ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Buckskin Gulch, Paria, and Coyote Buttes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 5:07 pm    Post subject: Buckskin Gulch, Paria, and Coyote Buttes Reply to topic Reply with quote

I posted some pics that I took around 1999 to 01 of this area so ya'll can get a look at the terrain some of you will be covering in Oct. I didn't post the Wave because I thinks its overexposed in coffee table books. Besides you really need to see it to experience the scale and symmetry.

I apologize re some of the flash flood pic quality is poor, I think my film camera got a bit wet during the hike and I ended up dunking this camera in the Dirty Devil River. The extended camera warranty is worth it!!!
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cool pics Letty. Thanks. I'll bet that was crazy when the flood hit. Did you know there was a threat of flood?

Those walls make me dizzy just from pictures. I can only imagine what they'll look like in person. Crazy
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics RedRoxx44, you are indeed an awesome hiker, I'm of the impression you do a lot of this solo. It would be a pleasure to hike with you sometime, you do great hikes.
Were you in the wash when the water came through, if so did you have any warning such as a small stream as a precursor as to what was coming, or did it come at you in a wall?
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great pics! Thanks!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 5/9/2004, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I rather arrogantly assumed I couldn't be caught in a flood. The rain chance that day was 20%, long range was calling for clear. It actually started raining as I descended the rock fall; and rained hard enough that waterfalls were running off the walls near the confluence. Then it was clear going upcanyon with dark skys behind me. Most of Buckskin of course you cannot see the sky unless you go up at Middle Route.

The water came down as a classic small wave- it sounded like an airplane passing overhead so I did not think about the noise until I heard a rock roll over in front of me out of sight. I ran back 10 feet and got up a natural ramp. I was very lucky.
The climb out was tough because it was undercut at the rim and I'm afraid of heights.

Yes I was solo as usual, then ended up hitchhiking in like 100 degree heat off House Rock Valley road, got picked up by a couple from Marsailles, France- going of course to the Wave. I had to have a couple of beers when I got to Kanab to settle down after that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: