ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
buying maps vs software
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, for now, i guess i'm still buying individual maps. sometimes i print a map that's not a topo off the net with a description of trail and go with that, but i've never hiked Mt Wrightson and thought i'd better play it safe than be sorry and went to REI PV and got a map made. $8 and it's pretty nice. H20 proof paper and it zoomed in on the area i wanted-shadows of mtn and all. i do prefer the larger maps, though, like the one i have of the supes. it covers more area. it's a hassle to unfold sometimes, but not too much.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
well, for now, i guess i'm still buying individual maps. sometimes i print a map that's not a topo off the net with a description of trail and go with that, but i've never hiked Mt Wrightson and thought i'd better play it safe than be sorry and went to REI PV and got a map made. $8 and it's pretty nice. H20 proof paper and it zoomed in on the area i wanted-shadows of mtn and all. i do prefer the larger maps, though, like the one i have of the supes. it covers more area. it's a hassle to unfold sometimes, but not too much.

When are you doing Wrightson? Not sure if all the TH construction is complete if hiking popular old baldy or super trails. I hear the lower portion of the Super Trail is in much better shape but I wouldn't try the Super Trail between Josephine & Baldy Saddle as you'll fry. (I got fried there once)

This section of trail is famous for being one of the only trails in the USA to be snow-free year round at over 8,000ft elevation. It was very overgrown with desert bushes blocking the trail last year too compared to the rainforest like sections on the Old Baldy trail.

Let us know how it goes.

From Wildernet...
The Super Trail stays within the same drainage as its steeper cousin in the lower loop of the "8", Old Baldy, but follows a more south-facing slope through a high desert environment in the upper loop. Above the midpoint of the "8", at Josephine Saddle, the Super Trail loops around the south side of the mountain through even more arid country, while Old Baldy switchbacks through thickets of New Mexico locust on a west-facing slope at Baldy Saddle. The last mile to the summit of Mt. Wrightson via the Crest Trail is the same no matter which trail you've followed to the saddle.
Kim

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=677
this is the trail i was going to go on. i wanted to pick the hardest hike on Wrightson, as we're preparing for Mt Whitney. We're backpacking Sun-Mon. i was wondering about heat, but i've heard this is the time to go and it'd be too cold for my taste in the winter to camp out.

so, if TH construction isn't complete, can i still get through there and have a good hike after the TH?
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 5/28/2004, 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=677
this is the trail i was going to go on. i wanted to pick the hardest hike on Wrightson, as we're preparing for Mt Whitney. We're backpacking Sun-Mon. i was wondering about heat, but i've heard this is the time to go and it'd be too cold for my taste in the winter to camp out.

so, if TH construction isn't complete, can i still get through there and have a good hike after the TH?
Kim, see my Pmail. Check-out Florida Canyon.
plummer150

PostPosted: 7/16/2004, 6:15 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a big fan myself of buying the topo maps vs. the software. That way I can look at it anytime and into pretty good detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: