ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Thin Red Line
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now I know that most everyone here knows what they are doing out there but when it comes to the few times I day-hike with someone I haven't hiked with, I do care what they are carrying. The unprepared can affect not only themselves but the rest of whom they are around. Mostly what I care about is; the persons water supply, rain/weather gear and are they bringing their own food.

Even in a group situation, we should all take responsibility for our own salvation. If one person dehydrates, goes hypothermic in a monsoon rainstorm or just plain bonks because they didn't think to bring some food along, it may put the rest in a precarious situation.

I like to see an overestimation on water. I know its heavy and a pain to hump all day but in our reality it keeps you healthy and refreshed. While most people who meet an untimely end outdoors die of hypothermia, we have the added heat equation that kills a certain amount of folks every hot season as well.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of things that I have learnt over many a trip is the quality of food that you carry -- now on my longer trips I ensure I have calorie dense foods in convenient packages (or lack there of !). Also, the quality of food sustains you for longer durations (slow energy release allowing you more miles before you stop for another meal)

This has allowed me to leave behind pot /pans as well as heavier foods that you need more of ... Over the past few year this alone has allowed me to shed ~3 lbs (not much but its a step in the lighter direction)

I'd rather carry extra water that stuff I can easily do without!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Folks,

Lets all play nice -- after all it is an educational discussion.

Each of us "Hike our own hike" & "Live to backpack another day"-- but we can all benefit from shared learning!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Folks,

Lets all play nice -- after all it is an educational discussion.

Each of us "Hike our own hike" & "Live to backpack another day"-- but we can all benefit from shared learning!

Desertgirl, YOU ROCK!! Excellent... No one could've said it better.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
we can all benefit from shared learning!

Couldn't have said it better. No two people in this world are going to agree on everything but we can benefit from the discussing of it. I have learned some pretty cool things in discussions. Never stop learning.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
One of things that I have learnt over many a trip is the quality of food that you carry -- now on my longer trips I ensure I have calorie dense foods in convenient packages (or lack there of !). Also, the quality of food sustains you for longer durations (slow energy release allowing you more miles before you stop for another meal)

I'd rather carry extra water that stuff I can easily do without!
Desertgirl, what foods/calories did you take to Horseshoe Mesa? Does anybody have a "rule-of-thumb" for calories/day required for a given body weight with backpack?

Water is more important than food, so I try to plan the weight of water first and then what foods to take.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/14/2004, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW63,

Well Horse Shoe Mesa was bit different (turned into the absolute best food fest on trail Very Happy ) Thanks to all those that carried extras) but if it turned out the way I had planned -- Had the same listed below but I brought along a tub of hummus & some pita to share. On short overnighters - I tend to a bit lax on minimizing wt. but still watch it.

I usually have prepackaged meals from www.trailfoods.com (BF/Lunch/Dinner) If I don't eat packed food for lunch I usually try to ensure I either have snacked enough or make sure I catch up on calories a 2 stage dinner if I have had a hard trail day +dehydrated veggies + snacks (2-3 powerbar like foods)+ highcal trailmix - more nuts than sugar + coffee (Oh Yes!) + beef jerky + dessert - Cheeseits; dehydrated fruits and some other snack that catches my fancy + gookinade/Gatorade . Ramen Noodles is backup or when I crave a saltcrammed soupy hot comfort food!

I used to run 2lbs /day for food but have been able to trim it down to just over 1 lb ( a bit higher in winter) through studying my usage & increasing calorie density.

I try to optimize on the amount on water needed to cook ( max of 16 oz!/meal - usually 8-10oz ). I make sure I keep up on fluids as water & electrolyte mix.

I usually will have 30-40oz in reserve when I am done with my hike ...just playing safe.

Some more info below:

Backpacking takes an amazing amount of energy (long trips are great weight-loss plan!). Backpacking food needs to supply your body with roughly 2,500 to 5,000 calories a day, the lower figure for easy summer hiking, the higher figure for cold-weather, intense mountaineering. The middle-ground, 3000 to 4000 calories, is right in line with the 1 ½ to 2 pounds of food guideline.

http://www.backpacking-guide.com/backpacking-food.html
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00034.html
(Check section on cooking/food)
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
When you are ultra light, you either leave the tooth brush at home, or you share one with someone else.

I hope it does not gross you out but my Robert and I share that toothbrush.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
Quote:
pack weights are measured as a base without food and water, gear only that is. I thought you would know that

Isn't that kind of an artificial quantity? The food and water has to be carried too... On any particular hike, your legs don't care what the gear weight is, they are concerned about how much thay have to carry, regardless of what it is...

Silly boy--consumables change depending on the length of the trip(and the weather) How have you been? I still have your stuff you loaned me for RA last spring.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Who would have thought that "ultralight" could become a controversial subject...

I'm all for having all the necessities, plus a bunch of niceties, but I would think we would all agree that saving five or ten pounds allows us to go that much further, see that much more, and generally enjoy it all just a little more. I won't go into the gear I use unless someone asks but my pack generally weighs in at about 30 - 35 pounds with food and water for a three day trip. I find I am comfortable with this, which makes me more comfortable with my ability to be safe in the back-country. That's really what it's all about isn't it? Being safe and enjoying the time spent back of beyond.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:
Guess I'm missing the point here.

First rule of hiking and back packing: Hike your own hike.

HeII, come on out with nothing more than a snikers bar and a jack knife, or drag along your Lodge Dutch Oven and the living room sofa, it's your comfort and your bones, what do I care?

Shawn- I am sending you the raspberries. I don't care what you carry either but we can still have a discussion. Saying "who cares about that" sure brings things to a standstill. Mary
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
Hnak wrote:
Quote:
pack weights are measured as a base without food and water, gear only that is. I thought you would know that

Isn't that kind of an artificial quantity? The food and water has to be carried too... On any particular hike, your legs don't care what the gear weight is, they are concerned about how much thay have to carry, regardless of what it is...

Silly boy--consumables change depending on the length of the trip(and the weather) How have you been? I still have your stuff you loaned me for RA last spring.

Hi Mary! I've been sorta busy, with time taken out once in a while to go play in the water (You know how much I like West Clear Creek.. Wink )

I'm heading up that way in the next couple weeks (I think) to visit my parents, I'll stop by and say hi... I'll let you know when that might happen when I have some idea... Hank
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It takes a lot of thought to pack a light pack safely. It takes a lot of work over time to think how one might cut the weight. I have spent years working on this problem and making careful purchases and decisions. Some were good ideas and some were not. In thirty years of doing this I have helped countless others to reduce the weight in their packs. Have the courtesy not to make too much fun of those of us who care and would like to trade ideas. I will be 60 next year and if I had not gotten my load down I would not still be out there hikin.
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can count me as one of those that you have helped... And I do appreciate it! Agree
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/15/2004, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
You can count me as one of those that you have helped... And I do appreciate it! Agree

Thank you Hnak. Mi casa es tu casa--and that goes for you too Shawn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: