ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Thin Red Line
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
Who would have thought that "ultralight" could become a controversial subject...

I'm all for having all the necessities, plus a bunch of niceties, but I would think we would all agree that saving five or ten pounds allows us to go that much further, see that much more, and generally enjoy it all just a little more. I won't go into the gear I use unless someone asks but my pack generally weighs in at about 30 - 35 pounds with food and water for a three day trip. I find I am comfortable with this, which makes me more comfortable with my ability to be safe in the back-country. That's really what it's all about isn't it? Being safe and enjoying the time spent back of beyond.
Hey Matt, I think you packed 32oz of vino up to LaBarge! We did enjoy the time back there (the scorpions were an added attraction!!! ).
matt gilbert wrote:
unless someone asks but my pack generally weighs in at about 30 - 35 pounds with food and water for a three day trip.
matt gilbert wrote:
I won't go into the gear I use...
Come-on pard, tell us what you take and don't take. Jim.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Located this article & though I might share since it was related to Desert Hiking unlike most other "lightweight" resources that assume abundance of water

Desert Hiking Gear List By Carol Crooker
Seasons: Spring, Early Summer, Fall

Context: The desert hiking gear list provided below is one example of how a lightweight backpacking enthusiast might select equipment for a 3-day weekend outing in benign desert conditions in the spring through fall. Deep summer conditions (the monsoon season), when torrential rains threaten and temperatures exceed 105°F (41°C), are excluded.

The list is designed for the southwest United States desert. Vegetation is of the prickly variety, and trails are generally rocky. Trees, if any, are normally small and thorny. Water is available, but scarce. Three-season temperatures range from about 25 to 105°F (-4 to 41°C) and can be quite variable. A single trip into the Grand Canyon in May can see temperatures from freezing to the 90's (low 30's C), with intense sun in the inner canyon and snow, rain and hail near the rim.

This list is aimed at the cooler end of the above range. For a trip where the expected low is 60°F (16°C), both insulation layers, the warm hat, and the sleeping bag could be left at home. For a trip at the very lowest end of the range, a warmer sleeping bag, such as a Bozeman Mountain Works Quantum Arc X, and gloves (see the PossumDown Gloves) might be added.

Click this link for rest of the article:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/desert_backpacking_gear_list.html

About the Author
Carol Crooker joined the Backpacking Light Magazine staff as the Editor-in-Chief in April, 2004. She moved to Phoenix, Arizona in 1996 where she immediately fell in love with the desert trails. When her first backpacking trip into the Grand Canyon required an initial load of 24 pounds of water, she understood the importance of pack weight reduction. She began a tradition of research, experimentation, and fiddling with pack weight that continues still. Carol further sharpened her minimalist approach to desert travel during the Boulder Outdoor Survival School’s (BOSS) 27-day Field Course in southern Utah in 1999. She enjoys lightweight backpacking in the desert most months of the year.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Promised follow up article on Summer in the Desert

Summer Desert Gear List By Carol Crooker

Introduction
Most desert backpacking is just like three-season backpacking anywhere else except it's more pleasant. No bugs, high humidity, or rain. The Desert Gear List (Mild Season) reflects this. The following gear list is for summer desert backpacking where temperatures over 100 °F (38 °C) are the norm, and water sources are scarce. In contrast to the Desert Gear List (Mild Season), the pack used has an internal frame, there are more water containers with a larger total volume, more articles of sun protection clothing, and less articles of insulating clothing. Minimizing gear weight is important to keep the total pack weight within a lightweight pack's carrying capacity even when 16 pounds (7 kg) or more of water is carried.

Click on link for rest of the article......

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/summer_desert_gear_list.html
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I read that article the other day desertgirl. I was prepared to knock it but she knows her stuff. I was pleasantly surprised--she really is a pro.

When using rocks in lieu of stakes tie a small rock to the end of the triptease and put a big rock on the line--the small one holds and everything stays where you put it.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/17/2004, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The bulk of my weight is in my food and water obviouly so I'll leave those out all together (especially since their needs change rom hike to hike and person to person, suffice to say plenty of both, and more than is needed, should be carried)

For dayhiking I use a camelbak transformer. Generally the items that go in it are as follows:

- First aid/Emergency kit
--2x gauze bandage (in rolls)
--2oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide
--Solar blanket sleeping bag
--Ace Bandage (the self adhesive kind)
--Signal mirror (military style)
--Chapstick (military kind)
--Small bottle painkillers/other medication
--Chlor Floc water purification tablets (x10)
--Unlubricated Condom (emergency water bladder)
--Ferro Rod Firestarter
--Unbreakable comb
--1oz container of salve
--Waterproof first aid tape
--small roll of dental floss
--pocket size knife sharpener
--extra camelback valve
--small patch of rubber innertube (for starting fires)
--small screwdriver (for my glasses)
--small tweezers
--floding scissors
--small red bic lighter (red for ease in locating)
--needles pre-wrapped with thread
--Zip-ties (x5)
--several safety pins
--whistle
--keychain LED
--extra buttons
--short length of tripwire
--short length of bailing wire
This all fits into a sack that measures about 5x3x8 and weighs about a pound. If you start thinking about it, there is almost no problem that you can't solve with something in the bag. It has everything you need to set up an emergency bivy and survive comfortable (as long as theres food and water available) for some time. Most of the item's uses are self explanatory if anyone has a question about anything feel free to ask.

I also carry 25' of 1" nylon webbing (bright yellow) and 50' of para-chord. I always have a pocket knife on my shoulder strap and a fixed blade (mora's frost) in my bag.

If there will be water available I carry my water filter as well. I use the first need, which many will argue is heavier, more expensive, and possibly not any better than a cheaper, lighter model, but I figure my drinking water is one area where I'd rather take the chance carrying the extra weight.

I carry REIs packable pants and jacket (waterproof, non-breathable, but stuffs into a sack the size of my fist) if it's really cold I add a down vest to the get-up. Alwas extra socks, sometimes extra underwear. I also usualy have the bottoms of my convertable pants in the pack as well.

I usually carry a monocular and my camera with me as well. Outside of that it's really just my food and water.

For backpacking I take the same items mentioned above (yes, the exact same items) and add my tent (usually a solo tent), my sleeping bag, 3/4 thermarest, and extra food and waterm (and my wine). Sometimes I'll carry a nalgene and sometimes not, it depends on where I'm going.

Theres not a lot of extras or frills but I have everything I need to get most jobs done. I'm sure there are a couple glaring things that I'm omitting, but I'll think of them and then post again later.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/17/2004, 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For those who remember Carol joined us on the Black Mesa GHOTM, I was fortunate to have some conversation with her. I certainly need all the help I can get on packing light, since I solo so much its a habit to carry "stuff" -- just in case.

I like the First Need water filter also, although it is bulky, I've never had a problem with the water I've filtered with it.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/17/2004, 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glaring ommission #1: Map and compass
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 7/17/2004, 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

matt gilbert wrote:
Glaring ommission #1: Map and compass
Rodger that bro. I carry a lot less than you, with the emphasis on back-up water/filter/meagher food/some clothes. I'm trying to work it out as a 20 mile radius, because that's about what a distance runner can do without food. After a second 20 mile day, planning (and water) becomes critical, and the map/compass become crucial.

But this is for solo expeditions, so splitting the work-load among companions can add a big safety margin.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/20/2004, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't take much in the way of extra food. It may not be pleasant but I can go a long time with none. Water and salts are another matter.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 7/20/2004, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maryphyl-

I agree, you can go along time and live without food. But, if you are burning 3500 calories per day or more, it is VERY painful to do so and does slow one down tremendously. Food is a primary morale booster, I hate to do without it. I remember gladly being willing to carry much extra food (in hindsight) as I ATE the remnants of my coffee creamer for a morning snack one particular hike. It was a long miserable day, but yes, to the chagrin of some, I survived.
Tim could probably say the same for sleeping bags, I bet. Do without it once and you never want to do without again.

-Pete

btw, I didnt use spellcheck!
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/21/2004, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:
Maryphyl-

I agree, you can go along time and live without food. But, if you are burning 3500 calories per day or more, it is VERY painful to do so and does slow one down tremendously. Food is a primary morale booster, I hate to do without it. I remember gladly being willing to carry much extra food (in hindsight) as I ATE the remnants of my coffee creamer for a morning snack one particular hike. It was a long miserable day, but yes, to the chagrin of some, I survived.
Tim could probably say the same for sleeping bags, I bet. Do without it once and you never want to do without again.

-Pete

btw, I didn't use spell check!

Stuff happens I guess but my goal is to suffer only minor misery if things don't turn out as expected. If you cover everything that could happen you might as well take that proverbial sink. LMAO Because I did use spell check and it found two errors in your stuff but none in mine. Gotcha!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/21/2004, 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember one winter hike where I ate my last food at Phantom Ranch, then started up the S. Kaibab with plenty of water, but that's all. Above Cedar Ridge I was so beat, I just wanted to lie down in the snow and quit. If Robert hadn't given me some raisens and half a bagel, it would have been really tough to keep going. True, I could have made it, but a little extra food would have made it a LOT more pleasant... Mr. Green
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/21/2004, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Active people need fuel. That's all. When you are doing those steep trails, you need to keep eating even if you are not hungry if you care about your body. I have been in aerobic pursuits for decades and have seen the ones who don't fuel their bodies grow weak and really suffer. It can damage you for the next day and the day after that. Any way you look at it, good food is worth the weight.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/21/2004, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Coming out from day hike to Plateau Point I ran into three guys off to the side of the BA trail about halfway between the two rest houses; one was on the ground, shivering and not quite lucid. I asked if he needed water...I had plenty....and was told, "No, he's been drinking, but hasn't eaten since early morning. Almost certainly suffered from hyponatremia, aka Water Intoxication. His pals were giving him small amounts of jerky and crackers. Body needs fluids, but food is the fuel that it runs on; no fuel, body starts shutting down.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/22/2004, 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Coming out from day hike to Plateau Point I ran into three guys off to the side of the BA trail about halfway between the two rest houses; one was on the ground, shivering and not quite lucid. I asked if he needed water...I had plenty....and was told, "No, he's been drinking, but hasn't eaten since early morning. Almost certainly suffered from hyponatremia, aka Water Intoxication. His pals were giving him small amounts of jerky and crackers. Body needs fluids, but food is the fuel that it runs on; no fuel, body starts shutting down.

Alright--I give--You're right. I still don't see where you need a whole lot extra. I always end up with some because my appetite is not so hot the first day or two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: