ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A.B. Young Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 2/2/2003, 7:15 pm    Post subject: A.B. Young Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a message for all of you GREAT people we hiked with last January 8th, 2002, on a trip organized by SandeJ. It was one of the shining highlights of our whole Year 2002 and we THANK each and every one of you who have made that day and our online experience since then so meaningful!

OK--here's the "news you can use."

Susun's in Hawaii and I couldn't think of anything better to do today than drive 56 miles RT over to the A.B.Young Trail to determine its value as one of our "T3" trails. "T3" means: "Time Trial Trail."

I know how slow both Susun and I were last 8JAN02 when SandeJ led us up to such a wonderful lunch overlooking Oak Creek Canyon. I wanted to know how I might "measure up" on this hike. So, what the heck. I drove over there and got a REAL SURPRISE!

Now, this message is posted primarily for those of you who we hiked with last year. Here is the bottom line: The Trail is a THOUSAND PERCENT better. It's been brushed out way to the MAX. The tread has been spiffed and buffed like you see in "trail maintenance videos." I could hardly believe my eyes and feet. It's a boulevard! Top to bottom! And Bottom to Top! After I spent 59 minutes hiking up the 1600 feet from the Oak Creek TH, I sat on that old log and shook my head. It was truly hard to believe. So I set forth going down and logged less than 42 minutes on those totally wonderful, manicured switchbacks. Two hours car-to-car. (Parked well upstream from Bootlegger!)

Anyway, you gotta see it to believe it. It's WAY cool and dry as a parched, bleached bone in the Low Desert. No snow to be seen.

Maybe, though, upcoming weather changes might change the prognosis for the A.B. Young Trail. Best if you can get there RIGHT NOW!

Well, hope this helps.

j
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: