ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MSR Missing Link???????
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunnut2

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 10:36 am    Post subject: MSR Missing Link??????? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello all. First off i am new not only to this forum, but also to Az. and love liveing on the sun now. I am considering purchasing a new light weight tent, and i am leaning towards the MSR Missing Link. Does anyone out there have any exper. with this one, and what are your opions.. I found what i think(not sure) is a good price on one for $195.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Smile
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is a link to a few reveiws on the "Missing Link"
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/MSR%20Missing%20Link/

I've been looking into tents with a treking pole setup myself lately. I figure I carry the poles, might as well use them in camp also. The MSR ML caught my eye for the room (37 sq ft) and the weight (3lbs). Go Lite also has a pretty cool tent called the Trig 2, that uses treking poles also. They have a bunch of other superlight shelter setups. Their link is below.

http://golite.com/products/prodlist.asp?category=9
gunnut2

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I went to the golite link you provided, and the Trig 2, does have 6" more head room at center height, but im not sure about the entrance. It looks to be alittle tight.
I woud like some more onpions on the MSR ML, and the Trig2
(pros, and cons) Thank again.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't really have any experience with the msr tent but I just recently got myself a solo tent. I went with the mountain hardware pct1 and I really like it. If you're mind isn't made up on the msr you might want to check out the MH tent, so far it's served me very well. it weighs about three pounds and costs 150. its got enough headroom to comfortably change clothes inside, but it's small enough that it doesn't take long to heat up on cold nights. It's not self supporting but only requires 4 stakes (three for the tent and one for the fly).
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I looked at both tents as well and I decided with the GoLite Trig2.
The Trig only uses one pole, or can be suspended by a tree. I have tried this method using the guylines provided (Kelty Trip-tease Lightline) and it worked well. About entering, the door remains unobstructed in this manner and the Trig in my opinion is the better of the two for these reasons:
The Trig has roll up side panels for breathability
It comes with 11 stakes but only using 6 at least, it weighs 2lb 11oz
Rear beak has mesh for breathing, faced into the wind the rear offers wonderful aerodynamics.
It costs $31 less than the MSR
It isnt bright freakin' orange

The cheif designer for Moss tents, later Walrus, and currently MSR, resigned when MSR bought Walrus. He now works for Big Agnes, and you can see a reflection of his style in their tents. Take a peek at those, as well.
You might check into the superlight Tarptent Cloudburst or Virga, Henry Shires makes them by hand and the sil-nylon material is way tougher than it looks. I recieved the Virga by mail yesterday, it was $208 with the optional sewn in floor, including shipping. It weighs 1 pound, 8 oz.

I paid $135 for the GoLite on eBay
good luck and happy bidding

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The setup of the Trig2 does kinda stink because of the pole by the entrance. Although it has a fly as opposed to the single wall of the MSR ML and still comes in the sub 3 lbs limit. One downfall of the MSRML, if you have 2 people, is than one person has to crawl over the other in the middle of the night if nature calls.

There are alot of companies out there that make free standing 2-person tents now that hit the 3lb mark. Black Diamond has 3 I believe. I'm sure there are many others.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/backcountry/intro_shelter.php

Gear is cool. Cool
HUM469

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well if you are looking for a very light shelter for your self, and already use trekking pole, I suggest too the Hennessy Hammocks line. The way between 1 to 3 pounds, and are every bit as weather proof as these tents. Couple that with the fact that in any of the forests or canyon country around here they don't even set up on the ground, greatly increasing your options for where to camp. They have a separate fly with many pitching options, it serves as a cook shelter, tarp, rain fly, privacy screen, and wind break. Whenever you cannot find suitable trees or rock faces to tie into, then they set up on the ground very much like one of the above tents. To top it off, pricewise they run from $119-199. Lighter weight, very fast set up time, and comfort far above that of a normal tent, with flexability and at prices equal to or less than those tents.
I understand that a lot of people cannot imagine it till they see it, and in that case, you are more than welcome to check out one of mine. I have several, I intend to be on this month's group hike, and will have it there, or am totally willing to demonstrate mine any time. Just my two cents anyway, let me know any questions you may have.
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/2/2004, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yes! hum469, I have a parachute nylon hammock made by Byer. My question is, does the hammock feel much colder than the ambient air around you? Mine is like an icehouse when the weather dips, I was wondering if maybe it is just inferior material compared to the Henneseys. Do you use a sleeping pad to counter this effect? Cool

what i do
HUM469

PostPosted: 9/3/2004, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, you certainly can use a sleeping pad to counter it, though I have not had to yet. I think it is possible that the byer may feel colder too because it is no specifically desgined like the Hennessy. The Hennessy designs his very much more like a hanging tent, and as such, the bottom is a little thicker in my experience, and it is also covered with a bug net and rain fly, that depending how you pitch it, almost does away with wind if you desire a calm space. Just the same though, if you lay inside a sleeping bag, you will be smashing most of the loft out of your underside.
In the event of colder weather, some do use sleeping pads, though it deserves mentioning that the larger (and cheaper too!) closed cell pads are much better in this capacity. Others I know have also had very good luck with the foam and mylar screens designed for car wind shields, as well as space blankets hung just underneath the hammock bottom. As most AZ tends to be warmer, I myself have not found it a problem yet, but as I intend to return to Alaska and a couple other areas, I am in the process of going the most detailed route. What this entails is I am making what amounts to a small quilt or half a sleeping bag, complete with 800 fill down and DWR outer shell, with Gore Dryloft that will be suspended on the outside of the hammock. Talking online with others who have done the same, a carefully constructed under-quilt as they are called weighs in at around 10-11 ounces, and is warm down below 0 degrees. To compliment this, my quilt will be lined on three sides with velcro so that it can have a very light nylon piece attached to cover over the bug netting in really sever weather, as well as be able to attach to the quilt I will be using over me in the event that I need a more traditional sleeping bag.
I can see how that might be hard to imagine, but basically I will be making two halves of a 2 lb, high tech sleeping bag. In the Hammock one will hang below, where it blocks wind and retains heat just outside the hammock, thereby avoiding the loft crush, with the top half of the bag inside over top of me. The two pieces will be able to attach, and act just like a normal sleeping bag in the event that I need such. Thereby giving me greater flexability, and comfort, and a totally shelter weight (Hammock, rain fly, sleeping bag/insulation, stakes, etc) of about 6 pounds. Keep in mind that this can be reduced to 4 pounds, I just prefer to cary the largest version of the hennessy because my wife often sleeps inside it with me, and I also carry the largest fly so I can have everyone in my group sheltered together in bad weather. With the Backpacker Ultralight and my sleep shelter plan, an ounce or two under 4 pounds is possible for hammock, fly, and insulation, but in a capacity far more comfortable and versitile than the lumpy, uneven ground can ever be. True, it takes a small learning curve, and a slightly different perspective, but it is something no one I know has regreted once they've done it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/3/2004, 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Man, that sounds like a great idea with the sleeping bag. No loft lost, you might even be able to get away with a lighter bag if that works out, after all the loft would be virtually doubled, as opposed to sleeping on the ground. I might almost be convinced to switch. If there were any porridge trees here in the desert to hang a hammock from...
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/3/2004, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey matt,

Where did you buy your MH PCT1 from?
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 9/3/2004, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey HUM469, the hammock looks pretty kick ass. One ?, when it is raining do you bring your pack inside with you? I also might have to take you up on the offer to see this device in person. Im really interested to see how it looks.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/3/2004, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got mine at REI. I buy almost everything exclusively from them. Mostly so I can take huge advantage of the generous return policy.
HUM469

PostPosted: 9/3/2004, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey all, I suggested the hammock as another lightweight option that might be of interest to gunnut. However I do not wish questions about the hammock to run away from his question, so I am making another topic here in the gear section. Please if you have any questions, please see me there or PM me about them ok? Thank you.
jim_the_hiker

PostPosted: 9/4/2004, 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt,

I live REI also. The one in tempe doesnt have a large selectoin of tents that are displayed. I'm gonna have to go to the one in paradise valley to see that tent for myself. The other ones interested in is the Kelty Crestone 1, Sierra designs Light Year, and MSR Zoid 1.0. Any ideas, comments on those? Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: