ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Workout Routines?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Workout Routines? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Knowing the physical fitness of the members here, I was curious as to how others workout on a daily/weekly basis...what's your workout routine? Do you follow a set plan? Or is everyone like Jim who runs 10 miles every single day?

What do you guys do to workout?

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When weather's cool enough I take dog for a hard paced 40-50 minute walk in the early a.m.Gotta be before sun up these days 'cause short haired black dog can handle fairly warm ambient heat, but radiant heat when sun's up really hard on him. Try to hit the gym three to four times a week, e.g. yesterday did 20 minutes on crosstrainer alternating five min frwd, five rvrs. hopped off that and did 20 minutes on treadmill a 15% incline @ 3.5 mph pace. Then worked the weight machines for upper body. Today went in and worked legs on machines for 45 minutes. Usually would do 30/30 on treadmill/cross trainer, but still recovering from being dead on my butt with bronchitis for over two weeks. Neighbors think I'm crazy....think they may have a point Crazy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I play pick up games of bball Monday-Friday for an hour or so, thats about it for me.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I climb the stairs from the third level of the parkng garage to the third floor of the building I work in. Some of our company is located on the fifth floor, so if I have to go up there, I take the stairs, too. Lift weights, but not regularly, go for long walks, run in a park nearby where there's an exercise trail, use a mini-stair stepper, and play softball (although, our team is taking the summer off... wimps!).
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mainly hike, hike and hike some more.

Recently started hitting the gym again and do that three days a week. I notice a marked improvement in how I feel, mentally and physically. I just lift in the gym, I get all my aerobic rambling throughout the woods and the Wilderness ( I was going to say on the trail, but I'm not on a trail much Laughing Laughing Laughing )
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

12oz curls.

Beer

Seriously now, I put miles on every day. It's great having a 'campus' atmosphere at work. Lot's of time out in the elements. Still haven't taken the time to record exactly how many miles I put on during an average day. Soon.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hiking was my sole exercise until the gas prices got outrageous and getting up at 4:30 AM to go on a hike in Sedona, Payson or Prescott was getting harder and harder to do. So I joined LA Fitness a few months back because it was cheaper. At LA Fitness I use the rowing machine, elliptical, recumbant bike and treadmill. I'l start weight training with my daughter as soon as she moves here in a week. Also, I average 10 -16 miles a week walking around a local lake. I plan to increase that each week because I'm starting to work on my endurance for the 1/2 marathon in January. Being over-weight has been a battle with me for a while now so I'm no where near "in shape" but I'll keep trying and trying and ....
Sheri
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Our football team lifts weights for 1 hr - 1 1/2hrs then we either run for a half an hour (we've been running slowly more and more) or we run an 800,400,400,200,200,100,100, etc all the way do to twenty (all in meters) and that'll whip you into shape in no time

Kerouac
ck1

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Recently started hitting the gym again

Wonder what (who) was the motivation behind that... Very Happy

"The Journey is the Destination"
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well...I walk from the parking garage to my office...then I occassionally get up and have to retrieve papers from the printer which is out in the 'other' office Shocked

I use to get up every morning at 4:30 am and go to the gym, work out for an hour doing weights one day and cardio (treadmill or elliptical) another...never'd know it would ya? Wink

Lately though, due to changes in schedules w/ my workout partner...I've been going Tues. & Thurs. doing a PowerFlex class (low impact, resistance, weight training) and on Sat. when I'm not hiking I go to the BOSU class (which is balancing on this inflatable half dome thingy while doing cardio and weights...it's a killer workout!!!) , now that the pool has warmed up to a comfy temp at night I'll probably add laps.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been going for bike rides in the morning, evening hikes and my employer has a great gym that I visit a couple of times a week (mainly while on duty).
Kim

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i walk/run south mtn 7 days/week for an hr or less. the only time i miss is pretty much if i'm hiking. every now and then i'll do strengthening exercises or stretch. i'm really lazy about those, though. i think i'd do more if i didn't work so much and have so many hobbies, though. i make sure to always at least get those walk/runs in, though-even if it's 7 or 8am when it's hot.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/29/2004, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Arizonaheat wrote:

Hey he did it on his own accord... I have been lame the last several months probably due to the fact that I walk 10-12 miles a day at work in the heat it is hard to get motivated to go workout after a grueling day.
Being a huge fan of yoga and pilates, I somehow manage to fit in some isometrics and advanced stretching to keep the ole joints mobile...that is where I really notice a difference. Training for flexibility is key.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/29/2004, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Arizonaheat wrote:

Hey he did it on his own accord... I have been lame the last several months probably due to the fact that I walk 10-12 miles a day at work in the heat it is hard to get motivated to go workout after a grueling day.
Being a huge fan of yoga and pilates, I somehow manage to fit in some isometrics and advanced stretching to keep the ole joints mobile...that is where I really notice a difference. Training for flexibility is key.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/29/2004, 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I belong to L.A. Fitness and go some times and play racquetball or work out on the machines... I can't honestly say I do it routinely though... I hate working out by myself.... I need motivation to work out and my biggest motivation leans toward hiking and that has been null and void since the last group hike I did....

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: