ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Charity suggestions post one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 1:46 pm    Post subject: Charity suggestions post one Reply to topic Reply with quote

After reading the posts on the Announcements board and the suggestions that we look into supporting some type of charity I though it would be nice to collect some of the ideas that some of you have posted about in one place.

I'd like to request that we limit this particular topic to suggestions and information about various charities that the members of this forum know about or feel strongly about. Please feel free to include any ideas on other ways that we could use any excess funds we might generate.

My thinking is to first collect a bunch of ideas under this topic, sort and categorize them and then have further discussions on them once we have a bunch. Who knows, we may even generate enough funds to contribute significantly to a number of causes/charities. But I think that if we can have a clear idea of what it is we are going to support, the effort can begin and we'll see what happens from there.

If this topic is deemed inappropriate - that's fine, I won't be offended in any way - this is just a way of keeping things organized. We've got great momentum now and I'd hate to see it get lost.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll throw out the first suggestion - it's not local, but it's a darned fine one:

If you want to help out a family for a lifetime, check out this charity: The Heifer Project.

For a surprisingly little amount of money you can buy an animal (and training on how to care for and raise the animals) for families in 3rd world nations - and not just cows, but chickens, ducks, pigs, goats (hint, hint Very Happy ) and other animals that could help a desperately poor family live a richer, more healthy life by providing food, milk, or labor assistance.

This is a charity I heard about a while ago and it still seems like one of the most unique. I've lived in a 3rd world country before, and I can assure you, a gift of a cow or a goat to some of these people would increase thier standard of living by an unmeasureable amount.

With this charity it's not a one time hand out - this is a potentially life-changing gift for some of these families. Also, if you read the literature about it, it's the gift that keeps giving. Recipient families pledge to give the first offspring of their animals to other needy familiies and so on.

Sorry - but this charity is just exciting for me since I've seen the effects that it can have first hand.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Leva

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On the Heifer Project, I'd like to see some independent confirmation of the outcome of giving people livestock. I've been suspicious of this chairty -- it;s just too simplistic of a presentation. And I can tell you flat out, there's more to keeping animals than just saying, "here you go," and giving someone some stock. I raise and breed chickens and keep goats, that's coming from the vantage point of someone who's been there, done that, given people animals to be raised for meat because I knew they were hungry and rooster chicks are cheap to raise if you're doing it on table scraps, heard the horror stories later.

Why not start an AZHikers charity? Focus it on things that are important to the club -- cleaning up and improving trails, or introducing new people to hiking. Or what about a charity that introduces "underpriviledged" kids to hiking and camping, takes 'em out and show them places they've never dreamt of?

Leva

Leva
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Leva wrote:

Why not start an AZHikers charity? Focus it on things that are important to the club -- cleaning up and improving trails, or introducing new people to hiking. Or what about a charity that introduces "underpriviledged" kids to hiking and camping, takes 'em out and show them places they've never dreamt of? Leva

Well said Leva... it is directly related to our community and we will be able to control the donations directly as well as being able to experience helping others in person. Very Happy
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suggestions:

Doctors Without Borders
Smile Train
The churches in Tucson that put water stations in the desert
Ronald McDonald House
AZOutdoors

I see the fatalities from the heat and think what a horrible way to die, all for a few quarts of water.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
And I can tell you flat out, there's more to keeping animals than just saying, "here you go," and giving someone some stock.

True, which is why they also provide training for the livestock owners.

Quote:
it is directly related to our community and we will be able to control the donations directly as well as being able to experience helping others in person.

It is something that is definitely worth thinking about. We're a local group, so we should probably focus locally.
Quote:
Or what about a charity that introduces "underpriviledged" kids to hiking and camping, takes 'em out and show them places they've never dreamt of?

City of Mesa does this with some of their programs for underprivaleged children. I have a buddy who works for City of Mesa Parks and Recreation and he takes kids out on the trail that have never hiked before all the time. I'm sure that they would welcome any support via manpower, money or equipment.

It's a valid point you make - do we want to contribute to a charity or other organization with a built in infrastructure, or do we want to really contribute our time and effort and organize our own program?

So many options....

- Abraham Lincoln
Lizard

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Leva wrote:
Or what about a charity that introduces "underpriviledged" kids to hiking and camping, takes 'em out and show them places they've never dreamt of?

Big City Mountaineers sounds like it might be right up your alley. Maybe we could consider these guys as one of the charities to donate to:

http://www.bigcitymountaineers.org

Also, what about donating money or time to the Arizona Trail Association:

http://www.aztrail.org
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Make a wish foundation.

But I really like the idea of creating our own also.

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I work with a group that does outdoor adventures with teens and young adults that are physically and emotionally challenged. Maybe some of the good folks here would be willing to pass on their experience in an area such as this.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
City of Mesa does this with some of their programs for underprivaleged children. I have a buddy who works for City of Mesa Parks and Recreation and he takes kids out on the trail that have never hiked before all the time.

I also work for the City of Mesa, so I may also be able to assist in any information needed.
AZBrad123

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just a thought. What about donating all the extra backpacking gear, camping gear etc., that i am sure we all have to the City of Mesa department that takes kids hiking ?

Or i bet there are some economically strapped boyscout crews that could use the gear, and the support of a bunch of people that are very enthusiastic about the outdoors?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Questions & Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: