ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Breakfast Foods
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Breakfast Foods Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wondering if folks had some thoughts on:

Simple non messy breakfast options in places with no water source. Use of packed water is an option.

Bars get really old, really fast once you are on the trail for a few days
RockCrawler

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well...here's what I like, so brace yourself Very Happy Crunchy peanut butter and honey/jelly. Bread and stuff in seperate small tupperware containers. I also like those cheap cookies that are vanilla on one side chocolate on the other...great morning treat! Umm lets see, oh yeah beef jerky (my fav) and apples, not at the same time of course, gross. This stuff is fine if your not cooking, but if you have a stove...well don't get me started Smile
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I make oatmeal cookies with lots of raisens and nuts. That and pre-cooked bacon and a cup of coffee and we are ready to go. The cookies keep but they cease to be cookie shape after a couple of days--still taste good though.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dry Granola. Mainly the stuff with the big chunks in it. Stuff is good dry. Mr. Green

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Low water options Reply to topic Reply with quote

We read about this one on another hike site. Putting water into an packet of instant oatmeal and eating it right from the pack. We've since tried it with both regular (non-heated) water and heated water. Worked great either way. takes awhile to get past the weirdness of it but it's OK when you do. The other is bulghar. You can simply pour some water into a bag of it the night before and, presto, it's ready when you wake up the next morning. Add dried mint and some dried cirtrus peel and it's great.
Depending on your mood, you don't even need a sweetener to make it palatable. You can turn the zip lock inside out and lick it clean and reuse it, too.

j&s
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/27/2003, 4:19 pm    Post subject: FOOD! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check out the new "liquid jell" powerbar type stuff at REI. That stuff is pretty good and a great substitute for you ordinary "powerbar".
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"liquid jell?" thats wierd....How does that work? it does not sound good.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:11 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I forget the name of it, so i call it a "liquid jell". However, it really is good and a great change from the usual hard powerbar.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe he's talking about these...

http://www.powerbar.com/products/powerGel/index.asp
mike t

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like peanut butter and honey on a tortilla. Roll it up and enjoy. The tortillas keep well on the trail and pack easily due to the flat shape. Containing the PB and honey is kind of a pain but can be worked out. The PB gives you protein and slow burn calories, the honey gives you juice right away. Those gels like "Powergel" are mostly simple sugars and are probably best for races/marathons where you need a quick shot of energy NOW. I read an article some years back comparing them form different makers that didn't find a significant advantage over honey. Of course they're conveniently packaged though. Plummer150, sounds like you have used them. Have they lasted you over the long haul?
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 2:13 pm    Post subject: traveling honey Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike t wrote:
Containing the PB and honey is kind of a pain but can be worked out.

Idea Churchs Chicken has little packets of honey, just like the little ketchup packets you can get at all the other fast food places! Haven't found any packets of PB yet Rolling Eyes

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I eat whatever GTG pulls out of his pack Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
mike t

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote
Quote:

I eat whatever GTG pulls out of his pack

And with the weight of his pack, it's usually something substantial.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 2:35 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ha, thanks Mike. You found em. Those are it. There kind of a nice change from the bar form which is why I'm starting to use those power gels now instead.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Fruit Leather - Peanut Butter Sandwich Reply to topic Reply with quote

A "solid" replacement for jelly -- use fruit leather! Go try out a Fruit Leather - Peanut Butter Sandwich!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: