ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
buying maps vs software
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 10:53 pm    Post subject: buying maps vs software Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do most folks buy maps for each area they hike in, use software, or wing it? REI is having their sale starting the 21st and on my list of things I need to get are maps to hike Wrightson, Humphrey, Whitney, and whatever other hikes I'll be doing. From what I remember my Supe map was about $9, so here's gonna be another $27. Isn't that almost 1/2 of one of the softwares and do the softwares cover all sorts of areas like those that I've mentioned.

I'm thinking that Humphrey and Whitney are so popular I could get by without a map, but I don't know if it's such a good idea to not get them. Also, the maps you buy at REI are on good paper and are good sized. Any ideas and personal preferences would be appreciated. Very Happy
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I have a Garmin GPS and the mapsource software to go with it so that is what I usually bring on all my hikes. I have never bought any maps though either. If I'm going to someplace new I usually am with someone who is familiar with the area. You can't depend on electronics all the time as they can break. On the RIM-RIM-RIM I broke off the spring while changing batteries. I didn't need it to find my way but would have been S.O.L. if I did need it. I like the GPS also because I like to know how far I've gone, what I have left and what type of pace I'm at also. If I was going to any remote areas especially by myself I would like to have a topo map though.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I prefer software, that way I can be area specific and just print of the vicinity I will be hiking in.
I also just bought a new GPS that came with TOPO software of the entire US, so I can also download into my GPS unit now and it is totally awesome.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the software and have all of the Four Corner states so far. I print out what I need at different scales.

I like the special edition National Geo maps though and buy them to include in my pack if I'm going to a place that is covered. For instance the Canyons of the Escalante, Grand Staircase is what I carried with my more detailed maps on our last outing. I'm a map junkie and would buy almost anything if I didn't have it printed. The Grand Canyon is another good map in that series. I bet they have Whitney as well. Take the map, you never know when or why you will need it if not just for planning puposes.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would love a large format color plotter. Scotch taping those small maps from my software together is a pain. I do have an Oce scanner copier at work so I can copy maps up to 36" wide. Unfortunately it is black and white.
bzachar

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to buy topo quads and have them laminated. That got expensive and bulky... tough to store and carry.

I bought National Geographic's TOPO a few years ago and would never go back. It allows you to select maps from 5 different scales (down to 1:24K quads) and scale it to fit the paper you're using. I point-and-click to create my own waypoints and connect them together to form a route which I download into my GPSR. I print the map with route/waypoints on plain-vanilla 8.5x11 ink jet paper and carry it in a clear plastic sheet protector. After I get home I just throw the map away.

I've got access to a wide-carriage printer so I sometimes print my maps on 11x17 paper.

NG TOPO is about $100 depending on where you buy it. IIRC a laminated quad is about $8.00. If you do the math you start saving money after NOT buying 12.5 quads.

Bill
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use TOPO software, but I really like the beartooth wilderness maps. The software gives you the ability to be very area specific as well as the ability to see an area in several different scales. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to get all the areas I have (or will have) hiked in in all those different scales. But the beartooth maps are really comprehensive and have all that neat sidebar information to read when you're taking a break.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where do you find the various topo softwares? WW of Maps or at Fry's Electronics or someother place? Do the sporting goods stores carry them?
bzachar

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs wrote:
Where do you find the various topo softwares? WW of Maps or at Fry's Electronics or someother place? Do the sporting goods stores carry them?

You can find them online at

http://www.gpsnow.com/topomaps.htm
http://www.gpsnow.com/maptable.htm

WW of Maps has them but some of the store personnel don't know how to use them. If you go to the Mesa store look for guy in his 20s. He's the only one that knows how operate them.
Bill
Kim

PostPosted: 5/18/2004, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bill, one of the cool things on this website was this map book that I cut and pasted. I'm not sure what a Gazetteer is or if it has all Topo maps of AZ, but if it does and if photocopies of the book would work to bring on hikes, this might be a good cheaper way to do it. thx for the info! Has anyone seen this book? Here it is:

DeLORME
ARIZONA
Atlas & Gazetteer

Topographic Maps · Back Roads · Guide to Outdoor Recreation

Whatever your backcountry pleasure—hiking, fishing, rockhounding, wildlife viewing or just taking in nature's splendor—you'll enhance your enjoyment with the Arizona Atlas & Gazetteer! This beautiful collection of topographic maps includes a special section on the Grand Canyon and a unique public lands locator map. In addition, the individual map pages are color-coded to clearly show Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and state lands. There are 16 Gazetteer categories, including hunting, boat launch sites, state and national lands, Indian lands, scenic drives and unique natural features, to name just a few. The scale is 1:250,000 or 1" to 4 miles. A mosaic of all the maps would measure 7+ feet wide by 8˝ feet high.

Scale:
1:250,000 (1"=4 miles)

Contour Interval:
200 feet

GPS Grids

Miscellaneous:
BLM
State lands color coded
special Grand Canyon map

Note: This map sample has been optimized for fast download speed. The actual printed maps contain higher resolution and more detail.

More about the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer Series

$19.95
GPS NOW Price $17.95
plus shipping

ORDER NOW

7 day a week x 24 hour a day
Fast & Secure On-Line Ordering

In Stock Now? Yes!
ON-LINE Orders placed by 5 p.m. Central Ship the SAME DAY *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

dictionary.com wrote:
Gazeeter - A geographical dictionary; a book giving the names and descriptions, etc., of many places.

chihiggs

PostPosted: 5/19/2004, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bzachar--

Thank you!!
bzachar

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
Has anyone seen this book? Here it is:

DeLORME
ARIZONA
Atlas & Gazetteer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kim,
I've got the book but with the 1:250K scale the topos aren't very good for hiking. I use the book for 4 wheeling. You can find it at any Costco.
Bill
Kim

PostPosted: 5/21/2004, 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bzachar, thanks a lot. very good to know. I won't even bother looking into it and will consider continuing to use maps or software. thanks, again!
lexa

PostPosted: 5/25/2004, 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OCAD - best map editor for orienteering
freeware of course Razz

1. U can produced maps of any scale
2. import of GPS data is possible
3. import of anchient maps as template supported
4. easy print preparation

As i know one map will be coast 0.25$ if U like to printed in printing-house
But if U like to produced only several copies then standard printer helps U
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: