ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Various Wanderings and Sundry Thoughts along the Trail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Various Wanderings and Sundry Thoughts along the Trail. Reply to topic Reply with quote

None of these images fit into a specific hike but I like them for what they are, visions you might see on any of the wanderings on which you may find yourself on out there, just a set of general ramblings and scattered thoughts.

I ask questions, questions like why is this rock way out here on this plane far away from the buffs and canyon walls. How did it become shaped like it is and has it ever been used for shelter by another being passing through. Over the millions of years, how do these things find a place? What was it like here ten thousand years ago or 200 million years ago? What will happen in the next millenniums?

It is often shocking to the senses just what can be around the next bend, over next ridge or deep behind the next canyon wall. Never have I wandered around in the desert without being surprised or in awe of how things work and how they can lie patiently hidden. No matter how plain the landscape seems there is without fail something of utter importance waiting.

Who was here before us? How did they live and what did they believe? I am always stopped in my tracks by such records whether they be fossils or petrophlyphs. I viewed a couple of series of petroglyphs deep in the Escalante canyon system. At one site they soared far above the present day bench. The high up art looked much older and with a different style than the lower “newer” art that must still have been a thousand years old. The older images which were too high to photograph well were of sheep like these are but with fatter bodies, smaller heads and smaller horns. They were very faded and dim. This must have been the magic food supply for these ancient ones. There were other depictions of lizards, snakes and possibly rain. I long for a huge tablet that would tell of how they lived, played and survived in such a vast wilderness but must be content to try and reach them in thought.

There are newer dwellings obviously built by skilled hands, set in place with good notched axe work, buildings that have lasted a good long time. I carefully inspected the vigilant craftsmanship in this little log house. It had a good wooden floor and a nice little room arrangement. Who built it? Where did they come from and what did they intend to achieve? These were no blunderers or passers by. They had a purpose that would take a good long time.

In the end I believe more answers come at sunset and on into the starry night where the meaning of shape and volume are measured in the colors and patterns of the atmosphere and distances are finally measured not in miles but billions of light years. We can only know what we are able to discover in ourselves and wandering the deserts or any wilderness for that matter is the way I have found, a way that brings some sense of being, a way that pulls perspective into this enigmatic vast place we call the universe.

desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beautiful as always ...Thanks for sharing!
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beautiful Glen....again, the words that touch the soul and the pictures so pleasing to the eye. Mary
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks again, Glen! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All I can say is, AMEN. Very well said and awesome photo's as usual.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And the photographer's hike is when?
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Every experience that you speak of is truly a gift. Because you respect and admire the earth, you will always be a recipient of these gifts. Sharing these pics and your insight can make someone elses day special. Thank you for that.
SJ
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/1/2004, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As always Glenn-incredible!

I want to shine!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glenn - another outstanding addition to the ovure.

We need to add a tag-line to Glenn's avatar: Artist in Residence

Make it so Mike....

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/2/2004, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you like the photo-essays!. Thanks so much for your replies. As long as you like them, I will share them and look forward to what you are doing as well.

We first moved to the desert when I was 9 years old. We only stayed for three years but I immediately felt the power out there, never forgot it and came back to live my life in it after college. There are many facinating places and I do like to travel but I'll always come back.

We did some exploration down in the woodland forests and grasslands of the Harshaw and Lochiel areas this last weekend. We really have a bit of everything so close. I spent part of my youth in the Grasslands far north of here so it is always an interesting journey when I go into them anywhere.

I was working on more photos from the southern Utah trip last night. I captured about 200 of them and the very cool thing about digital is you are able to check your exposure in the field so there are very few throwaways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: