ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Haunted Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Haunted Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm curious how reliable the spring at Tony's cabin is and is it actually at the cabin or just near it? Also, how large is the area around the cabin? I'm thinking of backpaking into this area and camping near the cabin.

Thanks.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The spring is on the East side of the creek bed roughly 1/10 mile North of the cabin. Fast easy walking distance. Clear path for carring water. The Spring is tapped and reliable. The cabin sits in the canyon floor with large clear meadows around it. It's in good shape with an iron wood burning stove on the inside. The area surronding the cabin is flat and not terribly rocky--very good sleepin' stuff. There is also a rock fire ring set-up and some lines tied over head for drying things. Some trees are close enough together to take a hammock. There are a few "usable" pots and other miscellaneous supplies in the cabin. Last I was there, the cot was even usable. The roof on the cabin is solid enough to keep one from getting rained on--if we could ever get a good rain!! All in all, it's a great place to camp!!
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs's info is very good. During a visit there last month, the spring looked very reliable, and the area around the cabin looked inviting for camping. The bed in the cabin, however didn't! I certainly wouldn't plan on sleeping inside the cabin; a tent in the meadow would be much nicer. We talked about how we would love to camp there sometime - enjoy, and let us know how it went!! Mr. Green
k9hiker

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I definitely will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info. Higgs. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cactuscat did you make it the rei talk?
I was looking around for people afterward, but not many hung around.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/31/2003, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I missed it, I'm sorry to say! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: