ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dromedary vs Dromlite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/21/2004, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Dromedary vs Dromlite Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am headin' down to REI this week sometime because I want to essentially add a hydration system to my Gregory pack. It just has the two outside mesh bottle pockets and I carry more bottles inside. I want to get one of the dromedary or dromlite 4L bags and the drinking tube attachement and just keep that in the pack and basically have a makeshift hydration system.

The question is what is the difference in practical terms. I know people have dromedary bags, what do you like or dislike about them? Anyone have the Dromlite bags, same questions? Differences between the two that you have personally experienced? I have already researched to the end of the internet about it, now its your turn!!! Thanks!!!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/21/2004, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never used the dromedary bag, but I do have 2-4 liter dromlite bags. I use them all the time. What I like about them, is that they pack up so small, that they fit in with my water filter bag and they are very light weight. I also use them as a pillow while backpacking. They are also great at home, I've used them for a hot water bottle and an ice pack a few times. I always swore that if a hydration system had fault, that I would be the one to find it (I've broken the hard nalgene bottles, sprung leaks in both the Platypus and camelbacks). I've been using the dromlite over a year, with no complaints. I however, do not like the nubbed cap, but while shopping at Popular's in Flagstaff, the sales clerk told me that the Nalgene bottle covers fit the dormedary bags perfectly. I swear by these bladders. Mary
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/22/2004, 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have one of each and agree with what Mary says. They are light, pack down to nothing, highly versatile and near indestructible.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/22/2004, 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Dromedary bags are made of heavier Cordura. They are a bit more than an ounce heavier than Dromlites. The Dromedary has eyelets around the whole bag and a cord. For just an ounce or so savings, I'd go with the heavier Dromedary model for sure.

Wow. I just saw that they have a 64 ounce fanny pack style hydration bladder. Those things work perfect with a top-loader backpack pocket. I've been using a 40 ounce Camelbak. I got's to get me one of them.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/22/2004, 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I also have the Miniworks filter, so it makes sense to have everything compatible. I think I am gonna head down there on my lunch today and see what they have.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/22/2004, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ditto what Mary said, except I've got the regular Dromedary bags. A couple 4 liter bags and a 6 liter bag. On one hike I started with all of them full, luckily it was fairly level the first two days... With the drinking tube attachment they are a great hydration system, and makes a decent pillow at night... Hank
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/22/2004, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I just got back from REI. They didn't have any 4L Dromedary bags, so I got the 4L Dromlite bag with the hydration tube attachment. I will test it out this weekend in Flagstaff and give a report of it. Thanks!
-Ed Abbey
DesertHkr

PostPosted: 6/23/2004, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have and use both, also tested them for MSR. Basically the Dromlite makes a great bladder for the internal hydration pocket of a pack, where its rather thin skin is well protected against punctures. The Dromedary is more of a modern-day version of the goatskin waterbag, with a tough exterior for use almost anywhere. The Dromedary can be rigged to a saddle or tied to a cargo rack of a vehicle and survive fairly well. I've placed Dromedary bags in buried water caches without ill effect. Also, the stronger Dromedary can be obtained in larger sizes up to 10 liters. For desert use consider only the lighter colored bags if they're to be carried externally, or else use an insulating sleeve. If you use the drinking tube attachment, be sure and get a light-colored or reflective mylar insulating cover for the tube as well. The water in the sip tube heats up unbelievably fast in the desert sun.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/23/2004, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice DesertHkr. I don't have a special pocket for the bladder, it fits, when full, horizontally in the bottom of my pack. Or it could sit on some extra clothing or whatever, depending on how much gear I have in my pack at a given time. I will just have to make sure I don't put anything that could puncture it, right against it.
-Ed Abbey
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't have the Lite but do have 4 ltr and a 6 ltr cordura Dromedaries. Like HikerInGilbert I like the eyelets with the nylon ribbon running around the bag. That makes it easy to hang in any way or tie it down to the outside of a small pack. We also use ours for a quick shower every day when we are out on the trail backpacking. It is truly a luxurious necessity.

I'm sure the Lites are great. These are the best bladders I have ever used.
ghoster

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to agree the Dromedary bladders are the best for general use and are really durable. I use two of them the six liter and the ten liter, of course you don't have to fill them up if it isn't necessary. I would recommend a spare bite valve though, mine started leaking on the last trip and it was irritating. Other than that go with them they are the best.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has any one ever tried to change the bite valve with the camelback one? I like the on-off switch with the camelback (it's the only thing I really like about them).

Oh, this is an FYI on the durability of the dromlite, I have even sat on mine when it was about 3/4 full. Totally by mistake, but it felt comfortable, so I stayed there for a while. I don't think I would recommend using it as a stadium seat and I will not make a habit out of sitting on mine, but it didn't bust. Mary
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/24/2004, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I read a test somewhere where they filled a Dromedary bag with water, then ran over it with a truck. It popped the cap off. They screwed the cap back on, and it was as good as new (except for the tire tracks across it...).
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will the dromlite bag "sweat" if I put really cold water and ice in it then hike all day??
-Ed Abbey
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/25/2004, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've used mine as an ice pack one day, at home. It didn't sweat! I know some people will put a gallon ziplock bag around theirs, as like anything with a cap, if it's not on tight enough, it can leak. I don't generally do that, but it's a good idea. Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: