ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
C'mon guys!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 8:31 pm    Post subject: C'mon guys! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why lock off a topic when it's just getting good? We're all adults here and there's nothing wrong with some heated political debate, besides I have some questions for samiam. Like "payback long overdue" for what exactly? Since Iraq had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks on the US, what is the payback for? And where did you learn to spell?!
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon guys! Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
And where did you learn to spell?!

Ouch!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon guys! Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
We're all adults here
All minus 1, but i can handle the hot topics anyways

Kerouac
cactuscat

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine.
I don't understand how anyone can expect to be taken seriously or expect people to consider their opinion to be thought out and worthy of consideration when every other word is misspelled. It just seems to me that if you're trying to make an important point, you should take the time to spell it correctly.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"It is a damned poor mind indeed that can't think of at least two ways of spelling any word."
-- Andrew Jackson
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always heard it was Mark Twain that said that.

Teddy Roosevelt had similar sentiments. He thought English should adopt spelling of words that made more sense and a lot of his writings reflect that.

Brillian man, he just chose to spell things in a way that made sense to him.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
cactuscat

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
"It is a damned poor mind indeed that can't think of at least two ways of spelling any word."
-- Andrew Jackson

Cute. Laughing
And sorry if my comment was too mean. Samiam is not the only one who does that - but I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who's driven insane by it, either. I'm sure I misspell my share of words, too - it just makes posts harder to read and understand when they have to be deciphered.
I'll go to Dadee's other forum for political discussions. Free speech is a beautiful thing.
Anyhow, the whole point was that "Farenheit 9/11" is fantastic. It gets double thumbs-up from this Bush-bashing liberal, tree-hugging, hippie activist!
Like the bumper sticker says "I love my country, but I fear my government".
USA USA USA
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you Cactuscat - and I have already transfered the core of the discussion over to the "H3ll's Kitchen" site.

You can pick up and comment on the discussion here.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
It gets double thumbs-up from this Bush-bashing liberal, tree-hugging, hippie activist!

It's nice to know that there is more than one of us that fits this description.

"The Journey is the Destination"
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For these of your who claim to have an open mind put your money where your mouth is and read "Dereliction of Duty"
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
ck1

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SUN_HIKER wrote:
For these of your who claim to have an open mind put your money where your mouth is and read "Dereliction of Duty"

By Dereliction of Duty, do you mean the book by Patterson, or the Cato Institute's policy analysis from 1997 by Timothy Lynch? I've read both.

What's your point Sun Hiker?

samiam

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: C'mon guys! Reply to topic Reply with quote

cactuscat wrote:
Why lock off a topic when it's just getting good? We're all adults here and there's nothing wrong with some heated political debate, besides I have some questions for samiam. Like "payback long overdue" for what exactly? Since Iraq had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks on the US, what is the payback for? And where did you learn to spell?!
Well i guess the gloves come off, Kidding. as far as spelling i am a verry errored typer not that my spelling is bad i just tend to not correct what i write,i know you can tell what i am saying.....As far as Iraq.noting to do with 911? howabout a life of terrorism in saddam? he was the one we were after and as i recall through the years he has terrorized manny. Howabout his own people? Some may say it's not our concern but my self i would stick up for the little guy anytime..I am sure the wrath of the united states and what ones arent wussies Allies can be felt throughout the terroism network...we all know saddam was due his fate if not by us by someone...some can sit back and do nothing but what oertains to there own selfish desires. but when it hitts home your gonna cry foul..Suppose Saddam was left in power? what makes anyone think he was going to just leave us alone? Eventually he would have been totally involved like the one's in 911..Excuse me for having the desire to want to nip it in the bud before he does...wasent he trying to aquire nuke's..big ole yes..what for/ to terrorize..Im not blind..But getting rid of him meant getting rid of his army whitch were terrorists themselves..I am so ashamed of the ones who deny the human atrocities he and his sonns comitted..You cant possibly say we should keep our noses out of his buisness? I know i would definatly stop a would be killer if i had the chance..And i dont care what MR> Moore sayes there was all kinds of conections between the two groups..wher did the terrorists go for medical attention/ who gave terrorist's familly money 25 grand to do a bombing on american intrests? Iraq isent the foe..terrorism is,and when some get that in there head this country will be united as one against terror, not bickering while men are dying for our freedom...If you notice all the killing going on in iraq is by resistance to democracy by people who want total control of the citizens in Iraq,and also who are the majority of insergent's? TERRORISTS...why are they in Iraq if there was no link????????This is what i feel nothing more,dont be offended by my view,isent this america?
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

but I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who's driven insane by it, either.

Right on....add me to the insane list. I love Arizona, but being from the midwest I still can't believe how many poor spellers there are in here in the southwest and I am talking corporate supervisors, companies, etc. And it is easy stuff. I was in a hair salon recently and there was a sign on the desk ( engraved, imprinted ) that said NO APOINTMENT NECESSARY, Confused It's not that difficult.
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Sam, i respect your opinion, but besides very bad spelling, you have a lot of your facts wrong. A lot of these have been brought up by many people, 60 minutes, NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, and now Mr. Moore. Once you compile this information, W's justification to war begins to fall apart, leading many people, including myself, to feel that the US Public was mislead to go to war. I support the troops and the people over there whole heartedly, but i feel W's manipulated the media, and poorly informed people around the US, very badly to justify his own desires/needs.

Your Points
Life of terrorism, Allies throughout the terrorist network, What makes you think he would leave us alone... Money for bombing on US interests.

Realize Saddam was a secular leader, and is not, was not Islamic, only was to keep up the facade of an islamic country. Due to that, Al Queda has had a hit on him since the time he went to Afganistan. He had no link to the Al Queda network or other Islamic terrorist networks since they choose not deal with a secular leader. He did give money to families of the bombers in Israel, but never to any who destroyed US Interests. Also, Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries did send money too, not just Saddam. As to leaving us alone, he has never attacked us, besdies the planned hit on Bush senior, nor made any threats to us, until we invaded Iraq. Do not forget that WE, the US put him in power and gave him all his weapons, including the chemical weapons he used on his people, so that he could win the war on Iran.

Keep our noses out of his business....Terrorism is the enemy.

You are correct, our war is against terrorism. Iraq has no connection to terrorism outside thier country. No 911 person was from Iraq, majority was from Saudi Arabia. He had no link to terrorist groups since he was secular. And keep our noses out of his business, i would assume you are saying this because of his people. If we were policing the world, there are far worse atrocities than Saddam. The genocide in Rwanda is believed to have exceeded the deaths in the death camps in WWII, but we were not there, although it was widely reported as it happened. So i do not believe it was about the people or his atrocities. There are major atrocities occuring in the world right now, 21 year civil war in Sudan, estimations of 320K will die this year. Any good newspaper is full of them, so the gassing of his people years ago, is not the best support for invasion.

Sorry to write so long for those of you that read this. But this drive me nuts, these are the reasons we went to war and they all were incorrect. Personally i am glad he is out of power, and i am proud of the work all the troops have accomplished, just do not like watching the public be lied to. I am not anti-war, and i really do support everyone over there, just think that the people got lied to and they took it hook line and sinker.
ck1

PostPosted: 6/28/2004, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not Manny?!?!?!?! closed cell foam pad must PAY!!!

just joking...

Well said Brad!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: