ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Life of Boots
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 9:19 am    Post subject: Life of Boots Reply to topic Reply with quote

How many miles do your backpacking boots last you?

My boots fit like a glove when I first bought them, I never got blisters, my feet didn't ache after a day of backpacking, they were wonderful.....however (close to 200 miles later), I've begun to notice on my last couple of trips that my feet are getting sore, blisters are popping up here and there...is that a sign that it's time for new boots? Confused ...or maybe just new feet? Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Life of Boots Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
How many miles do your backpacking boots last you?

My boots fit like a glove when I first bought them, I never got blisters, my feet didn't ache after a day of backpacking, they were wonderful.....however (close to 200 miles later), I've begun to notice on my last couple of trips that my feet are getting sore, blisters are popping up here and there...is that a sign that it's time for new boots? Confused ...or maybe just new feet? Rolling Eyes

You sure you have them on the right feet? Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wear different boots, but my Montrails seem to be my fav. I've had them since Feb. and they are starting to break down, despite the fact that I change out between 4 pair of boots. I'm not sure how many miles are on them, I had most of my miles logged on HAZ. What I think it goofy, I think nothing of paying $100-$200 for a pair of boots, but I gasp at paying $50 for a pair of shoes I wear to work. I guess, I like to save my money for my gear. Mary
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Life of Boots Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
You sure you have them on the right feet? Razz

um yes.....unlike 'some' folks around here, I do manage to get my boots on the right feet!

these aren't MY feet......just who might this be, I wonder????? Chin Scratching

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bleating goat wakes you from a sound sleep in the middle of the wilderness this is how you react.

And MY feet don't hurt....maybe ya oughta try it. Crazy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My boots (Vasque Sundowners) lasted me from 97 till about now ----- served me quite well at ~700+ miles. Many hard backpacking miles on GrandCanyon Trails + Everest Base Camp trip ( This one is really hard on boots since you are walking on shattered rock which chews up the soles & uppers) and I had no isses with it until now -- I am running on slicks & dont get much grip ( I have not had any other issue with the shoe) so my hiking partner has been retired.... I miss my ol' shoe Crying or Very sad

I am in the process of breaking in a lighter Vasques..we will see how they last.

Couple of things I do helps out in extending boot life

1) Clean up the boots after the trip - Dirt is very abrasive on shoe leather and laces.
2) Dry out you boots in shade away from heat sources
3) Buy your correct size --
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am having a difficult time because I love my Vasques (Ion Mids) but they are gortex which is great but whenI try and do Paria in them I am gonna run into problems cause they are gonna hold water..... same for Westfork....so I am considering a pair of Vasque Velocities.... I think they will drain and dry well but then I don't believe they will hold up to a big long back pack like Paria... Just dont know what to do cause I do not want to won't to own ten different pairs of hiking foot wear.....

I am a Vasque kinda girl they fit my feet very well!

I want to shine!
jeeperaz

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
My boots (Vasque Sundowners) lasted me from 97 till about now-----I had no isses with it until now -- I am running on slicks & dont get much grip ( I have not had any other issue with the shoe) so my hiking partner has been retired.... I miss my ol' shoe Crying or Very sad

I am in the process of breaking in a lighter Vasques..we will see how they last.

Save those Sundowners!

Have them resoled by Dave Page Cobbler (highly recommended by just about everyone).

I had 2 pair of Sundowners in the past decade. The first pair saw many miles of the most remote sections of Arizona. I had them resoled by Dave Page and the boots saw many more years before I handed them down to my nephew. I bought another pair and years later I left them in my topless jeep. The sun beat down on them for weeks before I went to wear them again. Unfortunately, they had shrunk at least 1 size and I could no longer wear them despite my many efforts to stretch them.

Now the Sundowners being sold by Vasque are garbage compared to the original. Made in China versus hand crafted in Italy.

Dave Page, Cobbler (he is in washington but has the proper equipment for Vasque boots.
Telephone: (800) 252-1229

Regards,
Larry
Suzaz

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Tracy,
Remember my feet???? I had a pair of hiking shoes that I loved. I started getting blisters, pain and aching feet. Eventually I did some damage to my feet that required medical attention. (4 visits to the doc, cortisone shots, orthotics, and new boots)

I think it is difficult to say how many miles a shoe can take before needing replacement. Before AZH miles on my shoes were much less wearing. You have been on many of the same "miles" that I have been on. Think about the boulders, the cactus, the water, and the mud from that never ending trail. These miles are not likely to be the same type of miles most boots experience.

Listen to your feet. (haven't you seen the pictures of Stan and Hooli listening to their shoes??) I'm thinking you should try new boots or you might be asking me for the phone number of my podiatrist (sports med guy) Arrow Dr. Gary Campbell

FYI--Love my new Montrails!! Spinning Yes Yes Spinning
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

interesting thing I read about boots is that up to 90% of hiking boots are ill-fitted and many sufferers dont even know it. Just something I've read. I have friends that used to insist on buying footwear that is a size too large, and then filling in the gaps with "thick socks". This is a terrible mistake however, as you might imagine by the way its sounds. Thick socks dont absorb shock better, but they DO lead to blisters faster than normal when applied in this manner. I would suggest to anyone to get a proper fitting, not by some cronie at REI or Popular, but a trained fitting expert. We have a very store in our own back yard! The SUMMIT HUT in Tucson has trained fitters and a selection of 90 some-odd boot styles. Summit Hut was also listed as one of the top 5 outfitters in America, because of their fitting section. I think its worth the drive. Cool

what i do
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/26/2004, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have had some great luck so far with Scarpa Delta M3 boots with the birkenstock blue footbeds. I think if the boots are too cushy insides they break down but if they are firm, they last longer. It could just be the inserts or footbeds need to be replaced.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 6/26/2004, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen has a good point. Footbeds are important, I use Superfeet. I also beleive strongly in using cedar shoe trees in boots. I've learned the hard way that they shrink legnth wise as well as width, and if the toes curl up a bit it is not good.

Scarpa makes killer boots.

Mike is very correct about Summit Hut. REI Tempe has a couple fitters so trained but only a few. You want a fitter trained by Dr. Phil Oren, especially if you have a tempermental foot like my EEEE wide. -R
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Boots Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:

My boots fit like a glove when I first bought them.......I've begun to notice on my last couple of trips that my feet are getting sore, blisters are popping up here and there...is that a sign that it's time for new boots? Confused ...or maybe just new feet? Rolling Eyes

Well, it's a known fact that your feet get bigger as you get older Razz Bet that's the problem....probably need a half size bigger now.....maybe even a full size bigger Razz ....or more Rolling Eyes
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Life of Boots Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:

Well, it's a known fact that your feet get bigger as you get older

That's true because they sort of collapse a little over time. Gravity takes it's toll. Hoolie the blue Birk footbeds like you recomended have solved my metatarsal arch problems. In summer I wear sandals even to work to take the edge off of our extreme heat and this year they are a pair of Birks as well. The sandals have the same great metatarsal arch support as the blue footbeds.
Kim

PostPosted: 6/27/2004, 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MikeinFHAZ had mentioned at one point that feet should never hurt or have blisters after a hike. I did the Humphrey Peak-Weatherford-Kachina (18.5 miles or so) yesterday and my feet and knees were what hurt worse on my body. I figured that the impact of up and downhill was the reason for the knee pain and the constant being on my feet walking on rocky trails was the cause of foot pain. Is it really possible to have feet that don't ache after such a long hike?

also, paintninaz, it seems wierd to me that your feet never used to ache and you didn't get blisters when your boots were new. I thought that's when you do get blisters. 200 miles doesn't seem like a lot to me. That would be about 10-30 hikes depending on what a person usually hikes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: