ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
DANGER section
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
chihiggs

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am not tyring to be a thorn in the side but aren't there forums for just such discussions?? Rhetorical question I know, of course there are; and I can see why you might want to talk politics here, because you feel this site is a little more civil and restrained when need be. However my question remains, aren't there forums for that type of discussion (typing)?

We are on a hiking forum and the bandwidth (waaaaay out of my league here) or space needed all comes at a price. Do we have the proper funding for the extra what ever we might need to change this from a hiking forum to a forum that includes hiking and what ever else?

Again, not trying to be difficult but I for one am not mature enough to debate (almost always becomes an arguement) without getting upset; which is why I drastically cut my visits to the forum on HAZ. Not my visits to the site because the info is top notch but many people, myself included can take the things written rather personally. Example: Once we debated the decision about closing national forests for fire risk (on HAZ), I am adamantly against this and received a couple of posts for that view (from a couple of people whom moderate on this site) that seemed rather personal and have affected my opinion of those involved.

I guess the other side of the coin is: Aren't there forums for political discussion already? When I would like to discuss politics, I find it fun to discuss them with people whom live in other countries and are not exposed to the extent that we are, to our media; hence they generally have a different view which can sometimes help me see things from a different perspective. Heck that may even influence or change my opinion but I seek that out at places like the Lonely Planet website set-up for travelers which has a rather active politicval section...Politica are usually important to travelers visiting other countries.

Take this for what it is; just a WORD of caution.
samiam

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crazy
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs wrote:

I for one am not mature enough to debate (almost always becomes an arguement) without getting upset.

Think that's the biggest part of putting a politcal forum here.....debate turns into argument....argument turns into personal attacks and even though some may not read the "Political" topics, the personal feeling may carry over to other forums and topics. next thing you know we have cat fights in hiking topics. Crying or Very sad
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Higgs. I think there are plenty of other political discussion forums out there so that the topic doesn't need to be brought to the hiking site. However, when has this site ever stuck to "topic" and focused strictly on hiking?? Wink

I also agree with Colin. I don't have to read it, and generally I just skip over any topics that have politics in the theme (this one didn't "specifiy" in the title Rolling Eyes )......AND btw, it drives me crazy to have that little new post "flag" stay red just b/c I don't look at it!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
AND btw, it drives me crazy to have that little new post "flag" stay red just b/c I don't look at it!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Just scroll down to the bottom and click on "Mark all forums read" after you've read all the other stuff.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

AND btw, it drives me crazy to have that little new post "flag" stay red just b/c I don't look at it!!!!!

Just scroll down to the bottom and click on "Mark all forums read" after you've read all the other stuff. Wink
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Quote:

AND btw, it drives me crazy to have that little new post "flag" stay red just b/c I don't look at it!!!!!

Just scroll down to the bottom and click on "Mark all forums read" after you've read all the other stuff. Wink

WOW! Thanks. Very Happy

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli, you trouble-maker...

Shades
paintninaz

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
She'll still be crazy Crazy

I suppose so.....unless I get a new set of friends! Wink

evenstar

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Hooli, you trouble-maker...

Shades

Who, ME Rolling Eyes
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think what Daddee is lookin for here isnot just to talk politics and other sticky subjects but to talk them with those he knows and likes from this board. Yes he could go any where to do that but not with this set of people.

I don't see any harm in doing as he says and marking a catagorie "danger, enter at your own risk" and letting those who want to talk trash about politics and other stuff talk it. Any one who enters must agree that they are to leave that talk there where it started.

Just my opinion.

I want to shine!

PostPosted: 5/22/2004, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I understand the opposing thoughts on this but I think Diane has a good idea on how to go about it. I like listening to others opinions. Even if I don't agree. It puts things in a different perspective and may possibly enlighten someone (me) to something never thought of before. Then of course there is the issue of taking up space, and this is an outdoor website and ..... guess the powers that be will make the final decisions,
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/22/2004, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It doesn't matter to me either way, I tend to stay out of political discussions, especially when they get heated. The fact that we're a hiking website has never prevented us from discussing topics unrelated to hiking and we have an area specifically for those kinds of topics. My only request would be that we remain civil and respectful of each other.

As far as space being an issue, the posts are stored in a database, and take up very little room. New pages don't get generated when you make a post or add a topic. The site uses php to fetch ("retrieve" for you yankees, "git" for GTG, "abduct" for Hunter Alien Blink ) the information from the database and display it inside templates. Any time you read a topic, you're looking at the same page, "viewtopic.php". Only the information displayed is different. The only area where space is an issue is the photo gallery and GTG has assured us that's not a concern.

Should we create a poll and let everyone vote on whether to add a forum specifically for discussing political topics?
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/22/2004, 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes to the poll.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/22/2004, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I too don't see a problem discussing politics but I am also very laid back and don't get offended very easily. I find it very interesting to see other peoples points of views and feelings on different subjects even if I don't agree with them. I've even learned a few things through these types of discussions. I would hate to see a discussion turn bad though and have anyone on this site be mad at each other.
-TIM-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: