ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
For all you gamer's out there...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 1:26 pm    Post subject: For all you gamer's out there... Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you have ever played Unreal Tournament (or Quake or Halo in capture the flag mode) - here is a review you'll appreciate:
Quote:
I know I shouldn’t wonder about these things; I should accept them as necessary to the story line. But I have to wonder what sort of society invents a game like Unreal Tournament 04. I don’t mean the computer game; I mean the game the game is about. If you know what I mean.

Start again.

Okay, so I’m a citizen in the distant future. I have volunteered to play this game, which consists of running around huge environments, picking up weapons, and suffering the sort of painful explosive death that could only happen if A) you ate ten Serrano peppers, washed them down with nitro and stuck an RPG up your fundament, or B) had your torso removed at close range with a rocket launcher while you were attempting to take a flag – a stupid FLAG – back to your base. In the game, you die often. But seconds later you respawn, and you’re back in the action.

Now. I ask you. If this takes place in a society where you can be atomized by a ray gun and promptly rematerialize with all your clothes and memories, then I can see why people might volunteer to participate in this hideous carnage. But if people do not respawn, no one in their right mind would play the game. Imagine the orientation session:

Okay, you go in the giant abandoned factory and look for the flag, then bring it out here. Be careful that no one in the rafters six floors up rains rockets down on you, or you’ll be dead.

Then what?

What do you mean, what? You’re dead. End of story.

But –

This is the Unreal Tournament. Didn’t they explain that part?

(SOMEWERE IN THE FACTORY, A VOICE SAYS: HEAD SHOT.)

What the helll was that?

The frozen head of Harry Caray. With some upgrapdes. He does color. Mostly red, as it turns out. Anyway, didn’t anyone explain this?

Uh - no? There wasn’t anyone around when I showed up. In fact this whole thing seems very understaffed.

Yeah, well, everyone is pretty much dead; it’s been that kind of day. Now take this insufficient weapon and get in there.

I don’t want to!

Go, or you’ll forfeit the match and have to pay 512 credits.

Fine! Fine! Here’s your money. I’m outta here.

Wait, you forgot your change. You gave me 520 credits –

Keep it. I’ll take it out of your pockets after you’ve been exploderated.

That's not a word. I think you mean AAAAUUUUGGHHHH (Orientation advisor rides the lightning gun and gets vaporized)

At one point tonight I walked away from a Capture the Flag came and went outside for a cigar. I could hear the combatants through the upstairs window; it went on and on and on, past the 15 minute deadline, with no success. I find this fascinating, just as with Quake Arena and Halo – these programs, these constructs, these flickering emanations of computer code running around on my screen, randomly generated, randomly interacting; whatever happened in my computer tonight has probably never happened before. And most of it didn’t happen on the screen at all; it took place in imaginary rooms in a building over the hill out of sight. Code warring with code for no purpose whatsoever. Hella cool!

From my favorite writer: James Lileks.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love Unreal Tournament and Halo in any mode. haven't really played them so since I left Korea. Maybe we need a AZH Halo Tournament Smile Laughing Idea
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now that would be fun.

I haven't played many online games for a LONG time. I sort of gave up after I consistently got my fanny kicked in Quake II tournament play. Good times though - lots of fun.

I just don't take it seriously enough to put in the practice time necessary to become good. I do well initially when a game is new, but then once all the serious gamers start getting good, I just don't have the drive to keep up.

But I do love playing a good FPS game once in a while. I'll pick one up and play through it once a year or so. I'm more of a fan of the RTS genre though. I recently worked my way through WC3 and it was great fun. I'm probably way too far behind the curve to enjoy playing online though. I'd get waxed pretty quickly.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't play them on-line just on my x-box or ps2
cakewalk

PostPosted: 6/3/2004, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Halo was a great game... I prefer the single player missions.

This was the first game I can remember NOT having cheat codes, I actually had to fight my way way thru each level. ( PC Version )
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/3/2004, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
This was the first game I can remember NOT having cheat codes

Seriously? No cheat codes? What kind of developer doesn't incorporate cheat codes? That's just wrong.

Actually, the irony of that last sentance just struck me.

Gaming - where ethics doesn't just get ignored, it gets fragged.

- Abraham Lincoln
cakewalk

PostPosted: 6/3/2004, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I tend to have a short attention span and if I cant get past a certian point, I go into God Mode so I can at least see the rest of the game... Oherwise I loose interest and move on.

Halo however, didnt have that option. One must admit, the graphics in that game were pretty incredible.
plummer150

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 6:45 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I love Unreal Tournament and Halo in any mode.

Same, I like playing with 4 TVs myself and having a 16 player game going. Thats intense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: