ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
DANGER section
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 9:25 am    Post subject: DANGER section Reply to topic Reply with quote

How about a specific forum for political postings.

It seems that some of us (myself included) just can't seem to resist posting about potentially hot topics. Perhaps if we put them in a seperate forum (marked in red with radioactive and biohazard warning labels) we could get away with the occasional post or two.

Maybe make it similar to the gallery where you have to have permission to post there and if you get too snarky or mean you could have the permissions revoked?

Probably a bad idea...but I thought I'd mention it.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I enjoy a good healthy, friendly, political debate, but they rarely stay healthy and friendly on the internet. I think putting a forum for that on this site might not be a good idea. I don't want to look at anyone here and see Liberal or Conservative. I'd rather label people here an alien, or backpacker, goat boy...
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Like I said - it's probably a bad idea overall.

I was suggesting it mostly for theraputic reasons. I have to try SOOOOO hard not to post on some threads. Just in the last week I've written 4 different posts that were lengthy (even by my standards) - but then I caught myself and thought "No, it's not going to be a good thing and you'll just create more controversy." But I had to find some way of finding an outlet.

I finally sent a short PM to Randy to maintain my sanity one day.

I channel a lot of my thoughts into my blog, but sometimes it is really hard not to post on certain topics. I'm betting that there are a lot of people who have the same reaction I do.

But you're right - even a special reserved area on this forum would probably still be a little too much.

[sigh]

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Daryl, let's stick to what the purpose is of this post. It's bad enough having to read the "Republic" daily with it's slant. Crazy

GB
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Amen,

Although I have to bite my tongue (fingers here) sometimes, I think it is healthier to avoid politics here (because most of you have it all wrong Twisted Evil )

Just kidding with that last line. If you want a good mix of politics and hiking, check out "thebackpacker.com" trail talk.
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:

Didn't work Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Daddee wrote:

Didn't work Rolling Eyes
You can't maintain something you don't have...
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
You can't maintain something you don't have...

True. Very true.

Let's try it again, this time without using the words: sanity, mind, brain, reason, intellect, common sense, or intelligence - all of which are in short supply or non-existent in my case.

How about: "I finally sent a short PM to Randy to prevent a complete meltdown."

- Abraham Lincoln
samiam

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Silly Bang Rolling Bouncing yoyo politics Crazy ,what does ervryone talk about on the trail?? Confused
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Generally, I talk about other hikes and adventures. I seriously avoid talking politics unless I absolutley, no questions asked, no room for doubt, know that the person I am talking with can carry on a reasonable and rational discussion.

I like to discuss politics - not argue, yell or beat others up over politics.

Which is why it's so dangerous to do that on an internet based forum. We've hashed it over several times before, but this forum is great for organizing hikes and discussing gear and what-have-you, but the minute you get an emotionally or opinionally (is that a word? - it should be...) charged topic things spiral out of control pretty quickly.

We've been lucky here at AZH because generally this group shows significant restraint and tolerance. We've been able to work out our differences many times (I should know - I'm usually the one causing the problem Embarassed ), and we'll probably have to do so again. And that's half the fun of this group.

But I still would really like to cut loose now and then. Twisted Evil

In a nice way. angel

- Abraham Lincoln
ck1

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gotta tell ya, I see no reason not to allow political discussion, especially in it's own forum, thus...IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT, YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

OK, sorry for yelling, I just get annoyed when people say they HAVE to read something...

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Gotta tell ya, I see no reason not to allow political discussion, especially in it's own forum, thus...IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT, YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

OK, sorry for yelling, I just get annoyed when people say they HAVE to read something...
Well said!
samiam

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey guys,i do belive that daddee has it right,to discuss politics without a argument is absolutly the way to go,ohhh how hard that is Laughing But i know a ocasional political view or opinion is a great way to see america without the slant of the media..I cant wait personally to talk about hikes and stuff seen on the trail.Ive seen some great photoes and stuff on this site..some do a great job of getting stuff out there to show the partimers like myself..If only i could retire right now while i still have a little youth in me to make the hard trek..I look forward to going on a group hike with you all Multi
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We try to avoid politics on the trail; even Daddee and I; cause wilderness is one place where we can go to escape the turmoils of the outside world. The differences we have in the outside world vanish because out there we don't have so much to disagree on. Someone once said that there are no atheists in foxholes. There are no liberals or conservatives, no left and right out there. In fact, when trouble does arise, like storms or injuries or route confusion (None of US are EVER Lost...but some of us have been a mite confused about the route for several days) or danger from wild critters (like howling Hoolis or flying snakes) we all stick together for mutual aid and survival--and the keys to the vehicle with the beer cooler. -R
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LOL. Well said Randy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: