ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Re: German dayhike turned into a castle find!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/10/2004, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: German dayhike turned into a castle find!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Pete,

Cool pics. That must have been a neat thing to wander around. That German countryside looks awesome.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/10/2004, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah Pete that did look pretty cool. Now thats a day hike with some exploring to do! I'm glad your able to break free once in a while.
bzachar

PostPosted: 5/10/2004, 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete,
You're not too far from Heidelberg. When you've got a day, take the train there and see the Fortress (AKA castle).

If you've got a weekend, get down to Bavaria and check out Hohenschwangau and the Mother of all Castles, Neuschwanstein.

Bill
SUN_HIKER

PostPosted: 5/11/2004, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heidelberg is one of my favorite cities (of course I’m prejudice being that it’s my place of birth).
One of the most fascinating cities in Germany is the City of Trier. Founded by the Romans around 16 BC and originally called AUGUSTA TREVERORUM, later Trier. It was founded under Emperor Augustus near a tribal sanctuary of the Celtic Treveri. Towards the end of the 3rd century AD, Emperor Diocletian made the city, now called “Treveri,” a Roman Imperial residence and capital of the Western Roman Empire. At about the same time, a center of Early Christianity developed here. Conquered by the Germanic Franks in the 5th century, Trier became a part of the Eastern Frankish-Germanic Kingdom at the Carolingian partition in 870. When the Roman’s faced the threat of a Germanic invasion, they built a city wall around A.D. 180, 6.4 kilometers (4 miles) long, which ultimately had five gates. The remains of the gates at the Amphitheater and the Roman Bridge can still be seen and the Porta Nigra is almost perfectly preserved.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/80866585/80868693uoiqFi

OK, enough of the history lesson but I always get blown away when delving into the European history. The way to Trier is along the river Mosel that also has some of the best Vineyards.
Have fun!
Gabriele
without your permission.
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: