climbed. I had a blast Sat. I was given a top belay and we both would hang out at the top of the climb and rappel down again. Our last climb was a 5.9 with a four inch ledge acting as our slab seat which I didn't seem to want to leave. I sat there for the longest time, just admiring the handy works of creation. The lake was obviously low by the water marks on the boulders in the lake, but it was still very lush green in the area. We would watch kayaking on Watson Lake. We shared the crag with a few other people on and off during the day, but amazingly this entire area was very quiet, given the holiday weekend! On Sun. we wanted to do a 5 pitch climb up Granite Mountain called the Swamp Thing. The hike just to the crag was strenuous and although I wanted so badly to make this climb, I was not able to to climb with my gear on and a 25 pound pack on my back. The scramble up was even tough for me. I found myself stuck in one spot, I had my right foot jammed (or should I say stuck) between two rocks and my left foot in a heel hook up towards my shoulders (that even surprised me), but I wasn't able to make the move with my backpack on.....I had to holler for HELP...I was able to make the move once my pack was hauled up without me. I made it half a pitch on the Swamp Thing when we discovered that my helmet had come off my pack and was hung up in a tree (I wasn't able to wear my helmet as it would hit the pack when I looked up to climb) . I had to go down to get it, but knew that I would not be able to do 5 full pitches with the pack on especially with the opening move which involved a side pull to the left with a good right foot smear. It was so hard for me to admit this, but I had to bail on the climb and I was NOT happy with that! I won't tell you about the tears that welling up in my eyes. I was having so much fun climbing again, that I didn't want to quit. It reminded me of climbing in Joshua Tree where my fingers were so bloody from the sharp granite and it was only the pain that prevented me from continuing to climb. One thing I realize, that although I can do some good hikes and backpacking, rock climbing is requiring me to be even in better shape. The gear is heavy....hmm, maybe this is why I love hiking and backpacking so much (I try to be such a light weight). This weekend had several of my favorite things involve....hiking, climbing and camping. I was in bliss! I had a fantastic lead climber who put me at ease with his knowledge of climbing and ease on the rock. Did I say I like bomber anchors? I seem to lack my fear of heights when they are applied and found hanging on the top of these climbs suspended from a rope was the COOLEST thing I've done in a long time. Kent, I wish you could have seen me....there was NO FEAR! Amazing what a good anchor, rope and harness can do with that fear factor!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is definately the forum of the super women. That sounds hard Mary. I don't like that kind of exposed climbing so kudos to you for being able to do it.
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary, glad you decided not to do this solo!

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
HUM469

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent time indeed. I miss climbing, but I seem to have lost most of my partners. The trick to the weight issue is to just go with a bunch of professionals while they are teaching a pack of scouts! Smile With my troop, we had Marty Karabin and his crew rig the climb up the Mace and did all the heavy gear hauling that morning. Somehow I got roped into doing a lot of the belaying of the scouts (read wall hauling a few up), but at least I did not have to carry the 1200 feet of rope. (It's not THAT high Very Happy but with the new scouts we always belay them while they are on rappel as well.
Glad you had a good time, I will have to get out to Prescott some time soon. Will we see you at Beaver Creek this Saturday?
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ck1

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Cool!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I loved hearing of your adventure....good for you for always challenging yourself and continuing to discover your inner powers Laughing
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crazy I wish you could have seen my "inner powers" when I was stuck on that 8 foot boulder that I couldn't get over with my backpack on. I think that could have easily made the Funniest home video. My foot up by my shoulder, my backpack half off and me crying...HELP! Just take my backpack and let me see if I can unjam my other foot. I felt like a yoga queen!

I would love to do the Mace and was going to do it a couple years ago, but that jump across the spiral.........FREAKS me out! Even roped in! Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wahoo, way to go Laughing

Quote:

Kent, I wish you could have seen me....there was NO FEAR!

Abe

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: hiking, climbing and camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
It reminded me of climbing in Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree National Monument!? I spent many of days and nights camping and hiking out there years ago. Mostly in the eastern half.

Thanks for sharing because I sure won't climb no boulders. I'll get around 'em after a good hike for a good snooze in the shade. But no climbing. yoyo
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Mary... what can I say! YOu are so blessed to be able to do these things! One day I want to try some climbing.... I am convince it would be so very cool! I know I would love it!

I want to shine!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 9/7/2004, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, from so many of your pic's you are a rock climber. You do things that I would never do without a rope. Try the Arizona mountaineering club. They do basic rock climbing and it's a great foundation to have. Mary
HUM469

PostPosted: 9/8/2004, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Mace is fantastic, and the jump is not necessary. A few year back some guys I know hauled up a large metal tube, welded to plate steal near 3/8 thick I think, and mounted it with 4 very large bolts. The tube stands upright I think about a foot high, it contains the register and is designed such that you can use it to rappel off of directly if you double rope it. Therefor the jump is totally optional today (but the most awakening experience I have ever had!). Just keep in mind that while the 5.9 is accurate overall, there are one or two moves that will definitely feel very underated. And you cannot beat the excitement of the bridge move over to the second spire, 200+ feet exposure under your belly! By the description of your foot up, stuck, type manuever, you will make it fine, but whoever is leading will need to be quite confident! Very Happy
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: