ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Temporary Shutdown July, 1st 2005
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 10:21 am    Post subject: Temporary Shutdown July, 1st 2005 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Due to numerous circumstances we will be shutting the site down for a while as of July, 1st 2005.

We have a great community here, those that participate but we've got to shut down and revamp some things in order to continue as a site.
Other various circumstances are responsible as well; we've had multiple complaints from gear manufacturers and retailers due to "special requests" from members, members posing as "guides" and requesting money for information and guide services, and other such mischief.
Also to be quite honest we thought we would be much larger and profitable than this at two years in to the project. We had counted on have some type commercial sponsorship, paid ads, subscription services, retail discounts and the like. The CafePress store has been a complete loss as well and the stickers I've given away seem to draw no attention either.

I'm sorry to have to say it but we're going to have to scale back and rethink our approach to this whole thing. When we bring it back on line hopefully the old crowd will stick with us and we'll be able to continue on for another two years or more.

Thanks,
GTG
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope you all understand how much of a gut wrenching decision this has been for Todd and me. Y'all are like a part of our family. But, like many families, there are always black sheep. You know the kind you never speak about and avoid at the annual get togethers. But I digress...

Rest assured, AZH will be back. When and in what format we don't exactly know. But, look at the bright side, at least we're doing it during the summer when half the Zonies head for San Diego and the rest are here suffering in the miserable heat, unwilling to step outside for longer than it takes to get from the door to the car, much less go for a hike. We know there will be some obvious changes... the animated smilies will have to go (thankfully, that means no more of Hooli's mooning smilie!!). User name's may have to be shortened to save precious database resources. "thesuperstitions" may have to become "thesupes", for example. At least Todd and I won't be affected by that change!! Agree

Over the coming months, we'll be making some tough decisions about the site. We appreciate your patience and value your input.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Happy About time ......isnt it ?
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me, even if it means making an investment into the site..

I'd be interested in hearing more about the complaints also. Are we having potential legal issues?

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aw crap....and I was just getting to like you guys! Rolling Eyes

GTG wrote:
We had counted on have some type commercial sponsorship,

It was those dang Grand Canyon park rangers that put a stop to that, I'm sure! I'm gonna let them have it when I go up there today!!! Rant

GTG wrote:
The CafePress store has been a complete loss as well

Well Hooli had to fill the motorhome with gas for that Yellowstone trip he's got planned this summer somehow!!! Evil or Very Mad

I'm not sure I can come back to a site without smilies though.... Shocked Say What? Dismayed Shocking! Hmmm

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
roger

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll change my name to "r" to save space ROFLMAO

roger
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is this an April Fools joke???

Hooli is on the roof threatening to jump and Rich just called me to come over and make sure his dinner is ready just in case the old guy jumps.

Fess Up!!!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can understand that some of you are jumping to conclusions. But, the reality is, we wanted to give everyone a fair heads-up (unlike some webmasters who take down their sites without warning...) and decided 3 month would be appropriate. Today is exactly 3 months from July 1st.

Daryl, I don't think we're to the point of needing a site lawyer. But, just in case, are there any lawyers among our members?

Thanks for the offer Roger. Paint, your username is rather long, too. Maybe you could shorten it to pninaz, or something?
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
Paint, your username is rather long, too. Maybe you could shorten it to pninaz, or something?

pninaz???? Embarassed I'm not sure I want to go by that moniker! I suppose some people would find "brat" to be quite suitable.... Stunned

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, if ya need to whittle down the membership to save resources... I think you could safely axe all of the out-of-staters without fear of reprisal. (especially those living in Michigan and/or Maryland!!)

( Scared )
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

pninaz????

Rofl Laughing Laughing I love it Exclamation You could personalized license plates, too Shocked
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got me... Rolling Eyes

Good job

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
Is this an April Fools joke???

Hooli is on the roof threatening to jump and Rich just called me to come over and make sure his dinner is ready just in case the old guy jumps.

Fess Up!!!
Bouncing Bouncing Smilie in the Box I think so.....generally, I'm fooled very easily, too! Mary
ghoster

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HOw about a reasonable subscription for access? If you could also snag some discounts with the gear guys, that might make it work? I am not sure how you would accomplish all of this, but commercial is as commercial does. Thanks for the bumper sticker but I never see anyone else's at the trailheads. Advertising might make it go also. Just a thought.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/1/2005, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Come on guys! My name is as short as I can get it!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> ** Announcements ** All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: