ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Breakfast Foods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outdrwmn

PostPosted: 5/25/2005, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Breakfast stuffs.. Reply to topic Reply with quote

In little ziplocks before the trip I pack some of my favorite cereal, some nuts and powdered milk. Just add water to the bag- shake it- and it's good to go. It's not the gourmet breakfast- but it works.

..and then the coffee, of course!
Vashti

PostPosted: 5/25/2005, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!! Smile

I hadn't thought of the precooked bacon; I got a pack to try this weekend. Think I'll give the mango granola (sounds yummy!) and tortilla and spread a go, too!

Very Happy Woo HOO for change. No more instant oatmeal for a while, yippee!

As for the caffeine (very much necessary for me!!!! Laughing ), I am a big fan of Trader Joe's instant chai. MMMMmmmm ... caffeine and magnificent flavor!

Very Happy
-Vashti! Very Happy

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
dreams_are_work

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: traveling honey Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
mike t wrote:
Containing the PB and honey is kind of a pain but can be worked out.

Idea Churchs Chicken has little packets of honey, just like the little ketchup packets you can get at all the other fast food places! Haven't found any packets of PB yet Rolling Eyes

Skippy makes PB packets. They are shaped like a gogurt. I think the box is kind of bluish green, in the PB isle.

I like to make my own granola with rolled oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, a little powdered milk or protien powder. I mix it all together then add honey mixed with a little PB. It's a little sticky so you may want a spoon, but I just eat it with my fingers and then lick 'em off! You can add all kinds of stuff into it, or leave out the PB. I pack individual servings into the brown wax bags from whole foods and then stuff them all into a ziplock. I have another receipe for a good bar, but can't find it right now.

Love is worth everything and can not be exchanged for anything.

Sarah
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I never never never eat a cold breakfast! Even if I had to eat a cold breakfast, it would be something with milk on it like granola. I do not like dry food at all, especially not dry bread (how you guys can choke that stuff down is beyond me) and I don't like cold breakfast or cold dinner! I sometimes have pkg oatmeal (plain), put hot water in like directions say. But most often I put granola in a ziploc bag at home, then add some powdered milk to it. In camp I put a little of this mixture in a bowl and then put hot water in and presto, I have hot granola with milk in it! It tastes a lot better than that pkg. oatmeal. I have eaten a lot of the flavored pkg oatmeal, but every year they make it sweeter, and now it is just too icky sweet. Sometimes I take one flavored and one plain oatmeal and mix them together, that way I get the flavor with out it being so sweet.

And I always drink coffee. I bring a funnel and filters and my favorite coffee, which is Don Francisco's Vanilla Nut. I put the filter in the funnel, put the coffee inside that, balance the funnel in a cup and pour boiling water thru. I use powdered creamer with it. I can't drink coffee black, upsets me tummy. I am going to try that Javette, though, one of these days.

Sometimes I bring an apple to eat as well, but only on short trips.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't like instant oatmeal. Guess what this Georgia Boy eats? Yep! Instant grits. I like Cream of Wheat as well but can't hang with the oatmeal.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
paintninaz

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: traveling honey Reply to topic Reply with quote

dreams_are_work wrote:
Skippy makes PB packets. They are shaped like a gogurt. I think the box is kind of bluish green, in the PB isle.

But they are really hard to find!! A few months ago the Skippy website didn't list any stores within a 250 mile radius of my zipcode that sold them....they now list one store as having sold them recently...an Albertson's-Osco, at 1919 W. Main in Mesa. It's within 250 miles, but still a bit far to drive for PB! Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
doug

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Target (Litchfield and mcDowell) had tubes of Skippy on the clearance rack last weekend
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So how many did you buy?

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like Cream of Wheat, too, IGO, I just don't think to bring it. I seem to recall eating grits once, I guess it was sorta like good ol Cream of Wheat. I like the hot granola concoction much better than the oatmeal, anyway. The main thing is I don't like dry food for breakfast.

And peanut butter, is, well, too sticky for early morning. I don't relish the idea of having my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth and all the mwah mwah mwah one would have to go through to get it swallowed. "Oh, gorgeous sunrise!" you'd say, leaning back in your Thermachair and sipping your coffee. "Mwah mwah mwah," says your companion "wan s' pea badah? Mwah!"
doug

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

none, I'm not a big pb eater like once in a while, but didn't think I would use it to backpack. Normal breakfast for me is a cliff bar or power bar harvest and maybe tang.
Lunch tnt or dry salami and string cheese on a tortilla or crackers.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I like Cream of Wheat, too, IGO, I just don't think to bring it. I seem to recall eating grits once, I guess it was sorta like good ol Cream of Wheat. I like the hot granola concoction much better than the oatmeal, anyway. The main thing is I don't like dry food for breakfast.

And peanut butter, is, well, too sticky for early morning. I don't relish the idea of having my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth and all the mwah mwah mwah one would have to go through to get it swallowed. "Oh, gorgeous sunrise!" you'd say, leaning back in your Thermachair and sipping your coffee. "Mwah mwah mwah," says your companion "wan s' pea badah? Mwah!"

OK, now I am laughin'! rofl

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 3/3/2006, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:

You are a nut. I think I'd really like your opinionated self. LOL.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/4/2006, 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aww! Thanks!

Re-reading the whole thread--back a couple pages they were discussing Clif Shots. I use these all the time for mtn. biking and long, fast hikes. I like the Mocha with caffeine added and also the Chocolate. Have tried the other flavors and also the Honey Stingers, which are more healthy but I don't like any of those quite as much as the Mocha and the Chocolate. To me it seems to have the consistency of that fudge syrup in a jar when kept in the fridge. It sort of tastes like that too, so you can imagine yourself sneaking a large spoonful of that fudge when your mother isn't looking. (Guilty as charged!) Clif Shots aren't sold here, I have to go 50 miles to Show Low to Cycle Mania bike shop to get them, or buy them online. And they are pretty expensive, for the amount you get! All this being said, I wouldn't DREAM of having one of them for my BREAKFAST!
dreams_are_work

PostPosted: 3/5/2006, 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: traveling honey Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
But they are really hard to find!! A few months ago the Skippy website didn't list any stores within a 250 mile radius of my zipcode that sold them....they now list one store as having sold them recently...an Albertson's-Osco, at 1919 W. Main in Mesa. It's within 250 miles, but still a bit far to drive for PB! Rolling Eyes

I think you can ask your local store to order them. I am not sure what chain does this. Or, I'd be happy to pick you up some the next time I am to the store.

Love is worth everything and can not be exchanged for anything.

Sarah
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/5/2006, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check one of the Safeway stores in your neighborhood. Two tubes magically appeared in my pantry, and that's usually the place I shop.

Sure don't remember buying them though. But that's a different story...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: