ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Breakfast Foods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I usually eat a cliff bar or two, thats it. Man do I love the cranberry kind Agree
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

THat power gel looks like the high sugar/carb content stuff for a quick energy boost, not a meal replacement. I understand the bars to be more complete, and the gel basically a shot of corn syrup. I have a little palm size flask just for some Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, which is a cheaper alternative to things like Gu and other energy shots.
plummer150

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:01 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woah, sweet, did I hear someone say Churches Chicken? I'll have to try that one next time!
cactuscat

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fruit Leather - Peanut Butter Sandwich Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
A "solid" replacement for jelly -- use fruit leather! Go try out a Fruit Leather - Peanut Butter Sandwich!

I'll be trying that soon - sounds good!

I always crave something substantial, what I refer to as "real" food when I'm on a long hike. I just found something really satisfying - I just nuked a Morningstar Farms veggie burger in the morning, and had a great trail lunch of veggie burger on a bun with mustard and ketchup and potato chips and juice pouch - YUM!! Much better than yet another Clif Bar.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My understanding is that the powergel/gu/cliffshot packets are indeed intended for quick energy boosts. Current practice dictates that an "athlete" needs to ingest calories/protein/carbs approx. every 30-45 minutes durring an activity of long duration...they're often provided during marathons, I know long distance runners staple them to their shirt/shorts during long runs/training. The original version of this new "food" was called JOGMATE. I participated in product testing prior to it's release for sale. It came in a tube like toothpaste, had the consistency of pudding, looked like chocolate pudding and tasted like chalky chocolate pudding...Jogmate is still around and still tastes the same way. Gu/powergel/cliffshots taste a bit better, more of a catsup consistency...(perhaps a bit thicker...bbq sauce maybe)...some of them are now available with caffeine....which certainly does provide a boost.

I've used a few of them on hiking/backpacking trips...not bad and they don't take up much space....on the flip side...Pat's tried them...she thinks they're disgusting.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This power gel stuff sounds wierd. I guess seeing or tasting is believing. I guess I'll have to get myself some just to see what it's like.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used gel -- Ilike the one made by Clif Bar (Clif Shot). Gel is good - quick pick me up when you are loosing steam fast but I would definitely recommend supplemental nutrition!

Some of the better tasting ones ( Mocha- Clif Shot) are great for trail desert!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/30/2003, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Some of the better tasting ones ( Mocha- Clif Shot) are great for trail desert!

Those are good! I like the chocolate Power Gel's, too. Canyon Dweller, they may sound weird, but they're really not bad. They're great for a quick boost on a long hike. I've used them mostly on Rim-to-River-to-Rim and Rim-to-Rim dayhikes in the Grand Canyon, or sometimes on longer hikes in the Superstitions. You should wash them down with a couple mouthfuls of water.
kiluam

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fruit Leather - Peanut Butter Sandwich Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
A "solid" replacement for jelly -- use fruit leather! Go try out a Fruit Leather - Peanut Butter Sandwich!

i like how this forum is about breakfast foods, and yet we're talking about lunch, veggie burgers..honey..corn syrup..etc..i guess its all good..who am i kidding, id eat anything for breakfast that tasted good, that is different from a cold pop tart or cereal bar..im vegetarian, and so i really like the fruit leathers..they provide a decent boost of energy..trader joes has quite a few flavors of them..granola is good..doesnt instant ice exist yet?? Laughing but two of my favorites to bring along the trail is those peanut butter crackers and gushers fruit snacks..good stuff..that would also be a decent breakfast for me, as i dont eat much in the mornings..
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/7/2003, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Breakfast (and everything but dinner) is best served cold. If I'm eating on the trail that usually means I'm backpacking, and that means I want an early start in the morning. Plus I hate building fires or pulling out the stove, then having to let it cool off before I can stow it. I like a little granola/trail mix combo for breakfast.

My favorite method is to pour some granola into a bandana and strap it on like a feedbag. Always a favorite method if there are people who don't know me in the group - or kids. Otherwise it's just plain practical. I don't like powdered milk, and nothing else really goes with it, so pouring it into a bandana is quick and easy, and nothing to clean afterwards - you can even start your hike and keep eating without having to worry about putting away your cup/bowl.

However, if I am on a short trip, all bets are off. I'll most likely whip out the stove and make a nice Denver Omlett or something equally tasty and envious for breakfast.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
k9hiker

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

THere are also some new gel type things made from honey. I saw them at the Hiking Shack. THey are mostly honey but with a few added goodies.

I just foun these breakfast sticks at Trader joes today. They are called Force Primeval Bars - walnut, apple, and raisin bars. They look kind of like bagles style bread but shaped like a bar instead of round.
These dipped in honey and PB, oh momma!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went to a talk last month given by Dr. Tom Myers (Over the Edge). I was reading the handouts he gave us last night and he mentioned that many of the foods we choose for breakfast are short on salt. What this means is that we start off on a warm day without enough salt (you can't eat too much--your body just gets rid of it). I plan to take this into account when choosing breakfast foods in the future.
plummer150

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 11:32 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So what exactly are you saying then? We should have alot of salt or we shouldn't be taking in a lot of salt because we just burn it off faster anyways. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't make the connection there. I guess it's too early in the morning.....haha. Wink
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/14/2003, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
I.... he mentioned that many of the foods we choose for breakfast are short on salt. What this means is that we start off on a warm day without enough salt (you can't eat too much--your body just gets rid of it).

Excellent point..except if your brekfast consists of cheese-its & such! Very Happy

Are there some good Breakfast food recomendations that account for this ? Usually I supplement my breakfast with some kind of Gookinaid/Emergen-C type stuff in my drinking water.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 8/23/2003, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have used the tortilla idea and liked that. Breakfast burritos are pretty good for the first morning. I recently tried buscuits and really liked them. They keep really well and are yummy with PB, jelly, honey, butter, pre-cooked bacon, ham, cheese, eggs if your cooking or whatever. THey also reheat nicely if you do have fire. I just cut them open and lay them out on one of the fire ring rocks if we have a fire going, otherwise cold is fine too.

I also like fruit, but that can get heavy so it's usually only on the first day, then dehydrated fruit for the rest.

My favorite morning starter is a snickers bar though! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trail & Camp Food All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: