ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Is it just me?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Is it just me? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been noticing that the hot song out there this year is the "Flower Duet" from the opera Lakme by Delibes. Not a great opera, and that was the only aria worth listening to out of the opera, but that aria has a genuinely beautiful melody.

You can listen to a portion of it here (scroll down to the samples).

Seriously, it's freakin' everywhere. Listen to the melody, and I guarantee that if you watch any TV you'll hear the melody show up in 3 or 4 different commercials or specials or whatever. Impress your friends with your esoteric knowledge of erudite crap.

It's a beautiful tune, but some of the renditions of it are a little lame and it's starting to bug me.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We really need to get Dave a name and an avatar on this site. He's the opera singer in the family!! Not to mention, he loves esoteric knowledge of erudite crap!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Dave...... loves esoteric knowledge of erudite crap!!

OHMYGAWD....Dave's Daddee's clone Scared
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
jmzblond wrote:
Dave...... loves esoteric knowledge of erudite crap!!

OHMYGAWD....Dave's Daddee's clone Scared

Don't even go there!! Them be fight'n words!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Indeed. I have no clone. The world has been spared the horror ( Silly )of that for now.

Caleb will be unleashed upon the masses one day to take my place - but for now, I am the only one to torture you folks with crappy posts that nobody cares about. Nah Nah!

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
samiam

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it's getting harder to post a uncrappy post,with all the teacher's in house..anyone going to see the disney movie..The new american movie? I think we should all go see it just to show Moore that some still love usa and american's..
ck1

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Impress your friends with your esoteric knowledge of erudite crap.

This could be the finest line ever posted on AZH. BRAVO! I plan to use it next year in my senior English course as well as the college course I'll be teaching! What a great great line.

I knew there was a reason I liked talking to you.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What college course and where?

Currently I'm teaching an Intro to Ed. Psych course for undergrads at ASU on Wednesday night.

- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got two courses now for Rio Salada, one on-line (interesting format) and one seminar style course. The first is a course on para-professionals, the later is an intro to special education. Rio was willing to work around my teaching schedule in Gilbert, so it's a pretty sweet gig.

Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm doing an internet course this summer that is the same as the one I teach on Wednesday nights. It's pretty interesting, but has its challenges. We use Blackboard at ASU for all the online classes - a nice tool if somewhat limited.

It's good to teach at the college level - isn't it? I really enjoy it.

- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 6/30/2004, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
We use Blackboard at ASU for all the online classes - a nice tool if somewhat limited..

We use a program called 1stClass. I'm still learning the ropes with it.

Daddee wrote:
It's good to teach at the college level - isn't it? I really enjoy it.

What I really enjoy is the diversity. Gilbert has a somewhat homogeneous population, whereas Rio pulls from all over...

Likewise, going from teaching high school sophomores and seniors with learning disabilities to college students is a refreshing change of pace.

matt gilbert

PostPosted: 7/1/2004, 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of the blackboard system. I've found that most of the teachers are not willing to use it to the extent they need to to make it a useful tool. That and the system seems to go down more than it should for somthing that students rely on.

Jared, what sort of psychology do you study/teach (intro aside)?
Suzaz

PostPosted: 7/1/2004, 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know you guys were teaching adults. I'm finishing up a class in Math Strategies and Techniques in Boulder City, NV right now. I usually take "my show" on the road and work in various places around the country. I have taught University courses in WI, St. Louis area, New Mexico, CA, Nevada, Michigan, Alaska, Louisiana and a few other places that I'm sure I have forgotten.

Blackboard was fair when I used it for a Distance Learning course when it was used in combination with 2 way compressed video signal, and site meetings.

On a side note----I have a friend that is looking to hire 20 educator people for a 2 year project (full-time or part-time contract work is available---electronic transfer--so working from home is possible) to rewrite electronic curriculum for 3rd-12th grade for 4 states. My plate is too full to participate but it seems like an exciting project. Send me a PM if you would be interested in that type of work and I'll put you in touch.)
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 7/1/2004, 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The class I teach is a sort of survey of psychology as it applies in educational situations. ASU offers two versions of the class (EDP 310), one is for education majors and focuses pretty exclusively on application in the classroom. The other is for non-education majors (that's the one I teach) and I try to find ways that educational psychology can be applied in areas other than in the classroom.

It's pretty cool. I'm given fairly free reign in what I want to teach. You can take the class for anywhere from 1 to 3 credits and it is structured in 5 week modules. You can take one, two or three modules (with corresponding credit value).

The modules I'll be teaching this fall are: The mind and learning, Memory, and then career development (a slight departure from ed. psych. - but it's a BIG hit with the students and they have found it incredibly useful).

I love teaching it. I get excited teaching about things I find interesting and the students seem to have a good time. The students especially enjoy the career development module. I have experience in the business world, and that is what a lot of the students that take my class are going into (the majority are business majors) so they appreciate what I bring to the table, then I bring in recruiters and other experts to teach them about real-world situations. It's a great time.

- Abraham Lincoln
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/1/2004, 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
then I bring in recruiters and other experts to teach them about real-world situations. It's a great time.

Is this where they learn how to search the internet for obscure topics while on company time? Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: