ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
July GHOTM July 10th Humphrey's Peak
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 8:10 pm    Post subject: July GHOTM July 10th Humphrey's Peak Reply to topic Reply with quote

More information to come, but I just wanted to get this out here before Tom started busting on me.

July's Group hike of the month will be Humphrey's peak. My initial thinking is to get up there Friday evening and hit the trail early Saturday morning. Maybe meet at the trailhead at 8am?

The trail is well used and easy to follow. To the peak it's about 4.5 miles and 3300 feet of elevation gain. The trail starts off in a heavily wooded ponderosa pine forest but slowly climbs out of the trees. The saddle, about 3 miles in, makes a good lunch/break spot and for some people this will also be a good turn around spot. From the saddle to the peak can be pretty grueling if you are not from Flagstaff and there are 3 or 4 false peaks that will disppoint you on the way, but on a clear day the peak is well worth the effort.
evenstar wrote:
I'm planning on taking the motorhome up early Friday July 9. Will probably camp at the same site we used last year.
Directions: take highway 180 out of Flagstaff as if you were driving to the Canyon. Three miles PAST the road into Snowbowl, on the right side of 180, is FR 151. It's a dirt road, but well graded and does not require high clearance. If I can get the campsite we used last year, it's three miles in on FR 151 and 1/4 mile before Hart Prairie. There are plenty of trees for hanging hammocks.
Plan on pot luck Saturday evening at the campsite.

Hike
AzBrad123
Mike???
Suzaz
Chifiggs
Tom
Paintninaz
DennisBench
Trish
Jaime
JW63
Davis2001
Krystyn
Hoolie
Randy
TMan911007
Me
GTG
DWH

Pot Luck
Randy – Grub
Trish - Marinated vegie salad BBQ chicken
Hoolie – Tri tip
GTG - Macaroni and cheese surprise
J-Me and Dave - ?
DWH - ?
AzBrad123- Apps
Tom - Noodle thing
PaintinAZ - coleslaw or potato salad

checking in Friday night we have:
Hooli (aka Cabana Bathroom Boy)---providing motorhome services to women in dire need and grilling tri-tip on Sat.
Dennis (aka Cabana Breakfast Boy)---bagels and cream cheese for the early morning Sat. hikers who haven't time for the breakfast burrito bar.
Trish--mashies
PaintnAZ---grilled corn on the cob & veggies, condiments for the burgers, tortillas
Tom---(aka Cabana Burger Boy) burgers and buns (and let's hope they're hamburger buns and not the kind we've all seen recently in the photo gallery)
Suz---chorizo, bacon, eggs, salsa
Jim
AzBrad123--'in town' but tentative for dinner
chihiggs + 1 or 2 friends

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl, you all thinking of camping up there, or getting a place to stay?
dennisbench

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am interested, I will stay tuned to this one as the time grows closer for more info and to see if I can make it. I would like to do this one again, it was pretty fun and challenging.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm off that weekend I do believe I am in! I am dying to do this one and I think going up the night before is a good idea considering the difficulties I had last time I tried to hike in the elevations!

I want to shine!
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 10:01 pm    Post subject: July 7th??? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I want to do Humphrey's, but I thought we were aiming for July 10th?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is the 10th. Unless Daryl lost his job due to misuse of work time and company equipment... quite possible...

Chuckle
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 11:08 pm    Post subject: GHOTM July 2004 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Camp out. Friday and Saturday nights. Big potluck on Saturday night is what I'd suggest. Where did we stay last June? Catvalet, Hooli?

GTG
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Camp out. Friday and Saturday nights. Big potluck on Saturday night is what I'd suggest. Where did we stay last June? Catvalet, Hooli?

About halfway down the page... http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 11:40 pm    Post subject: possible camping site Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
about three miles from 180 and there are numerous camping spots among the trees on either side of 151 as you drive toward Hart Prairie

Anyone up for camping in the pines?

GTG
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/15/2004, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm interested but may be working Friday Nights now so I would just have to catch up with everyone on Saturday morning. We'll see how it pans out.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/16/2004, 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We were about 1/4 mile from Hart Prarie, but I'll be in CA.

Be forewarned....GTG hogs all the oxygen and with all the folk that have hiked Humphrey's in the past month or so there can't be much left Amazed
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/16/2004, 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes it's the 10th!!! I must have been asleep while typing that up (while at home Tom!)... Can one of the supreme beings here please correct that?

I was planning on hoteling it Friday night. If there are enough people interested, I'd be in for a Saturday night post hike pot luck campout.

If someone more familier with Flagstaff and camping spots could arrange the camping part I'd appreciate it.
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/16/2004, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I just wanted to get this out here before Tom started busting on me

Nothing can prevent the inevitable. You'd have more success trying to fend off a psychotic badger than trying keep Tom from busting on you.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/21/2004, 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm planning on taking the motorhome up early Friday July 9. Will probably camp at the same site we used last year.
Directions: take highway 180 out of Flagstaff as if you were driving to the Canyon. Three miles PAST the road into Snowbowl, on the right side of 180, is FR 151. It's a dirt road, but well graded and does not require high clearance. If I can get the campsite we used last year, it's three miles in on FR 151 and 1/4 mile before Hart Prairie. There are plenty of trees for hanging hammocks.
Plan on pot luck Saturday evening at the campsite.
There will NOT be general acess to the motorhome. The only exceptions will be for those six months or more pregnant or those with babies. I have to get the motorhome back home, cleaned up, tanks flushed and into storage Monday 'cause I'm leaving in the Z4 for CA early Tuesday a.m.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/21/2004, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Or... you just let one of us take care of the Hoolimobile-home while you are away. I promise we will take great care of it.

Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: