ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
hiking/backpacking while pregnant and with a li'l one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: 7/13/2004, 10:18 pm    Post subject: hiking/backpacking while pregnant and with a li'l one Reply to topic Reply with quote

as some of you know, part of the reason i hiked Whitney was because i had a miscarriage and i wanted to do something that i could do in a few days that had a good goal to reach/a challenge. i wanted to do something that i wouldn't have been able to do if i were still pregnant. well, hiked Whitney, and i think there's a chance i'm pregnant, again (since Whitney-do not get pregnant and go to high altitudes). I don't want to give up hiking and backpacking, or running and other activities for that matter (like i was thinking of redoing my backyard-that'll acquire lifting, digging, throwing rocks with a shovel...). I have read a little bit about it and will ask a Dr, but u never see anything about backpacking while pregnant. I don't want to have another miscarriage (I'll have to climb Everest or something if i have another Surprised ), but believe strongly in staying active.

does anyone have any knowledge in this area, especially from experience? also, i'm wondering about backpacking with a baby. are my backpacking days over for a while? Never had kids and don't know what to expect. Shocked
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My wife and I have had some experience with this kind of thing.

The primary thing to be concerned about is the health of the fetus. There are several factors to be concerned with, however a couple should be the main area of focus.

Problem one: detachment of the placenta. Different people have more or less of a problem with this. In one mother the placenta could be very firmly attached to the uterus in a good location, in another mother the situation is more precarious. An ultrasound can help determine the location of the attachement, but the quality of the attachment is not as easily determined. One of the problems with hiking, running or backpacking is the constant jostling movement. That type of movement has the potential to cause detachment of the placenta. Early on in a pregnancy it isn't much of an issue, but as the fetus grows in weight it becomes more of a concern. So, bouncing/jostling activities are increasingly risky as the pregnancy continues.

Problem two: stress on the fetus. This is more of a concern for backpacking than other activities. The pressure of a hip-belt on the fetus has the potential to cause problems. If the fetus is positioned in an unlucky manner and the pressure from a hip-belt is in just the wrong place, it could constrict the umbilical cord - a situation which doesn't need further explanation. It is somewhat unlikely, but still a potential problem. As with the problem one the risk increases with the length of the pregnancy.

Different people will tell you different things, and in the end it is all a matter of how much risk are you willing to take?

For example, my sister-in-law continued to exercise throughout her pregnancies, but she managed the risk effectively by doing low-impact exercises like closed-weight machines (as opposed to free weights) and pilates/yoga type aerobics classes with lots of stretching and smooth movements. She also participated in water aerobics (which by all reports is one of the best exercises you can do during a pregnancy).

On the other hand, my wife is currently pregnant and is listed as a "high-risk" pregnancy. She is far more concerned about any remote possibility of harming the fetus. She began water aerobics but has since stopped exercise entirely because it was uncomfortable, somewhat painful thereby making her nervous. She is very risk aversive for this baby (and very understandably so).

In the end it really comes down to how comfortable you feel about a particular activity. Ask your doctor lots of questions, get as much information as you can. Don't just ask "can I go running?" Instead ask, "what risks are involved if I go running?" You can even specifically ask that during the first ultrasound that they check in more detail on the position and quality of the placenta - that will help determine to a greater degree the type of risk you can take.

The one thing I've heard from a number of sources though is that the best activities you can do are those that involve water. Swimming and water aerobics are the lowest possible impact, and provide the highest reward/risk ratio for pregnancies.

Hope this helps a little.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kim, as everyone here knows I have a few (7) children. I also have had 2 miscarriages and a set of twins, putting me in a high risk category for a few of my pregnancies. I understand Dadee's concerns having gone through the heartbreak myself, but disagree with some of what he says. I have run. backpacked, hiked, biked, and even 4 wheeled during my pregnancies. I have some background in the health and fitness field. I do believe some women should not partake in certain activities while pregnant but they are the minority. Instead of boring everyone with my thoughts you can pm me with your questions and I'll give you my opinions that I feel I have made wisely. Good luck, Cindy
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee definitely should not hike while he's pregnant. Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ditto with Cindy, but I'm certain your doctor knows you best, so ask. I had several miscarriages and 2 live births. I doubt I could have used a hip belt at all. I could barely drive, as my belly hit the steering wheel. I'm 60 inches tall and had a 43 inch waist (almost as wide as I was tall). Crazy Physically, I did everything that I had been doing and slowed down when it wasn't comfortable any more. I listened to my body. I still try to listen to it. Some days I can do more, and less other days. Mary
Kim

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

daddee, somehow i knew u'd be the 1st to respond. what might've given me that idea? i don't know, the name "daddee" and the picture of u with your child in my memory?!

thx for all the info, keep em coming. i like to get as much experience and opinions as possible and see from there. Smile
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, you were right Kim.

And in response to others, please note that I did say it was a personal decision, and one that should be made together with your doctor. I don't have all the answers, I merely put out a little info that Marci and I learned while talking to her OBGYN.

Marci has made a decision on the side of extreme caution (not to mention that she isn't terribly active to begin with - so she's not giving up much). I know lots of mothers who did all their normal activities without slowing down a bit and things were just fine for them as well. But there are a few who also had major problems and had to severly restrict their activities.

So which is it for you?

I think Mary said in fewer words what I was trying to say, which is: listen to your body. If you feel comfortable doing it, it's probably okay. If you have pain or if you feel nervous doing it, then don't.

Every person is different, and every person needs to make decisions based on their own capabilities. Get all the information you can and then go with what makes you the most comfortable and makes you the happiest and healthiest.

If you do that, nobody will ever say you needlessly put yourself at risk.

I'd be particularly interested to hear from Diane on this one. She's bound to have some really terrific information to share.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/18/2005, 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since I have two little dirt-squirts I thought I'd jump in on this one too. Regarding risk to the babyand you, I agree with what has already been said about listening to yourself and your OB. Obviously it's going to be different for every woman so you have to just do what you can and see how it works for you.

I day hiked (anywhere from 2 to 10 miles) up until the last month with both my pregnancies and didn't have any probs. (other than needing more sleep after the longer outings). I didn't do much b-packing after the first trimester though, I just couldn't comforatably use my hipbelt.

Hiking and backing once the little ones are out is totally doable. There are just alot of considerations - diapering and feeding are of course two big ones but there are many others. I think it's a mind set thing and as long as you are willing to make the necessary changes in you style of hiking you should be able to accomodate a child or children tagging along of any age.

There is a really great yahoo group for this by the way - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/

Best of luck to you Kim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: